Hip Infection* THR Take Two, 2.5 years later

Hi @Elsinore
I'm sorry the gravity of your upcoming surgery is weighing on you...especially as details are discussed for the revision.
I am sure I would feel the same.:unsure:
I also had my hips replaced via the anterior method and though I hope these are my forever hips...I understand from reading that lateral and posterior approach provide advantages for visibility and access.
For all my reading on approaches for initial THRs and revisions, the main concensus when debates arise, is that the surgeon's expertise in a particular approach is the main factor for best outcomes.
I'm sorry you are facing the difficult protocols associated with infection and this revision, as I know from reading other member's threads that it is certainly no picnic.
Trust in your surgeon would be key for me, and I hope you are confident in yours.
Eat healthy, stay well and I hope you know we are cheering for you.
:friends:

Thank you @Mojo333 for both your support and information. You reminded me that the surgeon did say he needed more room to work as the implant is much bigger. I do have confidence in my surgeon and can tell the Microbiologist knows his stuff too.
Both of them mentioned that it is an extremely unlucky situation.
I was at a loss as to how it happened so when asking the Micro he said it could have been something as simple as flossing my teeth.
It's been an interesting ride over the last 6 months.
It seems that I did indeed have tendonitis in the hip starting in December. Then that abated followed up by the bacteria problem. There was no loosening in December, this only started after the tendonitis cleared up.
How weird.
Ok, time to do a little research and get it done. I need this. I want this.

@Elsinore by any chance did you have an injection for that bout of tendonitis?

BTW - I had lateral approach during my RTHR. Recovery was very straight forward. Anterior is not necessarily an easier or faster recovery.

Sounds like your surgeon is going to be very thorough. Glad you feel good working with him.

I’m sorry to read about the infection, Elsinore, and your resulting anxiety. Thankfully the bacteria identified is easily treatable. It sounds like your revision will be happening soon, then you’ll be on your way back to happy and healthy. I’ll be following your progress.
Wishing you only the best!
@Elsinore

"BTW - I had lateral approach during my RTHR. Recovery was very straight forward. Anterior is not necessarily an easier or faster recovery."
That's good news! @Jaycey

@Elsinore by any chance did you have an injection for that bout of tendonitis?

BTW - I had lateral approach during my RTHR. Recovery was very straight forward. Anterior is not necessarily an easier or faster recovery.

Sounds like your surgeon is going to be very thorough. Glad you feel good working with him.
Thanks @Jaycey . No I didn't have an injection for the tendonitis, my physio started to work after a few weeks to the point I was almost pain-free. Then the new pain started up, probably as the infection started... only my opinion of course.

Got a date! A week before my 66th bday --> July 12th.
Anxiety is quite reduced although the fact it'll take 5 hours still worries me. I'll chalk that up to thoroughness.

I was glad to read that those of you who had the anterior approach did great.
Bruce
1624897676126.png

Oh boy...tomorrow morning I get my part installed.

Best wishes, Bruce! We’ll be thinking of you tomorrow and watching for your first update once you’re resting comfortably at home. When your 66th birthday rolls around in a week, you’ll already be feeling better I’ll bet. Sorry you have to go through this but, fingers crossed it’s ALL smooth sailing. :)
@Elsinore

@Elsinore wishing you the best for tomorrow's surgery, keeping you, the surgical team and the microbiologist in my thoughts. You've got this!. :thumb:

Good Morning :wave:
It‘s great to see your update. Sorry that you’re dealing with the pain. Thankfully the nurses are doing their best to keep you comfortable. I hope you’re able to get some restorative rest today. Stay in touch. We’re here for you!
@Elsinore

Not gonna lie...a revision takes more energy out of you. Did another walk with pt crew and my exercises. Hoping to get home today...got some exercise going to the bathroom last night 4 times....glucose scores were high because of the operation and I am a type 1 diabetic

I can only imagine how depleted you must be feeling. I’m sure you’re pretty exhausted as your body uses energy for healing first, not leaving much for anything else. I hope you find it easy taking naps and will rest more comfortably at home. Fingers crossed your glucose levels out.
Wishing you lots of comfort.
@Elsinore

Hi, friend. :) :-) (:
Hope you are home and able to get more comfortable.
It IS important to stay hydrated but, man, I sure did get frustrated when I found my comfy spot-and then nature called.:nah:
But, as you know, it is also important to move about....

This is the tough part, I'm sure.
Hope today is a bit better.
Healing Mojo coming your way.:) :-) (:

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words of encouragement!!!
Still here at the hospital...I'm beginning to think the meals are outstanding.

Anita said the scar is huge...about 14 inches. At least that's cool.

Next step is the intramur
al coming daily to manage the portable anti biotic drip and to take blood weekly. FINALLY, some regular company.

Great Food....cool Big ole scar.... Regular company.... Sounds like "Club Med (ical)"
:) :-) (:
Least you are keeping your good humor in tact, friend.

:fingersx: for good reports so you can get home soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back