THR Scheduled for 8/8/18!

Small1014

Country
United States United States
I’m taking the plunge after about a year of trying to address my hip pain from OA. So disappointed that HA and stem cell injections didn’t resolve the pain. Finally ready for a permanent fix! Anyone else here use Dr David Taunton from Bedford?

:welome: to Bonesmart.
I was shocked to think hip replacement was my only recourse at age 53. But as I was getting older than I felt, if that makes sense, constantly limping in pain and unable to sleep or enjoy the things I want to do, I also took the plunge.
I am ever so glad I did.
This forum was an invaluable tool for a successful recovery.
Lots of great advice!
Do you have a date yet? Is your OA in only one hip?

Hi Mojo! Yes, my THR is set for 8/8. ALthough I have OA in both hips, it's mild and not painful in the left. The right is moderate to severe, and it quite painful. Cortisone injections help a lot, but only last 6-8 weeks. When did you have your surgery, and how did it go?

I had both hips replaced May 1 of last year!
Hated life for first two weeks, but thanks to bonesmart and due to the amount of pain and sleeplessness prior...I figured out all temporary recovery mess and I would actually be better at the end of it all.
And I am so much better I almost have to pinch myself!
Haven't regretted it one day (after the first two weeks of course:heehee:)
Large doses of patience will be prescribed!:) :-) (:

Dear Small - I would suggest that you check into a recliner (per Mojo33 links). I was unable to sleep in our bed (even with an airmattress on top) so slept in the recliner for the first 10 days. This forum was HUGE to me once I found it (after my first THR). I devoured so many of the posts and only wished I had read them before my surgery. I think you'll find a LOT of support and assistance here. It sounds like you have been struggling with the pain for quite a while, I hope that once you get through the surgical "after-effects" (constipation from the pain meds is REAL), you'll be on your way to scheduling hip #2. My right hip (although in worse shape) hasn't been nearly as painful but once I hit that high deductible, I decided to go all bionic and stuff!! I will be ahead of you 2 days for my 2nd but will be watching your posts closely!! You've got this lady!

Thanks @NanaKP! I do have a good recliner, and I'll keep that in mind if I have trouble sleeping in the bed. We also have 4 dogs that usually sleep with us, and I know that's not a good idea. Recliner might be the perfect way to keep them away from me. Good point about meeting the deductible, but I just don't think my left hip is causing enough pain to have a second surgery that soon. Did you use full GA, or did you try spinal with sedation? I'd like to try the latter, but too afraid I might be somewhat aware of what's happening. We'll have to stay in touch through our journeys!

Hi Small - I do understand about the not being sure if it's time for #2 yet but since my right hip is actually in worse shape than the left, it was only a matter of time. I was completely unsure about having the spinal but after a lengthy conversation with the anesthesiologist, I went with it. He promised me he would go to a general if I showed any signs of being aware. He must've given me a very hefty dose of the spinal because I was still numb several hours after the first PT session was to take place (fine by me)!! I also did mine as an outpatient and was home within 12 hours of surgery time. My husband rarely left my side for the next 5 days because he was afraid I'd fall (lesson learned from foot surgery 8/17). We are planning on outpatient again but always have the choice to spend the night if needed. I have requested the same surgical/nursing staff if at all possible because they just plain out ROCKED. I had PT this morning so we've planned out my strategy for the next 4 sessions to strengthen that left leg/hip as much as possible. I was telling him about this forum and how helpful I found it to be and wished I had found it BEFORE my first THR. Live and learn. So glad to connect on here with you (& others).

Also, not sure what your regular choice of clothing is for comfort but I am a running shorts & tshirt type of gal. The running shorts have the built in liner so you don't have to worry about "layers". I bought a size up from normal and they fit just fine over the bandaging (and were easy for my husband to help me with). I wore Keen sandals for shoes (slip on with velcro straps) - they are breathable and comfy (again, my husband could help get them on and fasten them). I hope that may answer any question you have about what to wear (I had so many questions about that and no one could answer other than "don't wear heels the day of surgery" from the surgical staff!! Seriously, it was printed in their booklet twice so clearly there was a need for that!) Hahahahaha, I still get a chuckle out of that one and joked that I would have to rethink what I wore that day because I had my "pole dancing shoes" laid out ready to wear with my running shorts!

Thanks for the tips, NanaK! I'll talk to the anesthesiologist about the spinal. Did you use one of those ice machines for your hip.... or just bags of ice? I've been doing some Pilates to try and strengthen the legs before surgery. I just have to avoid some of the "wide circle" movements with the legs because of the pain. So are you less nervous for this second surgery than you were for the first one?

I'm probably less nervous for this surgery because I know more what is going to happen. Like I said, I wish I had found this forum before that one. I didn't use one of those ice machines - I used the large (probably 18" x 24") gel pad things that freeze (ordered from Amazon). They freeze pretty solid and I could contour it around where I wanted it. I just used one again this morning after PT, in fact. Note: I also purchased my crutches, shower stool, walker and cane from Amazon. They were very reasonable (daughter bedazzled my walker so after this next go around, AND the grandsons driving it all around, I can toss it). I begrudgingly bought the cane - wanted to be apparatus free by week 5/6 but found I still needed assistance, especially as the day wore on at work. Now I have to keep the grandsons from shortening it down to a 1' length so they can use it for their "bum legs". :heehee:

I was trying to think if there was any other tips that I figured out that wished I had known before - I kept a large binder with all of my insurance paperwork, doctor notes, receipts, etc. and blank pages to write notes in. I wasn't as great at keeping a diary as I had intended but I did keep some notes jotted down. Oh, I used one of those lap desk things to put my laptop on (ice pack fit neatly underneath) and I ate my meals on that the first week or so (I bought mine at Hobby Lobby for a few dollars).

I drive a Honda Accord so getting in and out of it was REALLY difficult after surgery (I am 5'2"). We are now looking at Suburbans once again (easier to get in/out of and also to transport what will be a gaggle of grandkids someday)!:snork:

I hope your dogs are different to mine then. Sometimes I can’t breathe properly and I sleep in my recliner...that’s if I can squeeze in between my dog and old cat. They love it when I use the recliner.

Hi Gidget! My pups don’t like the recliner- not enough room! But they love the bed. Is your dog a Shih-Tzu? I used to have two of them, and they were the sweetest! Are you having hip surgery?

Hi, no Lily’s a malti x Peke. I havent had surgery due to medical issues making it too risky. Hoping to improve and have my hip,fixed one day.

My fur babies make room on the recliner where it doesn’t exist!

Spinal was great compared to GA which I've had in the past for other ortho surgeries. I don't see how anyone can ice properly with ice or ice packs, my surgery included the circulating ice water cooler which is a Breg.

Thanks @Eman85! I asked my OS about the ice machine, but he said they only do that for knees. I have a friend that has one from a previous knee surgery, and I might borrow it. Do you know if I can order a
"hip band" to use with it instead of the knee band? So with your spinal, were you completely unaware of everything that went on? That's my only concern... I also have some sleep apnea, so not sure if that would impact ability to use the spinal with sedation.

My ice machine came with a knee pad and a full pad I used for my hip. With my spinal I was out of it and didn't know a thing. I have 2 bad hips, left was the worst one, rt is behaving itself and I hope to keep it till the end.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member