Time for my third arthroplasty, this time a shoulder

livendive

Country
United States United States
I'm probably among the younger members in this forum...at 48, my new hips are will turn 3 in January (right) and March (left). I've had three prior surgeries on my left shoulder and am getting a new one next Tuesday due to quite a bit of destruction on the humeral side, with a dash of AVN thrown in for good measure. I won't know exactly what type till I wake up...hemi if the glenoid side cartilage looks good and the suture anchors from my arthroscopic bankart repair (my first surgery) aren't poking out and responsible for the destruction of my humeral ball. If the anchors have to be removed, the hope is to progress to a ream and run, but only if enough glenoid bone can be preserved after anchor removal. Worst case scenario, the anchors have to come out and result in too much damage to the glenoid to save it, in which case I'll also get a prosthetic socket, complete with plastic liner. As a very active 48 year old, that is definitely not my preference, but I can't stick with what I've got now.

I am a bit anxious about maintaining a weight loss regimen I've been on this year...I'm down 35 lbs since March with about 20 lbs to go, and don't want this to be an excuse to become a couch slug and gain weight.

As an aside, it looks like I'm on track to technically get two more artificial joints before this year is out, though not nearly as extreme. I got my C5-C6 vertebrae fused at the same time as my left hip resurfacing, but we left the obviously damaged C3-C4 and C4-C5 alone because they were asymptomatic, which is no longer the case. My neuro already said he'd do a two-level disc replacement as soon as I told him I'm ready, and that day seems to be rapidly approaching.

Anyhow, just stopping in to say hi...I'm back after a couple year hiatus. Any advice on maintaining or continuing to lose weight during shoulder rehab is welcome. At a minimum I expect that I'll at least be able to go for extended walks after a week or so. Just need to have some self control on the snacking while I watch way more TV than normal.

I have had two rotator cuff surgeries and they were both very painful, I am hoping that they will last for the rest of my life!!

Surgery done Tuesday and I got to come home Wednesday. The 4 hour drive home had me playing catch-up with pain all night, but it's now under control. Ended up with just a humeral side hemiarthroplasty. Attached is a picture of the recently evicted humeral ball. My surgeon said, "It's supposed to be white and as smooth as a baby's butt. Apparently your baby's butt spent several years in a war zone."

Livendive.jpg

Wow! That's one nasty critter!

An update. Recovery has gone really well. I returned to part time work telecommuting from home the week after surgery, then a couple weeks of full time telecommuting, then returned to my office yesterday, 4 weeks post op. Have been diligent with my PT at home and have basically full external rotation back, and most of my forward flexion...maybe 165-170 degrees. Pain is much reduced, still ups & downs but better than I expected at this point in recovery. Onward and upward! Picture of my latest addition just for fun.

upload_2017-10-6_22-5-16.png

Attachments

• ai67.tinypic.com_qmyg5l.jpg
    ai67.tinypic.com_qmyg5l.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 247
Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member