THR THR tell me about your recovery

Coming up on 12 weeks, saw OS Thursday. Of course they want to know when I want the rt one done and of course now that I'm getting active it's now the bad hip and letting me know. Of course I can't just go ahead as my FMLA is running out and I'd have to wait a year after returning before I could do it again. I'm satisfied and he's satisfied with my progress. I've got a couple of little pinches now and then but mostly I just get a few aches at the end of the day. I can ride my tractors and the lawn mower so yard looks good. We got the garden planted and I worked my bee hive. I'm having times I forget I have the replacement which is good and bad at the same time. I have to watch myself that I don't perform a dreaded dislocation movement. I'm able to work on some cars which has been nice. Need to take more breaks than usual but that's good too. Lifting is definitely limited and carrying any weight is not going to happen.

I forgot to relate how much ROM I have gained. Laying on my back in bed doing what I guess is called adduction/abduction by moving each leg out to the side it is amazing how much further my new hip moves compared to my other. I'd say I have almost twice as much ROM in my new hip sliding my leg out like that, I never tried to see how far it would go while doing it as PT every day.

I have to watch myself that I don't perform a dreaded dislocation movement.
What is this? At 12 weeks you shouldn't be worried about dislocation. Did your OS give you lifetime restrictions?

According to charts on this forum and OS the restrictions and chances of it happening do diminish over time. First question I had was bungi jumping and then he suggested no inversion table. I do a lot of dumb stuff according to some. I still haven't gotten in the racecar.

First question I had was bungi jumping
Well I am afraid bungee jumping and parachuting were the only lifetime restrictions my LTHR surgeon imposed. Since I am not interested in either activity I don't feel limited. Bungee jumping when you have had a hip replaced is just not going to happen. Why ruin all the work your surgeon did and all the effort you put into recovering well?

Relax, I'm not going to bungee jump, but I had to ask. I also asked if I could play the piano. What's odd is he replied yes. Very surprising as I could never play before.
Seriously he recommended I didn't do any deep squats, running,jumping off of anything,heavy lifting or carrying and be careful about twisting on that leg.

@SaraK I did speak to a local labor attorney and communicated with an attorney at Disability rights.org, bot said the same thing. Under the ADA any return to work physical examination must be job related and consistent with business necessity. So if they deem this necessary for them to do business it's up to them what they require you to do.
On the positive side the weather is great and my new hip is doing good. Still know it's new and still has reminders at times that things are still healing. Of course now the other one is jealous so it's letting me know. First thing the OS's nurse and the OS asked was how the rt. hip is doing. After the extra work on the lt one I kid him about how the rt. one will be the money maker for him. I'm not ready to do it yet and because of job,health insurance and FMLA I can't do it now anyway.

Three months down!
Glad all is well with your new hip.
Have a good day

Thanks @Mojo333 , so far so good. Now I have the job thing to deal with. My OS did put restrictions on my release for good reason. I don't want to have any problems and lifting and carrying do not make either hip feel good.

Coming up on 15 weeks post op, I don't feel any younger but I don't have joint pain in my L hip. Plenty of other joints hurt just like they did before and my L leg has new aches as I test my ROM more. Thank heavens for the hot tub. Just got the pool opened so that will be great for exercising in and cooling off.

With the restrictions my OS put on my return to work form my company informed me they can't make accommodations for me. So I guess I'll be leading a life of leisure for now.

Honestly I feel fine about it. I waited to have my hip replaced for a lot of reasons. I wanted to be in a good position in life before I had it done. My priority is my health and my life so it's all good.

Well...then I'm happy for you.
The sky is the limit, right?
I wish you the best of luck moving forward.
Hope you have a peaceful week!
@Eman85

Happy Saturday! @Eman85
Thanks for the support and encouragement you offer on the forum.
I hope you're doing well and am wishing you a wonderful weekend!

I actually lost track of my original post, didn't know how to find it. I've been enjoying being a stay at home! I take a lot more breaks and usually ck the forum while I'm cooling off. I've been enjoying the pool so now I'm a full time landscaper and pool boy. I have been able to get my racecar ready and it's in the trailer, we'll see how it goes.

Tan race car driver with good hips!
Now that's retirement!
Good job Eman.
With all the problems you had since early childhood...you deserve a great second half!
Hope today is a Good Day!

photo.php
Boy if this is half way I really should have saved more for this half! I've had my bad hips but I've had a great life so far! My bad hips really didn't stop me from doing anything, some smart some not so smart. I never complained about my bad hips and I'll take them any day over many other problems others have.
Funny thing, with all the activity yesterday I had some stiffness this morning but once I got moving I feel really good today.
I'd post a pic of my car if I can figure out how to.

@Mojo333 OK, I figured out how to put it in my Avatar. Had to go to my computer instead of my tablet

That is awesome!
No wonder,you are "raring to go"
No going boom! Is against the rules!:no-fin:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads