BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[PARTIAL KR] Tightness to extreme!<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Highridge, May 10, 2019.

1. Highridge

Highridge new member

United States United States
    Thx. At least it gives me hope. This has been 8 weeks of hell. Trying not to think how long this will take.

2. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    8 weeks is still early. Worry about it if it's not improved by 4 months!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Highridge

Highridge new member

Well I have some more questions.

It’s been 10 weeks since surgery. Been doing my own workouts and ROM and extension has improved a little. ROM a little over 100. Extension not sure how to measure but stays pretty flat with some force.

Only thing is the ugly bandy feeling across the front of my knee is still there. When walking feels like a rock under my knee cap. Very uncomfortable. Also feels like my kneecap is glued to my skin. I have been massaging and using a rolling device which is supposed to help break up this scar tissue. Is that what it is??

Will this go away on its own?? Anybody else know what I’m talking about. This has me about crazy. Still elevating and icing many times thru day and night. Just can’t stand that bandy feeling.

4. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Ten weeks is just a drop in the bucket compared to 52 weeks. That is the average time it takes to heal completely from this surgery. Adhesions have very rarely. Yes, the number-obsessed PTs will rattle on about it as if the big. bad "scar tissue" is just sitting there, waiting to pounce if you don't do enough exercise.

Actually, it's quite the reverse. The infamous scar tissue (which is more correctly called adhesions) is very rare, and one of the easiest ways to develop it is to work your knee too hard. Over-worked knees get inflamed and hot, and hot tissues become drier than normal and more likely to stick together and form adhesions.

This article explains the difference between scar tissue and adhesions:
    MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions

You need normal scar tissue. That's what holds your incision together, and it's part of the normal healing process. Without it, you'd always have an open wound.

5. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Don't force it. You're nearly there and the rest will come, given time. ROM, (which is both flexion - bending - and extension) can continue to improve for a year, or even longer after a knee replacement. There's no need to rush, no deadline you have to meet.
    The tight band feeling is normal. It often takes months to go away.
    "Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee

I think you should leave your kneecap alone. It will gradually mobilise itself without any need for massaging or manipulating. There's no scar tissue there that needs to be broken up, and trying to make your kneecap move is only going to upset it and increase swelling.