THR Scheduled for 6th Feb (UK)

@HertsHippy Sketchers are the best!! Fantastic shock absorbing sole as well!

itsahippy, nothing will feel too weird. You won't feel the prosthetic in there unless it's in your imagination. Below the waist you might just feel a bit heavy, like a heavy fatigue. The 1st thing I remember feeling was the pinch of the catheter. I think my legs just felt very heavy if I tried to move them.

It takes a bit of effort to dislocate and don't worry about that. If you do, you will know it and know full well you need an ambulance. You will not be wondering if or if not.

I am not dismissing your anxiety in the least. So many unknowns. I feel them too in a big way. Make sure you keep checking in for support!!

What day is your surgery? Which hip?

@itsahippy

The operated leg feels like lead to begin with but movement gradually comes back.

Dislocation risk is very low but you want to avoid bending and twisting too much. You have to sleep on your back initially which sounds hard but in practice is OK because it is not comfortable to do anything else.

:hi: not much longer...and bye bye hip pain.
Which hip is being replaced and we can add you to the February Valentine's list and add it to your signature.
:loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:

Hi @Mojo333 It’s the Left one & all set for Wed 6th Looking forward to losing that pain but pretty anxious about the recovery!

Cheers @HertsHippy

I cannot sleep on my back but everyone tells me I’ll be so tired / dosed up on meds that i will

Good to know about dislocation feels as though if you sit down wrong & it’ Pop out!

@itsahippy I have always been a side sleeper and didn't think I would ever be able to sleep on my back but found with a couple of pillows under my head creating a bit of a slope and one under my legs to avoid back ache I did manage. I had a little issue with my arms at my sides, they felt weird and unsupported. Eventually I figured out it was quite comfy with very small cushions under my arms. Luckily I was in the guest bed so I didn't have to fit hubby in the bed with all my pillows :loll:

I was told that if you dislocate the hip, you will not be wondering if you have; you will know exactly how bad it is and feel no other option but to call for an ambulance. Believe it or not, that helped me relax about it knowing I wouldn't be wondering all the time with every ache & pain. If you obey your restrictions carefully, I understand the restrictions are slim

Best of luck! Re sleeping on your back, I was worried about this too but it was ok. Try to get a small towel or sheepskin to put under your ankles as the heels can get very sore from being in one position. I had the spinal and sedation and it worked well for me. Just make sure you are getting your meds on time and don’t be afraid to make a fuss if you get any pain.

It is very unlikely you will dislocate. You have a wedge between your legs for the first day which makes it impossible to turn over anyway. Your op leg will feel heavy but gradually you will be able to wiggle your toes and slide your ankles and do the ankle pumps. Will be thinking of you! See you in the other side of the op!

Thanks @SurreyGirl Yes weirdly the sleeping is something I’m really not looking forward to- Fussing on standby!

Bad Hip & referred knee pain is my only frame of reference so hard to imagine what the surgical pain will be like in comparison

I will be having the Posterior / side approach I believe which should be good long term but can be hard work recovery wise initially

@itsahippy - I was a bit concerned about sleeping on my back but it was fine - my hip would not let me turn in bed for the first 5 weeks or so.

Surgical pain with meds is not nearly as bad as screaming bone on bone pain.

Wow @HertsHippy 5 weeks!

I’ve been bone on bone + cam hip impingement (flat bit) for such a long time - it’s pretty brutal so sounds like improvement is ahead

I am a bit worried about accidentally dislocating it in the first few days / weeks by forgetting & moving in the wrong way !
Worry not! Your hip will just not want to move in certain ways. Just listen to your hip.
I will be having the Posterior / side approach I believe which should be good long term but can be hard work recovery wise initially
No harder work than any other approach. It's all about the skill of your surgeon and how you react to the procedure. Just take things slow and steady. Don't set unreasonable goals and expectations and you will be fine!

@itsahippy - I also was cam FAI in both hips - turned to OA in right hip probably from playing a lot of squash. Need to look after left hip to avoid becoming a double hippy so no more competitive squash and no running.

Thanks @Jaycey ! Your comments & all the comments here are really appreciated

As far as I can tell my surgeon is well regarded & despite me starting to hyperventilate at the fact it’s literally days away now he does fill me with confidence I’m in as good hands as I could ask for

Hi @HertsHippy sure sounds like we’re similar cases then

I believe only my L has FAI but my R hip is catching up on the OA front so unfortunately I’ll have to go through this again I expect...

One more day then it’s the Op!!

Any suggestions for preventing becoming a nervous wreck with anxiety?

Lots of distraction...:yes: Mindless TV?
No Googling ...:no-fin:
No negative thinking...:bignono:

Hear the good positive things your Bonesmart friends say about this life changing surgery.
You've got this girl!:friends:
We will be cheering you on:happydance::ok:

Thank you @Mojo333

I’m at work for most of the day so there’s a distraction but the rest will be prepping & re-prepping ready for a very early start...

I have to be there for 7am! & if all goes to plan I’m first in which is kind of my surgeon as he knows I’m a tad anxious! Of course other things could mean I’m not first but that’s the plan

I can’t stop googling! My bad - will try & curb it

Thanks again!

You’ll be fine - the hospital will look after you. And think about the weeks and months ahead and how much better you will be.

Make a note of your progress so you can see how you improve (if you don’t you will forget the key milestones).

Good luck

This is also a great diary to have!
We want to celebrate your milestones with you too!:yay:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member