Time in Hospital

chakazullo

Country
United States United States
Surgery is scheduled, and I want to know what my rights are as a patient. I inquired about rehab, but they said I would not be a candidate since I am only 47 years old. I called my insurance, and they said they would cover it, but only if it is medically necessary. There's the catch...the doctor has to say it's medically necessary, and I would like to stay more than 1 day in the hospital. The doctors obviously want you out as soon as possible to make more money by turning over beds..what would you do in this situation? I have lots of steps and not much help at home

I spent 1 night at the hospital, my OS said I could stay 2 or 3 if I wanted as I would have met my out of pocket. I didn't but a co worker that used the same OS did. As far as rehab I don't know what you're looking for. If you read this site you'll see there really is no rehab beyond eating properly,resting,icing and walking.

If you are concern because of little help at home and insurance will cover I would express this to surgeon to deem it necessary for your peace of mind. If you can stay at least two nights at hospital so you feel comfortable going home that does benefit you. Hospital staff is there to help you feel confident when you leave, that is part of their job. I stayed an extra day just for that confidence.

The faster out of the hospital the better, less chances for risk of infection and a chance to get some much needed rest.
One day in next day out in some cases if surgery is early in a.m. the patient can be cleared to go home later the same day, provided they pass the protocol for release.I'm sure that’s the same in your case.
Before a patient is released home the physio therapy nurse will come into your room after surgery. They are very good at giving instructions for walking with the walker, getting up and down from bed, bathroom is important, up and down stairs, getting in and out of a vehicle.You will only be released to go home once you have navigated all the physical and medical protocols. Some patients have a home nurse drop by once a week the first couple of weeks before the 6 weeks doctor visit to check on the patient.
Also can also see on you tube the hip recovery exercises. Your insurance should cover the initial requirements after 6 weeks ask your doctor for a prescription for physio therapy is all that is needed. Also if water therapy is offered it’s a little gentler on the new hip once incision has healed.

Many healing blessings sent your way. :angel:

Last edited:
@chakazullo Times have definitely changed when it comes to the length of hospital stays. I learned this first hand when my husband had open heart surgery in 2010 to replace his aortic valve. He stayed in the hospital only 3 nights. Before he was discharged, he had recovered from the immediate trauma of the surgery, his vitals were stable, he was showing no signs of infection or other complications, he was eating and going to the bathroom, showering, walking, and managing stairs. He was ready for 6 weeks of dedicated recuperation, and he was both safer at home and far more comfortable.

What I learned: hospitals are for treatment. We recuperate best at home.

As for what your “rights” are, there might be a different way to ask some questions to get you answers:

What does “medically necessary” mean?
What kinds of patients need to go to skilled nursing facilities after they are discharged from the hospital?
What can I do now to prepare my house for my recuperation?
What insurance benefits do I have for in-home therapy or other support?

And, depending on your individual circumstances, you can then start to identify the tools you’ll need at home, as well as volunteer or possibly paid helpers for the first couple of weeks, and put your plans in place.

I am required to attend a class that covers all this. What sort of orientation does your OS or hospital provide?

While it is normal to be concerned, hospital is unlikely to discharge you before you are ready. I am 58 and my new left THR is 1 week old today. I asked - and was allowed - to be discharged home within 36 hours of surgery (2 nights). After being mobilized on crutches and being able to have a shower, and even though I was sore & stiff (normal), I knew I would make better progress at home with pain relief. And, husband at home for part of the day to help. Really, we are all different. A good surgeon, positive mindset and relevant support are your best tools for recovery. As others say, once op over, rest, relevant exercises and short walks work well. Pain relief if/when needed helps - be sure and ask. Listen to your body (good at giving signals!), take your time and try not to worry. I have felt better everyday and one week on notice a big difference.
Best of luck, Joan

@chakazullo Do you have a friend or neighbour who could stop by once a day in the first few days you are home? You will be moving around independently before you are discharged. But having someone check on you and maybe move things that you can't or drop off groceries is a comfort.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks