BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

THR September 18,2019

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by HHiggins, Sep 3, 2019.

1. HHiggins

HHiggins new member

United States United States
    Horseback riding for 7 years with THR on right from posterior approach. I waited 14 weeks before getting back in the saddle. I have some pain with the ligament on the right hip but improves with exercise and stretching.

Now going for THR of left hip this September 2019. I was wondering if anyone is riding with bilateral hip replacements? This one will be with an anterior lateral approach. I am willing to do the rehab and to waiting the appropriate amount of time before getting back in the saddle.

Just wondering if anyone else has had bilateral THR and is riding again? No competition just slow trail rides on a beautifully gaited well trained horse.

Thank you,

2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Dont know if @Alitm is too busy to check in but let's see!

3. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@HHiggins I am a new double hippie, and love horses and riding. I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to. Especially if you take things slowly. I'm assuming that you are very comfortable in the saddle and have good riding instincts.. your horse sounds perfect! If Alitm is busy and doesn't see the tag, maybe read through her recovery thread and see how she did..I think she mentions it a few times there.
    Would you like to have a thread in the pre op forum? It's a great place to ask questions and get support for your upcoming surgery.
    It is also helpful to have your previous surgery date and your upcoming surgery date listed in your signature.. then anyone reading your thread has the information handy to help with their replies. If you reply here with the dates we can get them added for you.
    Hopefully this helps--

Welcome to the forum, it had a lot of useful advice and friendly people!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  4. HHiggins

HHiggins new member

Thank you Carol for your response.
    12/10/2012 Date of posterior lateral approach THR Right hip
    09/18/2019 Scheduled THR of Left hip.

Both hip have severe arthritis (thanks to my father :) ) As bad as the Left hip is I have found a way to do almost everything with the exception of riding. I was fine early May then everything went downhill quickly. My objective is to ride. I started so late in life (age 50) and I am horse crazy.

Yes I should probably be in the pre op section.

Thank you!
    Pat

5. HHiggins

HHiggins new member

Good Day,

I am sure there is good information out there. I am having my second THR done on September 18, 2019. I am hoping there is someone out there that rides horses with two THR's. Any information will be helpful.

Pat

6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
    We'll get you moved to the pre-op side and apply your surgery dates as your signature.
    Not long to wait now...stay in touch, we'll be here to support you on the journey.
    A great Wednesday to you and wishes for your comfort as you await your date.
    @HHiggins

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  7. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Heres our horse riding double hippie’s thread in case you didn't know how to locate it-

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/celebrating-one-at-a-time-encore.50135/

I have complete faith that you'll ride again. But it will take time.
    Based on what I know about horses and my own hips I wouldn't attempt to mount up until maybe 5 or 6 months and begin walking only (in the saddle) and proceed from there.
    I found the tiny inner thigh muscles to be the toughest to strengthen and get calmed down after over use.
    But read the above thread and see what it tells you. All of our recoveries are so different, so its all taken with a cautionary warning that yours may take longer or less time!
    Thank you for giving your surgery dates. So helpful!

8. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@HHiggins
    You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your pre op thread where you will receive more responses to your questions.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns in the pre op forum. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

9. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Here is your copy of the pre op information, be sure to take a look at amazing hip recoveries.
    If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
    Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing hip recoveries

• Like Like x 1