Hip Infection* THR Take Two, 2.5 years later

2.5 weeks in. I feel good. Physio says I'm ahead of the game so that is a confidence bump.

Since it was an infection that attacked the bone around the previous prosthesis, I'm on a portable antibiotics drip for another 4 weeks. No big deal.

What is a big deal is finding a seat I can fit in with arms wide enough apart that can accommodate this Kardashian-size swollen right hip. The lovely and ever-helpful Anita found a patio chair in the basement that is perfect.

The big scar is closing well except for one area that is a bit reddish and drippy (clear colour). Intramural nurses stay in contact with Doctor who is a microbiologist (sending him pictures) to keep him apprised. I have to watch for fever but at this point, temp is ok and the pain is so diminished compared to pre op, I'm feeling pretty darn good.

Cheers!
Bruce

Happy Friday Bruce,
What a great update full of good news, thanks for sharing.
May it only get better. I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Elsinore

Had the operation 3 weeks ago today. Feeling strong. Can get up out of low comfy couches easily. I want to get outside. And ride my mountain bicycle... ok, not for a while.

Did a little research through medical journals on how the staphylococcus had access to my bloodstream and my implant. I've got 4 points of entry identified that I will talk to my surgeon about when I see him at the end of august:

1. access through the surgery itself. Hospitals are rife with this bacteria; although the surgery was way back in Sept 2018. Still possible
2. tooth extraction in August 2020
3. reusing my insulin needles up to 5 times (I stopped this now)
4. bad luck. Could be from something as innocuous as flossing my teeth.

I'm betting it's the tooth extraction or reusing my needles. If I had to choose, I'd go with the needle reuse.
Bruce

Happy Three Week Anniversary!
Great news to read you’re feeling strong. I guess we’re all at risk of infection, lifelong, after joint replacement. The possibility of an unpleasant complication is something most of us find unnerving to dwell upon. Basically we took a chance, for a better life, freeing us of the pain and disability of a deteriorating hip. Sadly, you are one of the unfortunate ones dealing with this outcome and I am truly sorry for that. Thankfully these infections are most often wiped out through medication and careful monitoring. There are many success stories to read here and hopefully you’ll join the ranks soon, ending this chapter on a happy note. Wishing you health and perfect healing. Take good care!
@Elsinore

Woohoo! Elsinore is back on the road. :driver:
Good luck transitioning from walker to cane. Thanks for the update, I hope things continue to go well for you!
@Elsinore

For all you folks having your incision closed with staples, make sure that whoever is taking them out doesn't miss any. I had one pesky area that kept seeping from the incision, Seems like a staple was two weeks past its best before date. A little infection was happening even though I'm on an antibiotic drip at home. The skin had mostly grown over it. All good tho.

Ooh sounds awful. When I was in hospital one of the nurses said that removing staples was her favourite thing!:groan:

So here we are, about 9 1/2 weeks since the operation.
I am happy. Very happy.
The hip movement feels great, pain is very rare, and if present, not that painful.
Since it was a hip replacement - replacement (revision), I'm not permitted to walk more than 20 minutes. I see the physio about every two weeks now, so will know if I can walk longer. The surgeon said I could ride my bicycle, but still a little too nervous to. Will start on the recumbent bike in the basement soon.

The main thing is to keep getting my weight down and to exercise without pushing it.
It's kinda interesting that my brother in law (who is in very good shape at 64) is worried about a bunch of us who are mid sixties, and will facilitate check ins with each other on our "getting healthy" progress - like a peer support group I suppose. I welcome this.

I had a bit of an epiphany about a month ago that some serious things have been going wrong with me that are making it harder to recover. And this means I better start taking care of my body - I'll not just keep recovering like I had when I was younger. Things like a stroke last year - I dodged a bullet since I bounced back. But now I'm more susceptible to strokes. Or using diabetes syringe needles more than once thus introducing bacteria into my previous hip replacement thereby necessitating its replacement and introducing pain levels I have never experienced before over a period of 6 months.

I'm down 10 pounds over the last 3 weeks from 266 to 256. 56 more to go. Quite the journey ahead.

@Elsinore Sounds like you've got this recovery mastered! Well done on he weight loss. Yes, age does catch up with us. Trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle can be a challenge. Ten pounds in 3 weeks - how did you do that?

Just catching up on your thread on this special day….Happy Three Month Anniversary!
You‘re doing so well. Congratulations on the weight loss and your awakening to the desire to be more mindful of your health going forward. Given your new hip, weight loss and new mindset, they’ll be no stopping you! I wish you continued success with the weight loss and all the benefits that good health brings. Take care and stay in touch!
@Elsinore

Thank you so much @Layla !
3 months in and I'm feeling little pain! Lots of physiotherapy going on...the easy exercises have been replaced with more difficult ones, and that's just fine.
Started on the recumbent bike last week and I'm lifting light weights while sitting down.
Feeling good.

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hopefully this month finds you even better than the last?
Christmas and the New Year are creeping up fast, I wish you a happy holiday season and a healthy 2022!
@Elsinore

Thank you so much @Layla. I've been looking forward to this day for so long since the 4 month mark signifies almost complete healing.
Using the cane only in the evening now which is great, and using walking sticks when I tag along on a dog walk.
Still feeling very happy with the surgeon. I'm seeing him on December 1st.
Life is so much better.
Happy Holidays to you and yours as well!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads