THR THR To date

RMJD6

Country
Canada Canada
Hi everyone! I've been reading about all the individual experiences and thought I would share mine. I am 75 and had a TRH replacement on the 9th. of September. I have to thank the staff in admitting for spending the time persuading me to follow thru with it. I was very apprehensive to say the least. I was very aggressive post-op and wanted to get back to my regular routine. I was told I could drive after my second week and in my third week I went back to my favorite archery range on two separate days. Now being in my fifth week I changed my winter tires (2) over and with this current snow storm, I managed to clear my sidewalks with help from my neighbors. My wife is constantly after me for doing to much but I tell her that I feel fine and that I'm being careful. Once my surgeon had done his job it was up to me to do mine with the excercis routine post-op. Right now I'm working hard to walk without having an obvious limp. This is only 33 days and I have to keep reminding myself to slow down and be careful because I tend to forget what I just went through. Thanks for listening.

Hello,
Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us here!

You seem to be doing well but I'd have to agree with your wife that some of your activity feels a bit too ambitious for only 33 days post op. I understand you feel well and want to jump back into life but please take it slow and realize that there was a "controlled" trauma that took place inside your leg which can take up to a full year to completely heal, even longer for some.

You'll find many here agree that exercise, aside from walking, is unnecessary in the early weeks of recovery. If at six to eight weeks post op, you'd like to work with Physio on gait to lose the limp, that's totally different. And it sounds like that may be something for you to look into. In the interim try heel - toe walking and see if that helps. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes. It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

You're not to far along to still benefit from our Recovery Guidelines below.
Pay speacial attention to the BIG TIP toward the bottom of the page. Also the article titled Activity Progression For THR to use as a rough guideline to keep you out of trouble and the ODIC (Over Did It Club) as we fondly refer to it here.

Take it slow, you'll get there and have less chance of being sidelined due to an accident or overdoing it.

Stop back often, we'd love to follow your progress.
A great evening to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @RMJD6

Please leave below which hip was replaced, left, or right.
The info will be applied as your signature along with your September 9th surgery date.

Thanks in advance. :)
@RMJD6

Wow! I am amazed at the level of activity you have after 1 month!!

I was whining and complaining that I could not do anything after 3 months - even now - after 6 months - although things have definitely improved, just in the last week.

Could you say whether you were operated the 'Posteria' or 'Anterior' procedure. I only ask because I was told that there might be a quicker recovery time if your surgeon uses the 'Anterior' approach.

After 1 month, I still was not able to drive or put on my socks/shoes. Welll, take it easy; don't rush but it sounds like you're doing OK!

Just remember that healing time is needed and is most important.
I am a little before you in surgery date and have been walking with no limp
since week 3
Concentrate on heel toe walking
If you have been limping a while flatfooting that leg is a habit and shows up as limp.
We all heal differently and I drove at day 12
But I was careful not to stress the joint much till the six week xray and clearance which showed good osteophyte adherence to the implant
My surgeon said to not stress the hip ie do things that cause pain till 12 weeks
So I am glad to move leaves but not snow
I am working on hip flexors. going up and down lots of stairs trying not to grab the handrail.
Not sure if anterior leads to faster healing Posterior seems to be the most restrictive
I had anterolateral
Lots may depend on how deconditioned your muscles were before surgery
I could hike for two or three miles but going up and down stairs not
Remember the hare lost the race and this is indeed a marathon

I appreciate the feedback. I had my right hip done and as to it being anterior or posterior incision I can't really say. My incision is along the side of my hip not so much to the back or front. At my age my physical health and strength is quite good because I also worked out with weights in the past and used to walk daily as well.

Please leave below which hip was replaced, left, or right.
The info will be applied as your signature along with your September 9th surgery date.

Thanks in advance. :)
@RMJD6
I had my right hip done.

Doing the things I like seems to work for my PT. We just finished an early morning hike of two miles and I get to play with my new leaf blower today and if the sun is out I might bike ride.
The repetitive PT type exercises bore me.. Seems if snow shoveling is in your future ( Alberta?) you might just do what you have to do to deal with winter and ramp up gradually to your pre op activities.
Sounds like you had an anterolateral approach like me. I can't really find the scar anymore and can roll around on it just comfy fine.
You will know you over did it if it hurts the next day. When that happens just back off a few days. Don't try to adhere to no pain no gain.

Thanks mainegirl1. Glad to hear that you can put in that kind of milage at this point. As to my location, it's Manitoba and we just got all that snow from Alberta's stormfront. Thus far anything I've managed to do has not caused me to be in any pain or discomfort. I started the PO. excercises and by day 3 was up to 15 reps per and 20 reps by day 14. I do the stairs normally by holding onto the handrail in both directions. For an old man I feel pretty good. I'm now stressing my foot placement as suggested to help eliminate the limp. I feel that there is one area just at the top of my leg that is tight and I'm working that out slowly. Time will tell and it's still early. Keep up the good work on your recovery and let me know when you plan to do a marathon!!

Hello @RMJD6
What a happy exuberant personality you are.
It's wonderful you're doing well. Only want you to proceed with caution.
You feel effervescent and full of life, I don't think you'd do well sidelined from over activity. Take it s-l-o-w. Orders from BoneSmart headquarters. :wink:
Have a wonderful Sunday! :SUNsmile:

Hello @RMJD6. I would love to be as active as you are. I'm 3 months post op and have had to pick up my buddy Cane, my constant companion. It's due to doing more than I should at this point for me. I don't like sitting when there's things I need to do or want to do, frustrating indeed...:censored: I'll just add this.... have you bought new shoes with good supports? Wearing old shoes does not help getting your new improved gait. You take care, sounds like you are thinking as you are preparing for the season of winter.

Hello @julesglass. No I haven't bought any new shoes. My gait seems to be improving as each day goes by. Yesterday we were out shopping and I walked most of it sans cane. I'm into day 37 P.O. and things are moving along quit well. Were you given a list of the P.O. excersises to be done on going home? I've been doing mine daily since being discharged. I firmly believe that this has contributed immensely to my recovery time. It was very difficult to begin with but every journey begins with that first step. My range of movement was small at first but grew each day. I now do 20 reps of each excersise. I did the resting and icing according to how my body felt on a day to day basis. I don't know exactly what your going through but maybe some of this might be of some help. Keep working at it and don't lose faith in what you can accomplish.

Afternoon @RMJD6. Good to hear you're improving with your gait. I found new shoes helped alot however I still deal with pain above my knee and lower back issues due to osteoarthritis. I did have PT exercises to do, however I found these to be too much. Keep up the good work!

Hi everyone! Just thought I'd post a small update. I'm at the end of week 6 and I just walked a kilometer without the use of my cane. I did have it with me just in case (otherwise my wife would have killed me) so if I needed to rest it was at my side. Prior to the hip replacement, my right foot pointed out at a 15 degree angle due to the bad hip. Now I have to work at placing it directly in front because of the muscle memory. This is going to take time but I have lots of that. @mainegirl1 I'm trying to catch up so we can both enter that marathon!!! Also, I'm happy to say that I'm back at the archery range on a regular basis again. That's where I go to get out of my wife's hair and drive all my fellow archers crazy. Till later...

@RMJD6 Great update - so glad you are getting back to the activities you love. It will only improve with time.

Please keep us updated.

O dear @ RMJD6. I am no speed demon
Turtle yes. But just finished a 5 km hike today with a 250 m elevation gain over rocky trail!
I do use hiking poles but today did not use them for power but rather for balance on some tricky parts of loose rock.
I am at week 9 so you see it only gets better!

What? You did that at week 9 Maine girl? Do you know how that sounds to someone at week one who's struggling to do a few hall laps with the walker?

What? You did that at week 9 Maine girl? Do you know how that sounds to someone at week one who's struggling to do a few hall laps with the walker?
I was there eight weeks ago @HipLucy.. I am not trying to neener neener you but to give you hope for the life that is waiting after you expend some patience.. My first two weeks were not fun and I would never even THINK about hiking as in the remote future..
It is evil that first we have to do time for sure.

@HipLucy. Welcome to the club! On week one I was just concerned about doing the post-op exercises that we are given and struggling with them at best. Just put your all into your recovery regime and you'll get the results you want. Like I've been told many times, be patient! Not my strong point but I managed. Follow the guidelines and you'll do fine.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back