THR THR tell me about your recovery

So far so good with the hip and the racecar, aside from the heat. I might have to add some padding to the seat though.
I can say that a weedeater is the hips enemy! Holding that weight out there and pivoting especially on uneven ground will wear a hip out. Running didn't make my hip happy either! Really severe storms the other night from the high heat. I ran from the house to the shop and back in the storm, leg didn't like it. Good part now it seems it doesn't take as long to get over overdoing!

I can say that a weedeater is the hips enemy! Holding that weight out there and pivoting especially on uneven ground will wear a hip out.
Ugh - with all the rain, the wisteria is threatening to enter the house so I'm gonna have to eat weeds or die in a tangled mass of carnivorous vegetation. I consider myself warned!

That racecar looks hella awesome!

I linked this on Pinky's pre-op post. This is what I did with bad hips years back. Think it had any effect?

I didn't comment when I saw this week's ago...but yep, I do.:umm:
Good to see you on the forum giving comfort and advice.
Hope you have a good weekend!:)

Naah, we drank a lot of beer afterwrds that probably did more damage!
I'm sitting here watching the weather trying to decide what the weekend has instore. Rain showers predicted so plans are changing.
My "other"hip is now wanting attention! the more walking I do the more it tells me. Been making it a point to fast walk 1 1/2-2mi every evening. Still know I have a hip that's been replaced recently, it too reminds me.
I'm not much on comforting but I try to give straight advice.

Hi :wave:
Wondering how you're doing and how you're feeling about your recovery at nine months post op?
You continually offer support, comfort and encouragement to others on the forum. It's much appreciated!
I hope you have a great weekend :SUNsmile:
@Eman85

@Layla,thanks for asking, I'm doing pretty good at 9mos, being retired makes it even better. Still working at recovering with walking and exercise bike. Been able to race the car which was a goal. So far the rt. hip has been pretty good most of the time. Still think about my new hip everyday and I can still overdo. So far this week the weather has been terrible, but it's supposed to be nice for the weekend and I hope to go racing.
I don't know about support,comfort and encouragement, just trying to tell the truth about what this is all about.

I agree about your support to others on or site.
Getting input from "those who know" proves invaluable and is what makes BoneSmart special.

Hope today is a good day !

@Mojo333 I agree with the those who know part. I read so many posts and it's a shame many are given the soft sell on this procedure and are disappointed when the reality of it hits. I was very fortunate to have a great OS and his staff that were very honest and realistic about this journey. Even with all of their support and my commitment to this I still had the roller coaster ride of recovery with the emotional ups and downs. I also planned mine out as far as my job and age so that I could take the time needed to properly recover and get all of the benefits of my new hip.
Every day is a good day! And today it's finally stopped raining so I can get back to walking!

Missed your 9 month hipversary!
Hope the weekend is wonderful!

Soft sell, sometimes. Most often I'm surprised by the lack of information people have in regard to recovery.
I like information, but I don't like scary information. I didn't want pamphlets on DVT, Dislocation and Infection upon discharge. It would make me nervous with each new pain or sensation. I think our doctors are aware that we have info at our fingertips due to the era of the Internet.

I'ts awesome that you've been able to race once again. I hope you have a great weekend.
Happy Nine Month Anniversary!
@Eman85

One year! Hard to believe it's been a year. I still think about it every day and it reminds me every day to think about it. I have muscle soreness, especially getting up in the morning. It loosens up and soreness goes away once I start moving. I can still "move wrong" and get a twinge of muscle pain during the day. On the positive side I have no joint pain and can sleep without waking from pain from that hip. I never went back to work, which was fine with me and part of the plan. My R hip has it's moments and I'll have to make a decision about it in the future. Not really looking forward to doing it again! If I do it will be in the winter again as that seemed to work out well, hate to be laid up for good weather.

This is a great update Eman! Love the fact that you are back racing. I don’t “Race” my little Miata but do drive it in a spirited fashion and l love being back in it. A beautiful springlike day today in the UK so roof coming down when I drive to work tomorrow.

I find your update a year on particularly useful with regards to the stiffness as a problem for me too. But, I sleep soundly through the night now and that in itself is a wonderful thing...

Happy One Year Anniversary, Eman!
What a nice update. Thanks for sharing.
Did you have your surgery in a hospital, or surgery center?
I feel the opposite of you about time of year for surgery, only because there seem to be so many more sick people in the hospital during the Winter. I live in a colder climate than you also and being able to go outside and sit on my deck when I wasn't that mobile, or didn't feel like doing much more, was a lifesaver some days. With your weather not being as extreme as ours, you can probably get out easier without the worries of slipping on ice and snow etc.

Hopefully a next surgery is far off and you have lots of time to enjoy your new hip.

Thanks for all your contributions here. I hope you have a great day :SUNsmile:
@Eman85

The nice thing for those of us who are able to do our surgery as elective, rather than emergency due to a fall, etc. is that we can often pick the season or set the date ourselves!

I timed my surgery to be at the end of the summer, after most of the gardening was done, and the gardens could go on autopilot for awhile. Others helped me with harvesting my fruits and vegetables, and within a couple months I was able to go outside and start some fall clean up.

I desperately needed the warmth and sunshine I could get in late summer/early fall to improve my spirits, and get out walking sooner/more. If it had been winter here in CO, I think I'd have mainly stayed inside, and probably gotten depressed.

I think with this surgery, however, if you are in crazy bad pain, no matter when you do it, after the first few weeks, you are sooooooo glad you had it done!:yes!:

Last edited:
Have to agree. I had my surgery late July in a heatwave and really appreciated sitting out in the fresh air and doing gentle walks… I think I would have gone crazy if stuck inside the house for 2 months!

You do see that I don't live in MN or CO! In Feb we've had 70* days along with cold ones. It was better that I was further along in recovery before warmer weather and outdoor chores began. That caused more setbacks than anything else. I'm not good at regulating my self and my chores tend to be larger than most people's. Once the warm weather came and the pool was open it was great. I couldn't imagine sitting there on a nice day and not being able to do what I wanted.
I had my surgery at a hospital in Knoxville,TN. It was more of a specialization hospital for heart,cancer and joint replacement. They were incredibly careful about any infection or sickness, I was extremely impressed. unfortunately it was the old hospital in the city and they have since closed it. Like everywhere the OS and the hospital are part of a group and they do have other hospitals in the group. I hope they have the same standards as I was impressed with the care I received. I had been in other hospitals before and none compared.
I did race the 2nd half of the season last year and did well, that's part of the timing thing as far as seasons go, no racing in the winter.

I had my op at a surgery center. I first balked at the idea because it was a further distance from my home than the hospital I assumed they'd be using. All they had to do was inform me of the dramatic difference in infection rates and I said "Sign Me Up!" I have an overactive imagination and figured there would be an overabundance of sick people coughing and spewing germs within a hospital setting during the Winter. I'd be unlucky, catch the worst cold of my life, envisioned coughing attacks and sneezing that would having me bracing myself each time due to the big gash in my leg. See....overactive imagination :heehee:
It's fortunate that in most cases we can choose what we feel will work best for us.

My operation was at a surgery center as well. It was a very positive experience and I hope I can do future surgeries in a similar setting. I had my back surgery done in one as well. Something about the smaller facility, being surrounded by fewer other patients, and more personalized setting----just the overall atmosphere made me feel less anxious. I didn't quite conjure up the same level of worse case scenarios that @Layla did, however. She wins the Best Imagination Award! :loll:

You worked around racing, Eman, I worked around travel and gardening, and Layla worked around germ avoidance and the warmth of the sun.:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts