THR THR tell me about your recovery

Two Weeks!! I'd say I'm on track and a lot of this is coming back to me. Last time at 2 weeks the surgical tape was driving me crazy, last night it was irritated. We removed the tape this morning and boy does it feel better! I quit the walker around Thanksgiving. I took the pain pills as prescribed for the first few days and then as needed which wasn't much. Haven't taken anything since then. Log leg has diminished and I can lift it OK. This side is different as I had no limitations last time. This time I couldn't lift it and my knee tended to fall inwards. Very minimal bruising along the incision and that was the only swelling. Used the polar pack continuously even while sleeping which I think helped all of that. Been getting out walking and will probably go driving later today or tomorrow.
The hard part is having the patience! So many things I want to do but so far reading,Netflix and Youtube have kept me content. Turned cold so now I get to feed the woodstove.

Sounds like you're rockin this #2 hip recovery Eman! Happy dance for you. :dancy: You're taking the tried and true slow and steady path...but it sounds like you're fast approaching the cabin fever stage. :groan: At least it's cold so it's not like punishment to stay cosy in front of a fire. Keep up the good work and happy healing to you.

Great to hear how well you are doing, Eman:tada:
You know how this slow and steady stuff goes, so don't be setting yourself up for a "What For":nah:

I also think my constant consistent icing was super helpful, with swelling and pain.

Hope the rest of your week is restful and healing.

You sound like you're doing well other than getting a little antsy and wanting to do stuff. You know how to go with the flow, slow and steady, keep feeding that fire and chill.

Happy Two Weeks! What a great update....you're doing so well.
No surprise though as I know you ascribe to the slow, steady approach.
Sorry you're getting bored, I hope you can find enough to occupy your mind so the days don't drag on for you. I know I'm behind the times, but I keep hearing how good The Crown is and I'm determined to begin watching it.
Somehow I envision you more into something like The Fast and the Furious, lol.
Have a good night!
@Eman85

Good morning ! You are progressing right along! Two hips in one year.. that is a big deal and you are handling it well.
I had the knee caving issue for a few weeks, the PT at the hospital encouraged me to focus on activating (clenching) my quad muscles to help manage that. I think the quadriceps go into shock and shut down for the first several weeks.
Sitting on your porch for T Day sounds so lovely, I love Tennessee. We used to trail ride in that state and would go to Loretta Lynn's Ranch each fall for a week of some crazy trail riding.

Keep up the great healing and attitude!

Actually it's 1 3/4 years between hips. Weather has turned so it's not hard to stay in, just hard to sit around all day. I'm in the mountains between VA and NC Loretta Lynn's is a ways west of me. I've been doing all of the clenches and moves to get blood flowing.
Staying comfortable sitting in a chair most of the day is a challenge. Have tenderness around incision area and it all wears on you after a while. I watch a lot of music on Youtube along with Netflix. Plenty of reading to do also. It's good knowing what to expect but that makes it hard too. I saw improvement in the past week and I know it's now plateau time where it's a little while before the next improvement if there's no setback.

I hope today feels better than yesterday, Eman :)
It does get boring and it's easy to get antsy and feel impatient with it all.
Wishing you comfort as you continue healing and a brighter tomorrow. :SUNsmile:
@Eman85

Nice day today went for a drive to town and got out and walked around some. I've got my son operating the tractor cleaning up the land we logged so I drove over and supervised for a little while. Just getting out makes the day go by faster and cuts the chair time.

Good to hear you got out yesterday. I was going cuckoo on about day 13 of my recovery. It was super hot and humid outside so I was inside (by choice) with the A/C. I must have been whining on my thread and a male member asked me if I'd been out to smell the roses lately, which I hadn't! So I took his advice. Makes a huge difference to feel part of the world again, even if it's only to sit on a deck or patio, or go for a car ride. Hope you're able to get out again soon. :)
@Eman85

Sounds nice to get out. I had plans to go somewhere but our weather turned snowy with bad roads and cold so will postpone for a few days. Getting that antsy feeling.

Progress is being made! You sound well.. getting out and about for a little bit is always so good for our morale.
I like the term shopping cart PT.

Congratulations on righty @Eman85 Have read so much of your excellent advise on this site. Your thread should be the poster child for newbies. You have been there, done that.

Glad everything is progressing as it should be at the point for hip two. Hope the itching incision bits are behind you soon. Forgot that one. Hope you have a very uneventful recovery, boring is good.

Since removing the tape my incision has felt soooo much better. This was just like last time I remember at the 2 week mark it was driving me insane. it itched so bad it felt like it was on fire. This time wasn't as bad as that but removing it gave me a lot of relief. That tape is amazing, I showered and washed and rubbed on it every day and it didn't even have a little tag come loose, but it came off pretty easy.
Yesterday was a full trip to the supermarket and then out to dinner and everything feels great. I still use my polar pack whenever I'm sitting, it just feels incredibly good. Trying not to take any unneeded detours on the recovery route.
It's really interesting how everyone that knows or learns about me having a THR always asks me about PT. When they find I'm not going to PT they think I'll never walk again? Is there anywhere on this site or others that explain the theory of PT that the majority seem to believe in? What is the PT theory of overworking damaged pulled muscles to make them better?

Is there anywhere on this site or others that explain the theory of PT that the majority seem to believe in? What is the PT theory of overworking damaged pulled muscles to make them better?
Well you won't find anything on this site about the need to overwork traumatised muscles and soft tissues. I think much of this comes from the "no pain, no gain" mentality. But over the years we have seen literally thousands of patient who successfully recovered from joint replacement without all that PT.

Don't get me wrong - for some it is the way to go. But they are a very small minority. And many times we see members come back with chronic pain issues due to pushing through.

You are doing this recovery your way. Send those "friends" who are questioning your approach here to read about successful recoveries.

I just returned from a small grocery store near me where I did my shopping cart PT too. I felt "safe" behind the cart as people are looking at the shelves and not me. I love his store because it has everything I need, only a few aisles and a very friendly staff. I really was cruising around. My husband encouraged me to go. This is one of our weekly outings so I felt really normal accomplishing this today. We were there at 8 AM when there were very few people.

Sounds like you're out every day for an adventure. Good for you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back