TKR Time for #2

And WHOMP! Had a real sense of being jerked from the warm, comforting, and encouraging BoneSmart cocoon into some insane, hyper-competitive, random, arbitrary alternate reality Hahaha
These people can really be a downer. Don't listen to her, you are doing great! I don't know why PT wants to brow beat so many patients. Do they think it actually helps to have a depressed patient to work with!?? I think not!

Is it wrong to get pleasure from messing with PT? haha
You know my answer to that? Have a ball messing with PT. They sure seem to get pleasure from messing with us!

Despite me being a right pain in the neck to my PT. He told me I was his favourite patient and thanked me for at least listening to him even though I refused to do what he was saying! He had a good sense of humour I think. Sadly lacking in most PTs.

Recovery continues to go well. I think that now, in my third joint replacement, I’m finally REALLY giving the joint a chance to heal and totally, totally embracing BoneSmart philosophy.

I followed the philosophy for the other two but kind of had to force myself to do so. I was still much more stressed about progress and numbers and the things other people said.

For this replacement, some people (PT, some friends and family) are still making comments about how far along they believe I should be. Or how much hard work I have ahead of me.

It’s easier to just let the comments roll off this time.

This time it feels much more serene, gentle, patient, and natural. The philosophy makes total sense and frees up all that anxiety.

Have fully embraced patience.

I know good things will happen if I just do the things I can do and then step back, actually giving the good things a chance to happen.

I’m hanging out elevating and icing for hours and hours, walking for 10-15 minutes several times a day, stretching several times a day, and napping when possible.

I was able to make a full backwards rotation on the stationary bike yesterday (seat set high) and will add 5-10 backwards revolutions to the activities I do several times a day.

Swelling is slowly reducing, walking gets more natural feeling, I’m getting more comfortable using a cane, and can occasionally go without any assistive devices in my small house. Of course I’ll always use a cane outside of the house.

I’m still not driving and don’t think I’ll drive this week. It’s cold, snowy, and windy here and I had the right knee done (US resident). Think I’ll give it another week.

I’m not sleeping well, but I know it’ll come.

So - thanks again to the forum for all of the encouragement, information, and community.

Georgia

I was able to make a full backwards rotation on the stationary bike yesterday
Yay! For so early in your recovery that's great news! Going backwards almost always comes before the forward revolution. It's just a short time now and you'll be able to do that!
For this replacement, some people (PT, some friends and family) are still making comments about how far along they believe I should be. Or how much hard work I have ahead of me.
Don't listen to these people. It isn't their knee, it's yours! Your recovery is unique to you. No one else's recovery is is the same as yours. You are coming along really good. Don't let anyone bust your bubble!

Wow! I am amazed at your progress! I love this forum and read it several times - day and night. It’s been a life saver for me. I had my left knee replacement on Monday, November 26th and am just starting to feel “human” again!
This forum has helped this highly introverted person feel not so isolated and alone. It has been extremely beneficial over the weeks of sleepless night, pain, extreme stiffness, pushy physical therapist and times when I questioned my “why” to the choice of a tkr. I so value the sharing!

@deedee65

I totally agree!! So much good information and community here.

And it’s definitely a place to come during sleepless hours.

I’ve had relatively easy recoveries. Not that I haven’t done my fair share of moaning, sometimes justifiably so.

But that’s another thing this site has done for me: it really puts different recoveries into perspective and has made me feel lucky and thankful.

Thanks for checking in - I’m so glad you’re starting to feel human again :)

Great report -- you're doing really well doing it your way! I'm doing the same with my #2 knee -- though my bendiness is not any better than with my first one I'm so much more relaxed, have less pain and less stress, and find myself sleeping better sooner.

@kmak81230

Yes! It’s the greater lack of stress that’s such a big difference. I’m not sure I’m any more limber either but am a lot less stressed.

Thanks for the comments - may the stress stay away.

Keeping that stress down is a big deal. Stress increases pain. Just lay back and enjoy each of your successes! It's not what you can't do, it's what you can do!

I got some benefit out of PT but I also learned to say "not yet" or "that's enough."

Hey all,

My recovery rolls on. I saw my OS yesterday and he wants me to do more PT as I’m working with a leg that has compromised circulation.

I have about 100 flex and 3 extension at 3.5 weeks.

BUT!! I fired the PT I didn’t like because she was so focused on numbers and a cookie cutter approach.

The OS wants PT to work on pain control and knee edema (very common, I know).

I believe I’ve found another PT clinic where they don’t have those expectations.

When I called, I was told that they NEVER push legs to get more flex and they DO NOT have the 120 degree by 4 weeks expectations.

Ridiculous as it sounds, the 120 by 4 seems to be a very common expectation in my region of the US.

Of course I know better, thanks to you good people :)

I’m told the new PT will tailor each program to the client’s needs and abilities.

So I’ll be seeing them next week to see if they’re compatible with my goals.

It was so empowering to fire that PT and find someone else.

Yay! You did the right thing! It sounds like you have a good PT outfit now.

Had my first PT session at the new clinic.

It was a night and day experience. The new PT did a lot of massage and very gentle stretching, getting my knee looser and more able to bend.

He tells me he’s not feeling a hard stop in the knee, and that he’s confident I’ll get more flex in the upcoming weeks.

He said he had no concerns with my flex right now (not that his opinion is the only one that counts, but still).

He didn’t measure but estimated a flex of 105-110. Extension has a way to go, it’s around 5

I’m to continue riding my stationary bike, walking, and doing some gentle stretches.

Yay - so glad I finally got the gumption to seek out some PT options. The massage felt so good.

I’ve agreed to go twice a week for at least the next three weeks.

Fantastic on finding a good PT! That makes a huge difference! What good numbers you have, too!

Hi @SuzyQ58

Oh yes, I have plenty of swelling around my kneecap here too. And it does seem to get worse by the end of the day.

Is your swelling worse in this second knee?

Swelling during my second TKR is worse, but this leg has some circulation issues caused by a DVT years ago and I expected the higher swelling.

Personally, I find that an open-toed, compression thigh-high stocking on the op leg helps a lot. I bought the stockings on Amazon and think they feel good and really help with leg fatigue and swelling. I only wear one on the operated leg, and don’t wear it 24/7.

I’m not familiar with minimally invasive surgery, but somehow think that the whole knee replacement surgery is almost impossible to do without being very invasive? Bones cut off, things pounded in - not sure how that’s done without significant invasion.

Sounds to me as if you’re doing what needs to be done re elevation and icing.

Patience, my friend :) dang it!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom