THR THR UK

Uk Hippie

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm new to this forum. Just wondering if there are any waiting for THR in the UK. I'm down for 10th May.....gulp!

Welcome to BoneSmart @Uk Hippie ! Many of our member are UK based. @Bevelina has just joined and is having THR next week. I've tagged so she can come along and chat.

Which hip are you having replaced? I'll put the information in your signature and get you added to our May group.

Ukhippie, i joined this forum yesterday, i really do think everyone here will help you too, my THR is next Tuesday (in UK) like you, soo nervous, but there is alot of genuine support here. Its very important to type-talk. keep posting.

I’m in the UK, but I had my THR way back in 2014. I’m currently here because I had one knee replacement 9 days ago, and am due to have the second done on 23rd May.

Welcome to BoneSmart @Uk Hippie ! Many of our member are UK based. @Bevelina has just joined and is having THR next week. I've tagged so she can come along and chat.

Which hip are you having replaced? I'll put the information in your signature and get you added to our May group.
Right one. Thanks!

Ukhippie, i joined this forum yesterday, i really do think everyone here will help you too, my THR is next Tuesday (in UK) like you, soo nervous, but there is alot of genuine support here. Its very important to type-talk. keep posting.
Hey hey! I'm soo nervous too! I keep going back to 'its one of the mot common ops', and that helps me. So does the discovery that my neighbours friend had THR ( several years ago, so an older one) they look 'normal' as in move normally. Good luck on Tuesday. I'm in Swindon, Wiltshire

@Uk Hippie Welcome to BoneSmart! Nervous is normal ... particularly before a major surgery! Also remember that everyone involved with your surgery - surgeon, nurses, anesthesiologist, orderlies, etc - are professionals and do these surgeries nearly every working day. Their primary goal is your well being! You can read threads here in pre op and also over in the hip recovery area. There are many, many wonderful accounts of very successful hip replacements. My 2 hips are now 11+ years old and doing excellently! I rarely even think of them until I log in here!

Here are our articles and helpful suggestions for our pre op members:

Hip: pre-surgery considerations

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads in stories of amazing hip recoveries

It's strange how you have good days and bad days. Despite limping now for 2.5 years almost, I'm still wanting to swerve the procedure I'm so nervous about it! My OS says I have total loss of jointspace in the RH, and the outlook is either joint collapse or possibly fuse if I do nothing. @Solar7 On good days you think...' ooo...im actually improving' , but then you cant be improving long term if it's degenerative.

Last edited:
@Uk Hippie Unfortunately the deterioration of a hip does continue and if it gets bad enough the hip can collapse. That is an emergency situation and is extremely painful! Sounds to me like this is the time to go ahead and get the new hip joint. And yes those tricky hips can give you false hope by having a day or two of "feeling fine" ... but that really is just temporary.

I had one hip that was fused prior to my surgery ... not a fun thing to have! One of the things that had me seeking hip replacement was a visit with my GYN for routine exam. She had a very hard time doing the exam because my hip would not ( *ahem*) assume the position. Plus I could not stand up straight and hips hurt so much I struggled to find a comfortable position to sit in and sleep in.

Plus the longer you limp on a bad hip the longer it's going to take to rehab the muscles and tendons around the hip. Getting those back to functioning as they are supposed to takes time and gentle exercise.

Best Wishes for your surgery!
We hope you'll join us on the healing side once you're feeling up to it.
We will have some Recovery Guidelines I believe you'll find beneficial.
Hope to see you on the bright side soon! :SUNsmile:
@Uk Hippie

Best Wishes for your surgery!
We hope you'll join us on the healing side once you're feeling up to it.
We will have some Recovery Guidelines I believe you'll find beneficial.
Hope to see you on the bright side soon! :SUNsmile:
@Uk Hippie
Thank you! I hope so too

Thinking of you today as you start the process of back to healthy and happy.
Look for you on the Healing Side!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks