• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

TKR throbbing at knee, pain from heel up to behind knee.

chickieleg

Country
United States United States
TKR, left knee. It's been 4 weeks yesterday. I was doing very well and was attending PT.

This past Tuesday I noticed pain that seemed to start at my heel and radiate up the outside of my leg.

It's gotten worse and noticed during the night that my shin, ankle and foot was red. Skin also very tender to the touch.

Muscles in the back of my leg are weak and thinner then before, but with swelling. Can't stand on tip toes nor flex foot. Calf muscle doesn't feel right. Lumpy.

Some throbbing of the knee area and some stinging also.

Elevating and icing. Have backed off doing too much... I will accept responsibility for that. Can't wait to get up and moving. Taking Oxycodone every 6 hours. Well, when I remember.

Therapist doesn't want to do any more work until I talk with the doctor to make sure there's nothing going one other then issues with the TKR.

Advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Hi, @chickieleg....welcome to BoneSmart. I'm sorry you're experiencing this pain and you are wise to hold off on exercises and most of your activity until you see your surgeon.

At the end of my post, I'll leave you some general articles about recovery. You are still early in this process with your knee replacement. It's difficult sometimes when you start feeling better to not overdo things. But that is something that we see happen quite frequently.

How soon can you get in to see your doctor? Have you actually called his office to report this problem? If not, you need to do that as soon as possible. Even after hours you can talk with an on-call surgeon and get advice. They may want you to go to an ER to be checked out. Some of the symptoms you describe (the redness and tenderness) can be associated with a blood clot. A simple ultrasound can be done to say for sure.

In all likelihood you may have just irritated your muscles with too much activity too soon. The best thing for that is what you're doing - cut back dramatically on the therapy and activity, ice, elevate, and take something for the pain.

Please let us know how things go and we'll be here for you.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @chickieleg - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

OP
OP
C

chickieleg

Country
Date of surgery was 7/17/2019. Left knee.

OP
OP
C

chickieleg

Country
Hello Jamie... thanks for the quick response. I've had 2 ultrasounds. One 4 days post-op in the ER which was negative then another a week later. Physicians assistant read the report then view the test. She said all was clear, that was 2 weeks ago.

Hate having to contact them. They're in MD and I'm in PA.

After reading your notes at the bottom of the post, I am going to assume that I've overdone it. PT seems to crank it up because I had a range of 115, 2 weeks post and he was pushing for better. Then I push myself. I'm going to focus on slowing down, icing, elevating and pain meds. If I'm still ailing by Monday I'll get in touch with them and ride down and see the doc. PT is on hold for a while. And using the walker to talk the weight and pressure off the knee.

Thanks so much for your advice and guidance.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Sounds like a good plan.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member