Time for a matching set (of knees)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racewalker45

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone,

I had a left patellar femoral arthroplasty back in March 2014 and wanted to take a break for the summer before getting the next knee done. My first knee is doing well so far, and I am back to the gym. Now it's time to plan for the right knee, which is actually worse than than the left. I was able to get scheduled for October 13th. I haven't been on this site for what seems like a long time, so it is good to be back lurking and reminding myself of everything this forum has taught me as I get ready for round 2. As with the left knee, I won't know until surgery day if I will buy a PKR or a TKR this time around. Losing a bit of weight did make a difference, but I am still reminded that I have a knee that is bone on bone. So, I am ready for my matching set.

@Racewalker45 Welcome back to bonesmart! Hope all goes well with you! I am sure an advisor will be along soon to welcome you. There are a lot of great people on this forum and lots of great advice.

Good to hear from you and to know you are on schedule for getting that other knee taken care of. I'm so happy to hear how well you're doing with your first surgery!

Be sure and let us know if any questions or concerns pop up. But, you're an old hand at this now....so I'm sure you'll be just fine!

Welcome back! I will be having my second tkr in September. You sound like you have done very well! I look forward to your recovery posts!

Good to see you again and glad your first knee is going well. You're right, Bsmart will continue to be a help for you on #2

Thank you all! The recovery from my first surgery has exceeded my expectations. Don't get me wrong, I get some soreness as I increase my exercise and sometimes over do it, but this site has helped me to be realistic about exercise and the time it take to heal. Gosh, my left knee is only 4 months old, so I know I am still healing. This site keeps me honest. I have a sneaky suspicion that my next surgery will be a TKR. I can't tell you why I feel that way, it's just gut feeling.

Glad to hear things went so well with your first knee! Here's hoping it will even be better the second time around! Welcome back!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

I had my pre-op appointment this week and found out that I will be having general as opposed to spinal anesthesia. I have had facet joint and epidural injections in my lumbar spine this summer which is the reason why. I don't mind, but I suspect that I will probably stay the night at least. I had a spinal for my first knee back in March 2014 at 7 AM and was discharged by 8PM that same night. Also, since I have lost 80lbs, I don't need to take Lovenox this time around, only aspirin 81mg for 8 weeks. I am glad as the Lovenox gave me a nasty rash the last time I took it.

On another note, I had a hard time filling my oxycodone prescription given to me for my post op pain. I had to go to 4 pharmacies before one had enough in stock to fill it. My regular pharmacy didn't even offer to order it for me. Apparently pharmacies are being restricted on the amount of Schedule II drugs they can have in stock, which can cause major problems for folks who need pain medication chronically, and for parents whose children take meds for ADD/ADHD. As a pharmacist, that annoys me, and as a patient, it frustrated me. Fortunately I was able to get my full Rx filled at a Walgreens. I may even transfer my Rxs to them moving forward, they gave much better service and have better prices.

Anyway, Monday, Oct 13th is the day, and I can't wait. I don't have as much prep this time as I already have the walker, can, commode and ice machine. The CPM machine has already been delivered and I will do outpatient PT as before. To those also having surgery next week, best of luck!

Hello everyone,

Welcome back @Racewalker45 !
I had general anesthesia and loved it. I was up and about as soon as I was back to my room.

All the very best tomorrow for your surgery. :thumb::thumb:

Looking forward to hearing about your surgery in a post op thread.

Best wishes for tomorrow!

Hope all went well today for you, I go in tomorrow. My anaesthetist says he does a general and I can choose either a spinal or epidural or the pump. I'm going for the epidural as he says I will be up and about sooner.
Good luck, see you on the other side!

Thank you all! I had surgery today at 7:30 AM and am home resting. I was able to have a right patellofemoral arthroplasty (not a TKR as I had originally suspected), and did well enough to go home the same day. Starting a thread in the Post op area.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie