THR THR tell me about your recovery

Good to hear you are doing well @Eman85 . Everyone else seems to think that time has flown by but Einstein was right, time is relative! I have come to really understand this concept as I'm now 60 and a year means nothing, but for my 3 year old granddaughter 1 year is a third of her life. So even though a year means nothing, suddenly time slows down after a joint replacement. Leaves me wondering, do I really want it to speed back up.....

Mine will probably argue over who gets the right side. I can also see my engineer son coming up with a way to link them together to "pull the wishbone" !:rotfl:

I mentioned to my wife it's been 8 weeks, she said that went by quick, my reply was maybe for you

Score for you! You must not be a pain in the Posterior patient (pun intended) or wifey would feel like it's been 8 months of recovery so far, instead of just eight weeks :heehee:

It sounds like you're doing really well. I hope heat and time soon ease the pesky tightness you've mentioned. I'm sure it will.

Have a great week!

Sounds like you're doing well and are managing not to annoy the wife, which is always a good thing! Hope the heat will help smooth out the little glitch you're having.

Well 2 months in, my wife hasn't made any more comments and I do my best to annoy her! Been doing it for 40+ years and so far so good.
I'm happy with my progress but of course want it all to be done. Been doing some auto repair in my shop and pushed the limits a little and had to do some resting.
Still have tightness when I reach for my right foot if my knee is bent. It's getting better and I can put my socks on and tie my shoes. It's like my shoulder is tied to my butt. I can kneel and sit on my heel with no problem. Bend just about any way I want to and easily touch my toes or the floor. But if I bend that rt. knee and reach for my rt. foot it's hard to do and pulls in my butt to my thigh.

A belated Happy Two Month Anniversary!
It sounds like you picked a good one for a wife. It seems your recovery is going really well and you clearly know when to dial it back so you're not sidelined for any great length of time. I'm guessing the tightness you've described will slowly continue to ease, but maybe you can get some advice from a PT if you're feeling impatient? I hope you have a great rest of the week.
@Eman85

Sounding good, Eman!:ok:
Poor long-suffering Mrs. Eman...I bet she will be just as happy as you for your recovery and subsequent return to "regular life" :heehee:

Working on that tightness incrementally, as you know, is likely the best strategy.
I believe you will get there.
Great to see you doing so well.:tada:

Thanks for all of the well wishes.
Incredible breakthrough today. For some reason my brain was finally able to communicate with my muscles and the tight muscles finally answered the phone and got the message. It's the strangest thing like the one muscle was pulling instead of pushing and it finally woke up. This healing deal is amazing!
I still get soreness on the side of my thigh when I push the limits either walking a lot on uneven ground or trying a new exercise that taxes it. I'm getting impatient as I've got a lot of projects to do and I know this is the dangerous time to over do.

I certainly hope so!
Incredible breakthrough today. For some reason my brain was finally able to communicate with my muscles and the tight muscles finally answered the phone and got the message. It's the strangest thing like the one muscle was pulling instead of pushing and it finally woke up. This healing deal is amazing!
Terrific break through! You are at the stage where you can think of projects. That is very good news. I am very glad you are doing so well.

Hi @Eman85
So glad your message was received after going straight to voice mail for a bit.:) :-) (:
Pretty accurate description as I remember it did seem the connection seemed interrupted as my body healed. Trauma puts our body in protective mode, for sure.

Hope you have a good weekend, friend.

How are you doing? @Eman85
I often forget you're in recovery as you're spreading cheer and helpful advice around here. I hope you're enjoying weekly progress and are pleased with the results so far.
A great rest of the week to you!

Funny you should ask! Trying to get back to what I call normal life. Was clearing land before this THR and after the logging and giving away tons of firewood we have quite a few large brush piles. Been burning these piles a couple of days and resting a couple of days. It's been raining a lot so it's been good as the fires won't spread. I've managed to over do some, but not too badly. The rest of my body feels it as sitting around for a couple of months takes it's toll. Been building another race car, actually an S10 truck and it's coming along.

Sounds like you've been a busy boy Eman! Can relate to the miscellaneous aches after activity....did a bit of gardening today, not particularly strenuous I thought, but multiple body parts are squeaking. Hobbled a bit after sitting and watching TV tonight so hopefully the paracetamol I just took will do the trick. And so recovery and life marches on...:walking:

That is the blessing of being in upstate NY - too cold and icy right now to get tempted to do things in the garden. I am sure when I get going in the spring the aches and odd pains will make an appearance. Driveway got really icy so that I had to ask my husband to fill the bird feeders for me.

@leejaa I'm from down state NY, been upstate a lot it was 60* here today I'll stay here! I was in greasy mud today as it poured on us all day.
It has been 11 weeks, I had to count as I'd lost track. I still have weakness in the hip going up stairs. No problems going up and down, I just feel it's weak. Still have some tightness sitting and putting on my sock and tying my shoe. It has gotten a lot better in the last week, but it's still there. I get soreness if I over do and I'm sitting on my polar pack as I type this.
To answer your question @Layla whether I'm pleased with the results so far, yes I'm very pleased. The joint pain in both hips is long gone. My new scar is like a pink pen line my old one I don't even notice. I don't wake up from hip pain. I know I'm not done with recovery and I will still see improvement and I'm also at the perfect time to really overdo it and set myself back. I'm doing my best to keep it in check.
I constantly get the are you going to PT questions, it's easier to just say yes. I didn't go to any PT and they didn't come to me. I only did the basic lying in bed movements and walking. After 6 weeks I upped it to some leg raises and shallow squats. I walk fine with no limp at all. I easily walk 2-3 mi. most days with no pains.

Awesome progress! @Eman85
You're doing it right and enjoying the pay-off.

I don't wake up from hip pain

Isn't that the truth. Turning in bed overnight felt like a painful exercise in futility.
I don't miss that in the least.

I'd like to wish you a Happy Two Year Anniversary on Lefty a week early. :yay:
I just noticed that milestone in your signature and If I wait...I may forget to send best wishes.

Have a great Thursday!

Hi @Eman85
Nice to hear you are hanging in there and keeping the rubber on the road.
Just realized its Daytona Day and I thought of you ...couldn't resist the goofy metaphor.:groan:

I wish I could get into it but i feel the same way about watching racing on TV as I do about watching basketball... I'll just watch the last ten minutes and get the end result.
If there is a good wreck, we'll see it on playback a hundred times.

Hope today is a good day!

Thanks for the thoughts. Used to go to Daytona every year for speed weeks, kind of lost interest and haven't been in years.
Just got an email from my OS wanting my 2 years update on my left hip. They periodically send me emails wanting to know how it's working out. My left was always my weaker hip all of my life and had the most pain. Now it's had to step up in the right's recovery. It's done well but occasionally protests.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back