BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Time for a New Hip?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by DinVegas, May 14, 2019.

1. DinVegas

DinVegas junior member

United States United States
    After having a left TKR in 5/2017 and a right TKR in 4/2018 I started realizing that my left leg/lower back was hurting all the time. I figured it might be something with my Left TKR but visiting my OS on Friday I found out I had severe arthritis in my left hip, bone on bone. I was shocked and said "well I'm not having surgery again". He prescribed a hip injection which I'm having this Thursday. Over the weekend I realized that I spent a couple of years stringing my knees along with injections and was much happier once they were replaced.

My knee OS doesn't do hips so I found a different OS who came highly recommended through a friend in the medical field. My appointment with him is 5/23 and I'm hoping that I can just work to schedule surgery and not mess around. We have plans for a family vacation this fall and I limped through our last vacation I want to be able to walk with my family.

Looking for any input on hip injections (I'm a little nervous) and encouragement for surgery. When I initially started hurting I thought if I needed surgery I'd wait until retirement but that's a year off and I'm done with pain.

2. J-nice

J-nice member

I just did the injection yesterday (also bone on bone) and now I sort of regret it. I know it’s too soon to see if it helps the pain but I realize now I probably won’t be able to have surgery for a minimum of three months due to the injection. I saw the ortho at Cleveland Clinic and he advised to do the injection. I should have seen the OS first to get his opinion. See what your OS says.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DinVegas

DinVegas junior member

I didn't even think of that. I'm going to see if I can get in to see the doctor sooner and postpone or cancel my injection.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
  4. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

If your hip is bad, it will not help in the long run, just postpone the inevitable as you said. My OS has a 6m wait after a hip injection before surgery. I just had the injection mainly because they have to prove to the insurance company that we tried conservative treatment. This will ensure that I do not get denied at the last minute. My reason for going along is the fact that I do not want a denial and my OS books about 5m out anyways. They also let me schedule the replacement at the same time so at least I have my 6m slot reserved. I cannot wait to have it all done and really be on my way to recovery and a life without pain.

Talk to your OS first and then see if you still want/need the injection.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chappyd

Chappyd member

I had a couple of them. The 1st one worked for a few years. The 2nd not so much. I'm still recovering but am pretty sure I made a really good decision to get the hip done. Good luck with yours!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

Chiming in to confirm that I was also told there would be a waiting period between an injection and surgery - and also that injections are generally less effective for hips than knees for a variety of reasons. I can’t comment on insurance approval but it sounds prudent to look into this as well.

It sounds like you have some information to gather before proceed with the injection if you decide to do that first. Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Elf1

Elf1 senior

Chiming in with the rest as I went the injection route for quite a few years. Sometimes you can get a little relief if you have a skilled person giving the shot, the hit the exact right spot, etc but even then it doesn't usually last very long. My pain management doc who did the shots even said you know you're going to have to get the hip replaced eventually because these are just going to stop working altogether. Which they did. Would definitely check with the OS to see what they think and if an injection will push you back for surgery. Wishing you the best.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. J-nice

J-nice member

Today I actually feel a little better from the injection. It took over an hour sitting in the car to see my surgeon and that usually sparks up a lot of pain but today it didn’t. My surgery date is set! July 1st! I trust my surgeon (he did my other hip) and he cleared me to have the surgery.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

Best of both worlds, @J-nice! Short-term relief and a date for the long-term answer on the calendar! Great new spot!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DinVegas

DinVegas junior member

I saw my hip surgeon today and have a date for surgery. Left THR on June 26! No injections before then. He did give me tramadol for night time pain. I'm just started meloxicam so hopefully between those two I can survive until surgery. Although a bit nervous, I'm pretty excited to have a date. Reading the hip forums has reassured me that this is the way to go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

Congratulations on getting date. :yes!: For me it is always better even with the pain when I have a set date to aim for. It's that light at the end of the tunnel and it is not a train about to run me over but surgical lights. I hope the Tramadol helps you with sleep. The hips are an easier recovery than the knees is all I remember from my first hip after the knees.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Elf1

Elf1 senior

Hope the Tramadol gives you a little relief if not more. Glad you have a date, you're 2 days after me. We both have something to look forward to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Hip4life

Hip4life junior member

@DinVegas I’m so glad you saw the OS and got the date. My understanding is bone on bone isn’t fixed by anything except surgery and injections can post pone the much needed surgery. I went way too long bone on bone and nothing really helped until surgery. I know I was nervous, too but the date helps give you something to work for and makes the time go by more quickly. We’re here for you. :yes:

• Like Like x 3
  14. J-nice

J-nice member

@Elf1 I take 1 or 2 Tramadol a day and it helps me a lot and I’m bone on bone. I’m also taking supplements to help with inflammation and getting my immune system as strong as possible. Your surgery is a little more than a week before mine! We’re all going through this together!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. DinVegas

DinVegas junior member

Well the Tramadol was not helping when I took it just once at night. My niece (a GP) said I really should be taking more of it and to take it with tylenol. I took the tramadol at 6 pm, 10 pm and then 3:30 am and feel a bit better today. I also found a cane that I've used in the past. The cane alone is helping a lot to take the stress off of my hip. Heating pads, ice packs and tens machine rounds out my pain arsenal. 35 days until relief.

Has anyone had trouble getting prescriptions approved by their insurance? The OS wrote me a 10 day prescription for the Tramadol but the pharmacy said my insurance would only pay for a 7 day supply, so I paid out of pocket. I'm wondering how that will work for my post op meds - am I supposed to run to the doctor once a week for pain meds?

16. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Afternoon @DinVegas. My is gave me script for tramadol in March for 50 tablets with one refill. Didn't have problem with ins for it. After my right hip done 3yr ago I would call and they would mail me the written script. My os is like 55 miles from me. I'm concerned also about getting what I need this time around with the opioid scare. I'm going to ask on my pre op appointment. Best of luck :wave:

17. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

@DinVegas Your question about the rules and restrictions that govern prescriptions and refills is spot on. It’s one of the most troublesome aspects of pain management. I have never been the patient before in this scenario, but I have been the caregiver/prescription refiller more times than I can count. Here are some things I have learned:

insurance companies change their guidelines and they don’t inform the doctors. Pharmacies are caught in the middle. Doctors are usually willing to rewrite the prescription to match the insurance guidelines, but unless you’ve allowed extra time for extra steps, you might not be able to wait. Then the insurance company wins, because they’ve effectively denied a claim by motivating you to pay out of pocket.

If you can find out in advance which drugs your doctor is most likely to prescribe, you can place a call to your insurance company in advance and find out all the rules for that drug. Those might include: hard copy only, maximum number of days per prescription, maximum dosage allowed per prescription, maximum refills for the same diagnosis, requirements for office visits to reconfirm pain diagnosis. Your doctor should also be able to tell you about required office visits to reconfirm pain diagnosis. These policies are increasingly being determined by state legislatures, so try not to judge him too harshly if the answers are eyebrow-raising. The opiate epidemic has dramatically affected prescription policies; these new rules are meant to make sure post-surgical patients get the controlled drugs that they need and not a single pill more.

Forwarned is forarmed.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. DinVegas

DinVegas junior member

As I get closer to my surgery date I keep wondering if the THR will take care of the aches and pains on that side of my body. Tell me your good recovery stories!

19. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 member

I too have been waiting for as long as possible before calling my MD for Tramadol. It helped with my knee. But I am 2.5 months out some 80 days.. Meanwhile grit my teeth and hope my hollering doesn't wake my hubby up. Sleep comes but in short installments. Glad I have no work to go to.

• Like Like x 2
  20. julesglass

julesglass graduate

The aches and pain in your back, leg that is coming from the hip will go or become minimal. I have back issues so don't expect it to totally go, however I do know it will be alot less once lefty is out of here. Talk to your surgeon about pain management. My MD would not give me any, surgeon did to get me to surgery. Taking tramadol one in morning just to get through work day. Sometimes I need a second in afternoon on bad days. Pity a few bad apples ruin it for us that going to need it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1