Rotator Cuff Repair Time for a Rotator Cuff repair

gecko

senior
Country
Australia Australia
Hi everyone its been a few years since my last post I had bilateral TKR , and now have injured my shoulder I have a 13mm full thickness tear due to a gardening accident, and having it repaired on the 10/11/22, you were such an amazing support for the knees was wondering should I do any special preparation

@gecko Welcome back ... though I am sorry you have a shoulder injury and upcoming surgery. Unlike knees and hips you don't need any special equipment for shoulder surgery. For now practice doing things one handed. Which shoulder is it that needs repair? Dominant side will be harder to get use to than if it's your nondominant side that needs the repair. Do you have help at home? You will be able to manage most things on your own even if it's a bit awkward at first.

Ice packs will again be your best friend. And the same philosophy for PT applies - yes you need it but slow and gentle is the best way to go. There are a number of threads over in the shoulder recovery area related to rotator cuff repair -- those can give good ideas of what was helpful for others.

I went a bit overboard in preparing but I thought I was going to be on my own after the first week. Covid changed that - my son's dorm closed so he was able to (had to) stay with me longer. The first post of my rotator cuff thread has some information for you to consider.

Some of it depends on whether you'll have someone to help you and whether it's your dominant arm (mine was). Think of what clothes you'll be able to comfortably put on and take off. Meal prep is a definitely plus (don't forget to cut the meat). I found hand towels easier to use than bath towels. One must was the hands-free can opener (I've given a few of those as gifts since then).

Where will you be sleeping do you need to modify it? Your shoulder will probably not be able to lay flat for some time.

Thankyou so much for your replies, yes it is my dominant arm (left), and I will have help most of the time, great hints will get my hand towells out, and sort my wardrobe, I am already trying to use my non dominant hand (right) specially in my personal care but find it is getting sore already

It may be sore now but better to build up the stamina now! Another item to consider with it being your dominant hand is an electric toothbrush. Yes, you can struggle thru with out it but there are enough issues to deal with and you might as well make this task easier!

@sara Thanks Sara, luckily aI have electric toothbrush, can I ask how was your pain 3 days post surgery, I am having surgery this Thursday and was taking my mum to watch her grandaughter in a dance competion the Sunday I have made other arrangments for getting mum there but wondered if I could possibly still go, I have heard that shoulder recovery can be quite painful.

Last edited:
Good Morning all, well the time as arrived surgery in 6 hours :flabber: see you in recovery

Thank you so much for this information as I have a Reverse Rotator Cuff surgery on my primary, right shoulder so this will help.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back