BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Time for a new Right Knee!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Mountain Kat, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Mountain Kat

Mountain Kat senior

United States United States
    I'm back! Hello to those I remember from before and it's nice to meet everyone who's joined in my absence.

I haven't been a very active member for some time, but this group was super helpful when I had my left knee done 7½ years ago. Now it's time to get the right knee done too. Surgery is scheduled for this Friday June 14th.

I had to squeeze in a trip to visit family and celebrate my niece's graduation before my surgery, but now I'm home and trying to get ready. I'm sure I am forgetting things and I know things have changed a lot since 2011 when I had my left TKR though. So, I won't so no to any tips you all might have for me...

2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @Mountain Kat - and :welome: back.
    I'm sorry you've ot to go through another TKR, though.

Here is some information to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

• Like Like x 1
  3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    And here is a preview of the post-op reading:
    Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Best wishes!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Atlas_aus

Atlas_aus member

Australia Australia
    Welcome back.

I am sure a lot has changed in the replacement world since your last, for the better I am hoping.

How is your replaced knee going ?

6. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Welcome back! I'm sorry you have to go through all this again.

I had my TKR in April of 2014, and a revision in June of 2018. The changes in just those four years was pretty surprising (to me at least) and yours was three years before that, so I'm thinking you'll see quite a bit of change. One of the biggest, and most surprising, changes I saw was the hospital stay afterwards has gone from an expected 3, 4 or 5 days, to no hospital stay at all, except in certain cases. I'm not sure what the hospital stay will be for your surgery, or if you'll stay at all; it's different from hospital to hospital and doctor to doctor, but more and more I see it becoming an outpatient procedure. There have been other changes, but that was the one that I noticed most.

My advice is to read all the articles Celle left for you; they really do help. I don't know if you had an electric ice machine for your TKR, I didn't for mine but had one for my revision, and the difference in consistent icing was huge. If you haven't already bought one, or your hospital doesn't provide one; if it fits into your budget, and you think you'd like one, it's well worth the money, IMPO. The other thing I didn't have for my TKR but bought for my revision was the Lounge Doctor for elevating. Those two items were my new BFFs after the surgery and I am so glad I had them both.

Good luck on Friday and we'll see you on the other side very soon! Please keep us posted as you are able.

7. rosieNZ

rosieNZ member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes to everything Kim says!!!!
    Knee surgery is a challenge but with an ice machine it was so much easier for me.
    I hired Game Ready and bought an Aircast. Game Ready was wonderful.
    I also bought a Lounge Doctor. Only used it for the first post op week but thats when you really need it!!
    The only other thing I love was a cheap leg lifter during that first 1-2 weeks. It helps to hoist your leg up onto the lounge doctor whilst you settle back to ice and snooze.
    Bliss!!!
    Rosie

8. Mountain Kat

Mountain Kat senior

Thank you Celle for the links and articles. I've read through them and it was a great refresher, which was definitely needed!

9. Mountain Kat

Mountain Kat senior

My left knee is still better than it's ever been! Other than I twisted it on an airplane last week so it has been a bit sore - just temporary though. It is still my weaker leg, even with the right knee going. After over 40 years of arthritis in that knee though, it is understandable. I've never regretted having my TKR and said then that I wouldn't let my right knee get as bad. I think that is where I'm at now, it is definitely limiting me and I've had to cut out some activities, but I haven't really noticed much loss of strength so it seems like the right balance.

10. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Mountain Kat,
    Welcome Back!
    Sound like you are more than ready for your right TKR, wonderful to hear how well your left TKR is doing. You have received excellent advice to prepare for your recovery from others, all the best on Friday.

11. Mountain Kat

Mountain Kat senior

Thanks Kim and Rosie! The ice machine was the best thing ever! I still have mine and they said I would be getting a new one - probably a good thing, I haven't checked to make sure the old one works yet. I have something similar to the lounge doctor that I used last time and plan to use again. It was very helpful I remember.

The hospital stay is planned to be just overnight, but I guess that depends on how you do after surgery. Very different from last time when I was there for four days! I can see the benefit of getting home sooner, but I'm not looking forward to the drive - we are an hour from the hospital!

Working on laundry and the last remaining house work today. Have to start the shower protocol this evening - that is also something new this time around.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mountain Kat

Mountain Kat senior

Thanks Pumpkin - I'm pretty sure I remember that name from last time!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

One and the same, my TKR was about 6 weeks before yours.

• Like Like x 2
  14. LorraineA

LorraineA new member

Best of everything, Mountain Kat! I'm a bit over 2 months out for my left TKR - next spring for the right. One thing I was enormously grateful for on the first one was the amount of meals I had made and frozen in portion sizes beforehand. I think I would have starved the first 2 weeks otherwise. :swoon:But if you aren't on your own, that won't be an issue.
    One thing I wish I had, and will for the next surgery, is a porta-potty by my bed just for the first couple of nights. Those were rough nights. I did use heavy duty bladder control pads, though, so it worked out, but less struggling would have been nice.
    I agree with the others. You may well be pleasantly surprised by how far the surgery has come in the past 7 years. Hopefully that means faster recovery, too!