Lounge Doctor

ORIF Tibial plateau fracture - finally weight bearing

MikesTibia

Country
United States United States
I was in a head on collision in June and fractured the tibial plateau on my left leg. Surgery and now the lower part of my knee is plates and screws and resulted in 3 months of no weight bearing with elevated leg. Today I was released to fully weight bare and begin waking. There is no pain in my knee, but the bottom of my foot is extremely tender and feels like I’m walking on sharp gravel when I’m walking on my carpet and makes it extremely difficult to walk. Is this normal after not walking on that foot for 3 months? My foot was extremely swollen and has since shedded all skin on the bottom of that foot when it returned to proper size. I imagine that is the reason for such tenderness. Has anybody been through something similar and had the same sensitivity issue? How long did it take to return to normal?

Reader525

Country
@MikesTibia, Sending you positive vibes, what you have been through sounds just awful. I hope the sensitivity lessens soon, I'm sure it will, because if I've learned anything from all this it's that nothing lasts forever. It's hard to remember that when you're suffering though. To me it sounds like the extreme swelling caused your skin to shed and when that happens, the new skin is extremely tender.

Pumpkin

Country
@MikesTibia
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:
Sensitivity after cast removal is normal, as is the shedding of skin, sounds like you have more than the usual amount of sensitivity. Glad you knee is feeling good.
I had toe surgery earlier this year with my foot in a soft cast, it was more sensitive and shed skin for about a week+ when the soft cast came off. I would run my foot over the carpet gently then increasing the pressure to desensitize my foot, it helped. Still a little sensitive, but not a problem with walking.
If you are concerned ask for a referral to a PT or OT specializing in sensory integration (SI), they can help with decreasing the intensity of discomfort you are experiencing.

You might want to purchase shoes with more cushioning. Go to a shoe store where they will analyze your gait, measure your feet, and give you several different shoes to try. Ask about their return policy before purchasing.

Here is a link to a list of members who have had a tibial plateau ORIF, several of the members have had tibial plateau fractures and may be able to address your specific situation.

Please post your surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the exact date will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

Chris

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Caidly
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom