THR RTHR recovery thread - posterior approach

Lucy4

Country
United States United States
My surgery is tomorrow morning and thought I’d get this thread started! I’m part terrified and part ready to get this done. I’m 57 and have been pretty active with Pilates and walking (when I can). I’m anxious to get on the other side and be able to go for walks without pain and limping, do Pilates without pain, just be able to participate in life without always thinking about my hip or in pain.

Hello Lucy,
You’re not alone in feeling pre-op anxiety. We all did and we’re here to tell our stories.

Your surgery will be over in the blink of an eye. Once you get to your surgery site they’ll keep you pretty busy. Conversation is usually lighthearted and your care team will do their best to keep you comfortable. They can give you something for anxiety and it does help, so ask if you’re feeling exceptionally anxious. Remember that the medical professionals are doing what they’ve studied to do, what they do well and what they do daily. What you’ll have in common with them is that all involved want the same result, a good outcome and everyone will work toward that end. You’ll be in good hands and I’m betting you do great!

I’ll leave the Recovery Guidelines for you to look over while you’re clear headed.

Wishing you comfort and an uneventful surgery. Will look forward to following your recovery journey!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Anxiety? You bet! But for a good cause! Except for my long wait to go to pre-op, pre-op kept me busy and was actually pretty interesting. It seemed like no time before they were wheeling me into the OR. Then the best nap and surgery was over. All in a days work for the healthcare team so they did keep it pretty light and I felt very well taken care of. Just remember to speak up and ask for anything you need or that is concerning you. Trust me, it won’t be the first time they have heard it and sometimes things get lost in the shuffle when it’s busy, so don’t be shy. Blessings for an uneventful surgery tomorrow with good pain control. We’ll be anxious to hear your first update from the healing side when you are feeling up to it. ❤️ Pat.

@Lucy4 I think most of us were part terrified and part let's get this show going! I know I was, kept threatening to do it myself! :heehee: Try to get some rest tonight and before you know it tomorrow, you'll be waking up on the recovery side. Look forward to your update once you're feeling up to it.

That mixture of worry and ready to be on the other side is so normal. I think we all get to that point, I know I did even with the last surgery and it was my 4th joint replacement. The good part is that tomorrow you will be on the other side of the waiting and beginning your recovery and on your way to recovering the things you enjoy.

Welcome to the other side @Lucy4 ! Are you sure your op only took 30 minutes? If so, that's a record! Happy healing!

30 minutes!! :wowspring: Record time.

Wishing you comfort as you begin to heal. :)
@Lucy1

Congrats on your shiny new hip! One hurdle done. The next: a good recovery. Looking forward to your next post.

Congrats on the new hip and breaking surgery records! Not don't make us have to chase you around trying to break recovery records! :dancy: :heehee:

Rest easy and enjoy that pain being gone!

Welcome to the other side @Lucy4 ! Are you sure your op only took 30 minutes? If so, that's a record! Happy healing!
That’s what the surgeon told us. Of course I took a few hours to get out of recovery. I don’t remember anything after they gave me some med before the spinal. Apparently I answered questions but the next thing I knew I was in recovery!

Congratulations on your new hip. It is wonderful with the meds that we don't remember all that goes on in surgery. Now for a nice recovery. Remember to ice and even in the car going home, it really helps.

I was up and moving yesterday, my spinal was slow to wear off but I felt good doing this. the doctor said they gave me something that numbed the pain for the first 4 days and they expected the bad pain to only be 2 days. I need to ask what that is.

It’s awesome to only have aches and not the groin and bone pain.

No more joint pain. Isn’t it grand? I’m not sure in multimodal anesthesia what is included: probably depends on OS and anesthesiologist. One numbing agent, like novacaine, that mine uses is called Exparel. I had a different one with my arthroscopy but they all do the same thing with different lasting powers. I hope you don’t have bad pain but don’t completely count on not so you’re not too discouraged if you do. Sometimes the swelling and what’s been done to your body catches up after all the good stuff has worn off. Ice, elevate, and keep on top of any pain with regular drugs. They are prescribed for a reason. May you be safe at home soon and as comfortable as one can be after major surgery. ❤️

I need to ask what that is.

You can request a copy of your surgery notes for your personal records. I did at one of my post op appts. All I had to do was sign a form and they mailed the info pretty quickly.

My surgeon used Exparel which was injected in the area at closing and slowly wore off over a 72 hr period. I never experienced what I’d consider extreme pain. With that said, I do believe I have a high pain threshold. I waited for the supposed Day 3-4 pain I heard many experience and honestly I was like this -> :bored: It Didn’t Happen.

I’m not bragging or taking that for granted because I’m sure the day will come that I’ll need to address my other hip and I can only pray to be as lucky twice. I will add that ice was pretty much my constant companion for about the first week and a half to two weeks. Used even longer, but very often in those early days.

I hope you remain comfortable with well managed pain. :) A peaceful evening to you!

I came home yesterday afternoon and immediately forgot to stay ahead of the pain. I missed my tramadol and it was awful! i caught up and then set my alarm for 4 am to take tramadol . Iced over night and with the 4am tramadol, I felt much better this morning. Even with this, I slept better than I have in months!

i have a 2 story with about 14 stairs and that went easily both up & down.

i won’t do that again! I’m going to take it easy today.

Glad to hear that you are now setting alarms for when to take pain meds. I made a list on a notepad for my meds with the time they were due and checked them off as I took them and set my alarm so I would be reminded. Sometimes my brain was a bit foggy post surgery and with medication.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back