Hip Infection* THR Take Two, 2.5 years later

Hi @Elsinore on the whole I am pretty good get the odd bad day but mostly good.
I’ve come along in leaps and bounds especially after the bruising had come out on both hips & buttocks and finally being able to lower myself onto the raised toilet seat and relax without fear of passing out, anyway if we didn’t have these challenges the recovery would be quite boring, only kidding.
Aim tonight is to beat my sleep record of 2 & 1/2 hours so here goes, so you look after yourself and I will catch up with you again.

Hi @Elsinore, I am going in for the aspiration on Friday. I am scared now though, you said your hip and thigh have been seriously swollen - was that from the aspiration?
My hip has been 'hurting' since December but I think it's very unlikely to be infection given the length of time without any elevated blood results so don't want the aspiration especially if it can go wrong.

Hi @Elsinore, I am going in for the aspiration on Friday. I am scared now though, you said your hip and thigh have been seriously swollen - was that from the aspiration?
My hip has been 'hurting' since December but I think it's very unlikely to be infection given the length of time without any elevated blood results so don't want the aspiration especially if it can go wrong.
Hi @jean1702
Yes, it was from the aspiration. The mistake I made is not realizing that the swelling was going to take place at all.
I'd say, the moment you get home, pound the water into you, and get that leg elevated. If you're mobile, move around as much as you can.
My swelling stopped yesterday actually.
I still think it is important to get the aspiration... it provides the doctor with important clues.
On the 3rd day or so, when I realized that Tylenol Arthritis worked it may be something you can implement from the get go.
Bruce

As you can see in the avatar I ride a dirt bike. Truth be told, at 65 I stick to smooth and easy trails... motocross days are loooong gone.
Anyone ask their surgeon if they can still do this?
I'm afraid to ask him. Especially since it seems like my right hip replacement needs a replacement after a couple of years due to loosening.

When I was pregnant with my first baby, my husband had a motorcycle. I asked my OB if I could ride it, he said sure, just don’t fall off! Much to my mother in law’s dismay, I rode it until I was about 4 months. Thankfully we never fell! Sadly, we sold it to buy our first house.

@Elsinore I asked after my recent RTHR. He told me to wait at least 6 weeks and not to fall. LOL I plan on waiting a few more weeks, though. I rode a lot after my LTHR in 2014 and I even fell once at 5 years post op. It wasn’t a problem, thank God.

We have many members over the years who have ridden motorcycles. Unless your surgeon has a good reason to say not to ride, you should be able to ride your motorcycle.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

:wave:@Elsinore
Looks like you are headed for take two for righty....
I did/and now do spend alot of time riding rough terrain with my ATV...though I waited almost two years before doing any rough riding...I just cruised around on flat ground before then.
I really didn't want to do anything jarring to disturb that titanium rod inserted into my femer until I felt like it had ample time to stay afixed.
I still try not to overdo the impact part of activity, like jumping down off high places and etc.

he said, he will only replace the long part in my leg (what's that called? reminds me of an Arabian sword).
You would be referring to the femoral component or the femoral stem. Not exactly like a sabre.:heehee:

I will be wishing you all the best as you prepare to see what's next on this journey.

Hello @Elsinore ,
You'll notice that I have merged several of your threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title to reflect your new question, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Best wishes,
Celle

I'm afraid to ask him. Especially since it seems like my right hip replacement needs a replacement after a couple of years due to loosening.
@Elsinore , it probably wouldn't be a good idea to ride a dirt bike at the moment, as you have a loose femoral component in your right hip. Riding could cause increased loosening and damage to the femur.

It sounds as if you will be needing a revision of your right THR and you should ask your surgeon about the prospects of riding your dirt bike, once you have recovered from the surgery.

As you can see in the avatar I ride a dirt bike. Truth be told, at 65 I stick to smooth and easy trails... motocross days are loooong gone.
My OS told me not to fall down, I do my best not to. As far as riding a MC or bike seriously does it matter what the OS says? After all it's not the OS that is going to suffer the consequences. I climb ladders and walk roofs and other silliness an OS is going to cringe over. I don't ride my MC's any longer but that's just my choice I still have them. I do still race my car in my avatar. I gave my OS a winners circle pic for after the first THR, he was thrilled. Now I have to get him one with both hips.

So, my Surgeon called tonight.
He said that I do have bacteria (infection) in my painful hip.
He asked if I have been fighting one recently. Not really.
He is sending me to see a microbiologist to figure out the source; he says it will be within a week.
He also said the type of bacteria is easily treated. Phew.
Then he told me he'll be taking the femur part out and replacing it.
I'm happy.
@jean1702 It seems like the aspiration was definitely a good idea. Go for it.

And for all of you who said to get back on the bike. I heart you. Old school:
1622678804435.png

Bruce

Last edited:
@Elsinore,
I've updated your title for you.
While it is not the answer you wanted to hear, at least you know about the infection and the microbiologist will be called in to help with ID and treatment.
All the best as you move forward with treatment.

@Elsinore good morning from Wales glad you got a definite response and you know what you are faced with, the bacteria is easily treatable and the procedure required, you’ll be back on the bike in no time at all, chin up & look after yourself.

Here we go... expected to have the revision before the end of June.
Looking forward to it.
Do I get to be a June Sunbeam now?

Microbiologist and surgeon are teaming up this time. Expected to be in the hospital two days rather than one. Going to have a metered intravenous antibiotic for a few weeks post surgery, then 3 to 6 months taking liquid or oral after that.

It was kind of cool when the microbiologist showed Anita and I the difference between last December's xray and the one a month ago - it showed clearly where the loosening and gapping was occurring. Don't get me wrong; I'd rather be avoiding all this. Think of the money I'd save on the hospital bed rental...

:wave:@Elsinore
Glad you don't have a longer wait so you can get back on a healing path to get back to your active life.
Here we go... expected to have the revision before the end of June.
Looking forward to it.
Do I get to be a June Sunbeam now?
Yes, you do.:) :-) (:
Let us know when you get your surgery date and we will add you on.
Sounds like you're infection doctor and surgeon have a specific protocol... And I'm sure this won't be a walk in the park. But your positive attitude has always served you well in recovery, so we will be following your story.:ok:

Freaking out.
Saw surgeon today.

1. He's doing a lateral approach involving cutting and reattaching muscles. My last two were anterior which allowed a faster recuperation. Not looking forward to this.

2. Last two procedures, it took him about an hour each. This one is five hours for a revision. Jeez. Lots of debriding, cleaning, flushing, hammering and applying of anti biotics. On a metered feed of antibiotics for 6 weeks. Then months of oral anti biotics as I mentioned previously.

Feel like I've been smacked in the head. Didn't expect the 5 hours nor the lateral approach.
Will have to dig deep for this one.

Could be next week, or the following two weeks.
Going to have to concentrate on adopting the right mental state.
Education regarding the lateral approach is welcomed warmly.
Bruce

Last edited:
@Elsinore
Please post your surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature for you, and add you to the June Sunbeams. Having the exact date will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie