THR THR

GypsySue

Country
United States United States
I'm scheduled for surgery on the 18th. I was originally scheduled in March and I'm thrilled to be back earlier than I expected. I may be sent home the same day and that worries me a little . I have stairs....also a walker that won't fit through the bathroom door. I guess I'll figure it out though!

Last edited:
I also struggled with the walker problems in the hospital. It's an old rural hospital and a very tight squeese.

My bathroom at home is also tight and I go in one direction, move it to the side, then move it again to get out the door.

I needed the walker to get off the toilet after my tkr, the thr doesn't hurt to sit down so it's been easier.

Hugs and best wishes for recovery!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your surgery date. They won’t send you home unless they’re fairly confident that you can manage. Do you have someone who’ll be with you? That will make a difference. My walker only fit through bathroom door sideways as well (that’s probably true for most.) You should be okay stepping carefully through. Now, the flurry of activity is on again. Good thoughts coming your way.

Hello @Gypsy Sue
Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!

I understand how the thought of being discharged the same day as surgery feels overwhelming. Rest assured many experience this and do very well. You’ll rest more comfortably at home and they won’t release you unless they’re assured you are ready. They’ll teach you how to navigate stairs, use the bathroom and how to get in and out of bed. Stairs are easier than you’re anticipating. You’ll do fine. As far as your walker not fitting through your bathroom door, if your budget allows, check Amazon for narrow walkers. Only one week to go, I’m excited for you. You’re going to love the result of this amazing surgery.
Wishing you comfort as you await your date. :)

Hey Sue, forgot to ask...which hip is it?
We’d like your signature to reflect which hip will be replaced along with your May 18th date. Please leave that bit of info below.
Thanks!

Congratulations on getting a surgical date for your new hip. You stated your walker does not fit in the doorway- is it the wheels? If so, on some walkers they can be placed on the inside so they take up less room.

Woo hoo not long now until your new hip! Have to say that I didn’t have a walker for either of my new hips... just crutches from day one...maybe that might help with your issues of space?

It’s amazing how we all worry about stairs but they will show you how before you leave & it’s much easier than you think.

Hope the days go quickly for you & you have a great recovery xxx

Just had my pre op physical and visit with the doc who says I can stay overnight if I wish. I guess I'll wait and see. I'm having my right hip replaced.Just wear and tear and too much weight I'll be so glad to move around and be pain free. Thanks for the suggestions about the walker - I'll give it a try.

I stayed 2 nights (pre-Covid, and insurance approved for 2 nights.) I didn’t get to my room until 8:15 pm the first night and had a hard time getting pain managed to go home the next day. I didn’t want to subject my husband to that stress. You’ll know what feels right. The PT people can try and help get your walker situation figured out. Just tell them your concerns but I think you’ll feel better about it all after working with them. Not much longer now. We’re here for you. Keep us posted on how it’s going.

I stayed overnight with both as I was not first case and it made it easier on me and my husband. The hospital is 1.5hrs away so no one wanted any issues and that was their protocol at that time. Saying that after the recovery room, I got up off the stretcher with assistance of course and walked to the bathroom with a walker (about 10 steps) and then to the recliner. First thing in AM was OT and PT in a group session and then I was out of there by noonish and safely home. You will know how you are feeling and the staff will help make the decision also depending on how you are doing post surgery. Now you have the option of staying if needed and options are always good.

I stayed overnight, wasn't really given a choice but made sense as they didn't bring me up to my room until around 5 that evening. Went home the next day by noon, was already dressed and just waiting on my release papers by the time the therapist came. She was happy to see my progress and that my husband was good at helping me get to the bathroom and back out. He actually kind of just spotted to make sure I didn't fall.

I didn't hear about the idea of moving the wheels to the inside of the walker to make it easier to get in our bathroom. No biggie, had the same walker from my hippie surgery a couple years earlier so was pretty good at taking slow sideways movements to get through the doors. And, I actually think it was a little bit of unintentional PT! :loll:

Hello @GypsySue :wave: Happy Friday to you.
I spent one night also which was fine with me. With it being the first surgery I ever experienced I was a bit apprehensive about being released to the care of my husband who I must say proved to be a good caregiver. Certainly no harm in spending the night, but if they feel you’re good to go and you’re comfortable with leaving...no reason not to! :)
Have a great weekend!

Two days to go before surgery. I am first up - have to be at the hospital at 6:15. It's 40 minute drive so I won't sleep much before!
At the moment I am obsessing about whether I should have gotten a potty chair. Opinion varies among friends both of whom had posterior surgeries. One says she couldn't have lived without it; the other says a raised toilet seat should be fine. Any opinions?

You can talk to the nurses and the physical therapy about needing a chair afterwards ... and your surgeon. Some people don't need potty chairs ... I didn't because of the approach my surgeon takes--anterolateral (front & side as my surgeon says in plain language).

But here's the thing. You will figure all this out when you get home.

Don't know if you decided on same-day or overnight. But if you concerned about taking care of yourself in the slightest, ask to stay overnight. You'll get practice using the toilet and all of that in the hospital with the nurses and nurses aides.

I had posterior approach and was so happy that I had my raised toilet seat. It was especially nice if my leg got a bit stiff from sitting for a while. It was needed for keeping the 90 degree restriction but had the added benefit of being more comfortable. I don’t know what you’ve been told about your restrictions post surgery. I would always defer to your health care professionals. Prayers for uneventful surgery on Monday with good pain control. I’ll be looking forward to your recovery post from the healing side when you’re up to it. ❤️ Pat

@GypsySue I had what is considered a by the bed commode but used it over our existing toilet in the master bath. You just remove the bucket and lid, adjust to a height that is comfortable for you and place over top of your toilet. You'll probably have to remove your existing toilet seat but that's easy. Great thing for this option is you have arms that you can use to help you sit and stand and it's sturdier than the raised seats that you just set on the toilet. And, since our toilets are original to our house they are pretty low so had to take that in to consideration with 90 degree.

I used the commode for both hips but just placed it over the existing toilet. My toilet seat did not have to be removed, just flipped up. The extra height was nice and especially the arms for helping to rise when feeling wonky. Use the arms to stand up and had walker in front of me. Also had posterior so had the no bending past 90 degree so the commode helped with this also.

As much as I hated it I couldn't have used the commode without a raised toilet frame. I tried one of those donuts that had handles and it was a no go. Bought a bedside commode which is a tube frame with a toilet seat. It has a bucket you remove and place it directly over your commode.

@GypsySue , best wishes for your surgery tomorrow. Remember, your OS and the hospital staff do thousands of these. They have all the experience and all we need to do is take a nap and wake up with a shiny new hip. Can't wait to see you on the sunny side (recovery side). A small hint is to set up your recovery page today if you are antsy and looking for something to do so it is ready for you when you are up to posting.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom