Hip Infection* THR Take Two, 2.5 years later

Elsinore

Country
Canada Canada
Hi folks, did a search but didn't find out much regarding type 1's and thp.

I've asked the med team about this, and they say it's common to deal with diabetics and they've reassured me. Since I'm insulin-dependent I figure I can manage my glucose scores when they go soaring during/after this operation but any first hand advice would be appreciated.

And thank you to those who have read or answered my other posts. Hopefully down the line I can return the favour for others.

Elsinore aka Bruce

Re: Any diabetic type 1's out there who've had anterior thp?

Our search feature is having some problems right now, so that may be part of why you were not able to find threads related to Type 1 diabetes. I do recall a number of Type 2 diabetics, but can't say as I remember any Type 1.....but it just may be that I'm not remembering correctly.

But.....I don't think this is anything to worry about. Remember, all this is a way, way big deal to you and it's just another day at the office to all your medical team. They are very skilled at dealing with diabetic issues and you should have no problem. They will likely test and monitor your blood levels frequently throughout the day and night to keep you where you should be.

Don't worry about it, honey. The staff are well used to looking after patients with Type 1 diabetes. It's not at all uncommon. Usually we put up an IV of glucose, do regular BM blood tests about every 5 or 10 mins and give insulin according to the results.

phew. thank you
going in tomorrow morning at 6:30

Well, all the best. Do come and post here when you are home again - preferably in the Recovery forum! :wink:

Best of luck...see you on the other side!!

thanks folks
I posted about the experience in the January section

Hi folks, had anterior thp on January 18th. Other than some swelling from pushing a little too hard my progress has seemed to be pretty good. Have been using a cane for about two weeks now.

Prior to the operation, I had been exercising regularly, including eliptical trainer and stationary bike (walking was another story).

I've been able to walk for about 15 minutes at a time in the mall and around the neighbourhood. Then I need to rest.

Still have trouble getting my sock on:pzld:

Today, I used the treadmill for about 8 minutes, then tried the recumbant stationary bike for 3 minutes. Then lifted some light weights while sitting on a wieght bench.

Do you think I shouldn't use the bike yet? Things I've been reading say to wait for 6 weeks, and the physio encouraged the treadmill but I hadn't thought to ask about the bike...

Any points of view will certainly be appreciated.
Bruce

A bike is the perfect form of exercise for both hips and knees, Bruce.

Just don't start doing the Tour de France right off! :th_heehee:

I actually started on the bike before the elliptical or treadmill. Just watch the adjustment for the pedals to avoid bending your leg past the 90 degree. I actually found the upright bike more comfortable than the recumbent at first.

I can now bike for quite some time. But still cannot put on my socks. :sct:

I think the recumbant bike will violate your 90 degree restriction Elsinore. I was also active before my THR but waited until I was released from my restrictions (at 6 weeks). Then I started back on the upright with very little resistance.

I would check with your OS before using the recumbant - unless you have no 90 degree restriction.

Today is day 7. I would love to ride my Schwinn Airdyne stationary Bike. I think in about 2 or 3 weeks maybe. I can feel what's going on in there and I'm not ready for any Bike yet. Perhaps I'm over-concerned about risking a fall.

I would wait until you are released from your restrictions fishnbob. My OS said to wait 6 weeks.

If you are too impatient please call your OS and ask.

Thank you all. I will check with the OS first.
Much appreciated!

You are most welcome Elsinore. Happy riding!

oops! I thought this was the knee forum - sorry! :th_DOH:

I think the recumbant bike will violate your 90 degree restriction Elsinore. I was also active before my THR but waited until I was released from my restrictions (at 6 weeks). Then I started back on the upright with very little resistance.

I would check with your OS before using the recumbant - unless you have no 90 degree restriction.

I was just re-reading the replies. The OS said nothing about 90 degree restrictions. In fact the day after the surgery in bed I had already bent my leg more than that. Is it because I received an anterior approach?

I was just re-reading the replies. The OS said nothing about 90 degree restrictions. In fact the day after the surgery in bed I had already bent my leg more than that. Is it because I received an anterior approach?

I had Direct Anterior THR on 1/31. Released from hospital with no restrictions other than not attempting a "punt" type motion and no formal PT schedule. Surprised me and a lot of other people. Been walking unassisted and unaided since Wednesday.

I can't say for sure, but I'd guess your enjoying the same outstanding results that I am because of the Anterior. I hope it becomes more widely available so more hippies can benefit.

If you had no restrictions then get on your bike!

Yes I think hippies who benefit from anterior do have it a bit easier. But just go easy. Start with little or no resistance and build up.

Let us know how it goes!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
loo_who_too