THR Scheduled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terri

I am scheduled for THR on Aug 2 for my left hip, I am almost 54 yrs. old. Would love to hear from anyone that has the Oxinium replacement product. Also, my Dr.'s office told me to expect that I could return to work in about 6 weeks, has anyone been able to do this. My daughter is getting married 8 weeks after my surgery, will I still be using a cane/crutches? All feedback is appreciated. I have had pain 24/7, only use Advil to get through, but looking forward to resuming some physical activities again. I am very limited in my activities due to the pain but have pushed through because I have to continue to work (I travel as part of my job).

Hi Terri,

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!! I had simultaneous bilateral THR May '05, Stryker metal/poly, uncemented, posterior approach. Now every body, surgeon, surgery is different so no one can tell you exactly what your recovery will be like, but I can tell you how mine went.

A lot depends on how good a shape you are in before the surgery. I was in excellent condition being a competetive masters athlete, so my recovery was very fast, but at least it can give you an idea of what is possible.

How well you do your PT following surgery is very important too. The harder you work, the better you will do.

I will tell you that having new hips has given me a new lease on life, and I love being able to do things without the pain!

I was getting around the hospital after 1 day on crutches, home the next day. The grinding pain in the hip is instantly gone! The pain from the surgery was easy to stay on top of with some really nice drugs and I was off them within a week. After about 4 days I was forgetting to use my crutches when going room to room!! I was back in the pool doing therapy as soon as my incisions healed, about 2 weeks. With my OS permission I was walking without any aids completely by 3 weeks. Back to work with help as a dog groomer at that time too. Within 2 months I was starting to cross train.

If you travel by air for your work, plan on being patted down every time. You will set off the metal detectors everytime! I just let them know as I p*** thru and they send me off to the coral. Usually only takes a few extra min, but plan for more. One time they had trouble finding a female worker available so I had to wait almost 15 min with an already tight schedule!

If you work at it, I think you could be dancing at your daughter's wedding!! What a wonderful goal for yourself! Good luck.
Andrea

Thanks Andrea, I do hope to be dancing at my daughter's wedding. I have not been able to exercise in a very long time due to pain and limited mobility but I am very determined to work hard post surgery to heal and become mobile quickly. I have a strong constitution, as I said, I have not used any pain medication other than Advil, during the last year. My doctor's have been surprised at that. Once again, thank you for your encouragement. I appreciate it. Terri

I'm now 9 weeks post-THR. I was able to switch from the walker to a cane after about 2 1/2 weeks. At 6 weeks, the surgeon told me it would be ok to walk without the cane as I felt ready. I usually take the cane now if only I'm going to be doing alot of walking. At home, I do without the cane. Haven't tried dancing yet, though....
Cheryl

Thank you for the feedback. My surgeon said if everything goes right I will be able to drive and return to work full time after 6 weeks. He also has said I can put as much weight, as I am comfortable with, on my leg the day after surgery. I will be undergoing my surgery a week from tomorrow. So tired of the day to day pain, can't wait to get rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker