Time for hip number two

51desoto

Country
United States United States
After almost 6 years it is time to get another new hip. Surgery is scheduled for February 26. My right hip was replaced in May 2013, and I could not be happier with the results. Like many here I knew I would need a new left hip and the time is now. I'm using the same surgeon as before, and he tells me there have been improvements in the last 6 years and recovery should be easier. Even though I am 72, he thinks I can expect similar results. (no guarantees, of course) The anterior approach only left me with a fading 4 inch scar. I am interested in the experience of others that have had a second THR after several years.

:hi: @51desoto and welcome to BoneSmart!
Glad you had such good results with your first hip though even desoto wasn't born until :what:um 1500s maybe?:heehee: Maybe that is 2013?
Lots of folks here that would love to share your recovery journey.
I, too, had anterior approach and have been super pleased with the results.
My scars are a tad longer than yours...maybe 6 inches..but I'm sure you will have another great surgery.
Double hippy happy very soon!

Hi there :wave:
I'll be watching your thread and following your journey.
Encouraging words from your OS for sure
I'll bet you do great. :yes:
Wishing you comfort as you await the 26th. :)
@51desoto

@51desoto As you can see in my signature I had several years between my THRs. Indeed recovery from #2 was totally different from the first. But much of that was based on not waiting too long the second time.

I'm sure you will be delighted once this is all done and dusted. No more worries about bad hips when you join the double hippie club!

@LdnFizz is recovering with new hip number two!
Lots of double hippys on the forum including @Jaycey.
I can't speak to recoveries years apart as I had bilateral THR but
hopefully they can give you some insight.

I had a second THR a bit over a year after the first. Both recoveries were relatively easy and uneventful, but the second was clearly textbook easy. I had posterior approaches from both, with only 4 inch scars as well. Having full mobility back was life-changing! We will look forward to seeing your progress.

Nice to hear the encouragement from other double hippies. Like some others, I pulled the trigger quicker on the second hip, because I can't see any advantage in being in pain for months or years. There is less anxiety than the first time, but it is still a big deal. There are parts of the day where I'm not in too much pain that gives me a little doubt that maybe I should wait a little longer. Then I lie awake at night because I can't get comfortable, and I'm ready to get it done. Mostly, I want to get it done right now so I can get on with healing. Spring is coming, and I don't want to be limping around, in pain, when the weather is finally nice. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Good luck. Having delayed my first one- really far too long and until I was in bad pain and quite immobile all the time- I decided to have number two before the deterioration of life and strength made things harder.. and although I'm only at nearly 12 weeks- this was totally the right decision. Recovery has been so much easier not having been really debilitated and it's so positive looking forward to doing things. I do have some niggles with both hips together- as my first replaced hip wasn't at full strength when I had second op as I think it was so weak before- and so I think because I have had been relying on it sometimes, it gets a bit groany.. but you shouldn't have that problem as you've had that extra time to rebuild the strength from the first hip.

This was a long way of saying- do ask any questions... but sounds like you're going for it at a good time. Many people do seem to find number 2 easier- I know everyone will say- each surgery and recovery is individual - but... hopefully yours will be nice and straightforward too... good luck.

:wave:All the best today as you join the double hippy club!
Will look for you on the Healing Side.:tada:

All the best today! See you on the other side soon!

Wishing you all the best!
See you on the bright side :SUNsmile:
@51desoto

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties