Three weeks from Tuesday!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loink

Hi Guys,

I'm scheduled for a TKR on my right knee on Tuesday, Setember 25. I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but I guess it's for the best. I've been reading up here and have learned a lot. I just finished building a three inch thick platform to raise my recliner and I think it will really help. Thanks for all of the good information.

Keep smiling!

Glad you're getting prepared. Lots of advice here for the asking as you continue to look ahead. Best wishes.

It's a big "step" but everyone is happy with the results. It's good you're getting ready--something to keep you busy while you wait.

welcome-waving.gif
Loink, so please you have joined us here on the forum. I'm going to give you links to articles in our Library that are essential reading for anyone having a TKR.
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
Constipation and stool softeners
Tips for an easier recovery: Comprehensive List for hospital and home

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

I know this is a bit overwhelming, but the articles are not lengthy and are full of information that will answer questions you may have. Once you have read them, please feel free to ask any questions or voice any concerns you may have. We are here to help in any way we can and to support and encourage you from pre-op to post op through your recovery.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
1hugsmile.gif

Welcome to BoneSmart from me too.

Overwhelming indeed innit, here are my recovery rules in a nutshell.

- If it hurts, don't do it; nor allow anyone, especially a physiotherapist. to do it to you.
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it.
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it.
- Don't stand if you can sit; don't sit if you can lie down

Best wishes. Be sure to check in if you have questions.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all of the warm welcomes! I went to the doctor yesterday for the pre-op visit and then to the hospital for bloodwork, etc. I guess there's no backing out now... The hospital only asked for two hundred dollars as a deposit, which is much better than the three thousand dollars my brother had to put up at the hospital he went to. I live in Rigby, Idaho which is right between Rexburg and Idaho Falls, where the hospitals are. I chose the to go to my surgeon in Rexburg and he chose one in Idaho Falls. He had hip surgery, by the way. My other brother had his TKR done by my surgeon's partner. Do you think maybe we have bad blood or something?
Keep smiling,
Myron

Don't know about bad blood-----maybe just lousy knees!:rotfl:

Osteoarthritis is neither hereditary nor familial (meaning it runs in families) Each case is a one off. Rheumatoid arthritis now is a completely different thing and though it's not actually hereditary, it DOES run in families!

Jo,

My OS asked me which side of the family was "blessed" with OA? I told him my Mom's side. My grandmother, my aunt, my uncle, me, and now it looks like my sister is starting to feel the effects of OA.

So how is it not inherited? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Josephine

Coincidental, totally coincidental. Apart from, being a 'disease' of wear and tear, if you look at the demographics of OA, it's phenomenally wide-spread and therefore logical that one family can have several of its members fall prey to it.

I am so glad I found this website. I am going in at 3pm today for TKR on the left. At one week out I was freaking out. Fear of infection ans just the thought of what will be done. But, today I am ready to move forward and start having more quality of life. I have to keep remembering that everyone recovers differently. Thanks to all of you for your comments. It looks like loink and I are going in the same day for surgery. Best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie