THR THR tell me about your recovery

I'd just like to understand what the theory they teach for PT. I can well understand the need to build back weak or atrophied muscles. Just don't get the methodology of hurting already hurt muscles. Spoke to one friend who had knee replacements and some of the no pain no gain PT. I was laughing at the take pain pills before PT deal and he said that was what they told him to do. That's a lot like professional sports where the score is more important than a players health. Upon discharge from the hospital we had a group PT session, knees and hips. They were big on pushing the knees to do heel slides and bend to a certain degree and the hips doing leg lifts. With my left THR I could easily do leg lifts on day 1. With this one I couldn't even will it to do one. I just faked my way through to get out of there. I'd say that if I went to outside PT they would have tortured me to do them.
@ritabell the shopping cart is the real deal! I've been out walking today but later going to give the super WM a shot for some PT.
I'm walking good enough and I'm just forgetful enough to keep misplacing my cane in the house. I'll walk in a room and set the cane down and then end up walking out without it, then have to go searching for it.

I'm just forgetful enough to keep misplacing my cane in the house. I'll walk in a room and set the cane down and then end up walking out without it, then have to go searching for it.
This is why I have two! Also, I found if I go out with a cane it is good to put my name and phone number on them. Sometimes the cane stays on the grocery cart, after the groceries are loaded.

Love the idea of using the shopping cart to practice walk in a store. A nice way to get out and see something different, in a safe environment.

One thing about the shopping cart PT. Post surgery it's easy to get rundown. I try to wipe everything down with Purell or something similar. I discovered the shopping cart PT with my last THR but I also discovered how sick you can get! I was really wiped out with the last one as it had complications. I got pretty sick and had a bad sinus infection too.

I use the wipes the stores provide on the cart handles when I enter the store, without fail, but I also have hand wipes in my car to use before I even drive off after being in any public place, especially during cold and flu season. Gas pumps, those yucky pens you use to sign for your credit card, ketchup bottles, menus, yuk....all of it! I think I'm a germaphobe :rotfl:

I had a laugh yesterday about all the silly terminology they come up with nowadays. I was listening to something on the radio about how to protect ourselves through cold and flu season and one of the recommendations also advised that when you're sick you need to practice "social distancing" it made me laugh. Social distancing, how ridiculous sounding. IF YOU'RE SICK....STAY HOME has worked for years. We all understood it. I guess it wasn't PC enough, lol.

Stay safe...stay well! :wink:

Hey...a belated Happy Three Week Anniversary!
Been on any good cart therapy lately?
Hope you're noticing weekly progress and feeling stronger.
Have a great week!
@Eman85

Progress has been slow but steady. I did some lengthy standing the other night, it wasn't comfortable but it didn't set me back. I've been walking pretty steady, down the road a ways and back and at the store. It gets tired and achey but so far no setbacks. At the end of the day I'll fire up my polar pack and use it until bedtime and it feels good. Driving isn't comfortable, just the way the seat in the car rides against my leg. Didn't bother me as much with the left but town and back is as much as I want. Don't have a problem as a passenger as I can get comfortable.

Driving isn't comfortable, just the way the seat in the car rides against my leg.

Ugh! I hear you on that. Thirty minutes and I was toast. I wanted OUT!
Not sure what approach you experienced but my surgeon only uses Posterior and the seat belt buckle irritated a part of my incision. I started using a gel ice pack in between the belt and my leg and it helped. It may have been the distraction from the cold, it may have been the cushion, don't know, didn't care, it helped. I was bugged by this discomfort for the first several months actually and noticed it slowly disappear. Hope it eases for you soon.
Have a nice week!
@Eman85

Posterior both side. I remember with the left I had problems as a passenger in my wife's SUV and tried a cushion which made it worse. That was in the first 2 weeks, after that I was fine. All of our vehicles have bucket seats and the way they come up on the side puts pressure right on the incision site, just irritating. My car has cloth seats which make it a little tougher getting in and out, aren't slippery.

When I mentioned the gel pack I didn't explain "cushion" very well. I never sat on a cushion but used the gel pack as a cushion between my leg and the seat belt buckle that seemed to lie over and aggravate a portion of my incision. To me, half of my car discomfort was the inability to move around, or really shift position and feeling stuck. I really had to limit how long I was in the car. Thankfully that issue was temporary.

Happy One Month Anniversary...on the eve of.
Interested in giving us a One Month progress report? How are you liking this recovery, compared to your first?

I can't believe it's been a month already. Easy to say when you're not the one recovering. I hope you're doing well and that you'll be feeling pretty good for Christmas if you have big plans.

A great rest of the week to you!
@Eman85

I'd like to say the time is flying by, but it's not. I've been very patient and it's a slow go but it's been all good. Improvement has been good and I've avoided the wrong turns in recovery, I guess experience is a good teacher.
Been getting out some but driving still isn't as comfortable as I'd like. Last time I couldn't put my wallet in my back pocket for some time, this time it's my handkerchief in my right rear pocket that's annoying. Went to see my OS and got a copy of my x-ray showing 2 hips, I know have the whole set from 0-2. He's happy and I'll see him in Jan. which should be the last time I see him hopefully forever. Incision is healed up nicely and is just a thin pink line.
Got another story about you need to go to PT last night when someone I know saw me walking with a cane.
I've been going to town and walking the track at the park, it's paved and flat. I walk 1/2mi. there along with any other walking I've been doing up and down my road and around the property. Leg strength has improved greatly and no problem lifting my leg in any position. I can go up and down stairs normally with my cane if my leg isn't tired. Haven't strained or caused any pain or setbacks going slow and steady. Usually sit with my polar pack every evening. I can sleep on either side with a pillow between my legs. Still doing my best to follow restrictions for another couple of weeks at least.

Last edited:
Sorry time is dragging for you, but thankfully it's been good.
I really do understand the driving discomfort you're experiencing as I've mentioned before. That was a tough one for me also and for much longer than a month.

Great to hear you received a nod from your OS that he's happy with your progress and all looks as expected on x-ray. I know you understand how to do recovery right and I can imagine you laughing under your breath when well intentioned people mention you seem to need help as you're not progressing to their expectations. :heehee: Yeah, ok, thanks and mind your own biz, lol.

You're doing very well, Eman. Keep up the good work and have a great Wednesday!
@Eman85

I have learned a great deal from your recovery thread and comments around site @Eman85

So true, “Experience is a great teacher.” Slow is the hardest part of this journey. Really hope you can part company with your OS after your next visit. I’d be happy to never see another hospital too. Wishing you Health and Happiness in the New Year.

Sounds like you are doing as expected. Lucky your weather is conducive to walking. I am in the snow so no walking outside. Just some grocery store shopping. I am envious that you are driving at all since with my car I would break precautions to drive so am waiting at least another week. Of course the nasty snow we have been getting is another inducement not to drive or as I said to my husband, if I drive somewhere than I have to walk on icy parking lots and this early I want to avoid this as much as possible unless I have him and my cane to assist.

Patience is wearing thin but am trying to concentrate on springtime and being able to do things outside in the garden.

I left the north 35 years ago and never looked back. I did go up there many times a week when I drove a truck for a living. Generally winters are fairly mild as far as snow goes. It was in the 20's last night and it's pretty cold but sunny out today so walking was enjoyable. So far it's proven to be a good plan as far as my timing my recovery. As I get more capable I have plenty of projects waiting for me in my shop. And then the grand prize is being good to go for spring.

Did anyone else have a spirometer when they had their surgery?, they had one for me in the hospital that I took home. I keep mine next to my chair and give it a go every once in a while.

You're really doing this recovery so well, even if it feels like time is dragging. You definitely had this planned out.

I had one of those spirometers that came home, only used it once in a while that first week to make sure the anesthesia had cleared out.

They didn’t have me use a spirometer with my first or while at surf center with second. When they were going to give to me to take home, I asked what the difference was the second time. With no further explanation, nurse said I probably didn’t need it and left it out of my go bag. Wasn’t saying I wouldn’t use it, just asking why! Back at hospital for psi as release and wasn’t even mentioned even tho had general anesthesia.

I was given the spirometer both times. I used it because I have asthma and figured it would help my lungs.. :egypdance:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom