THR THR progress update 24 days post-surgery

You’re welcome!
We‘re glad you found us too. Please keep us posted on your progress. We‘ll be your biggest cheerleaders. Try CricketHips lymphatic drainage also and see if you begin noticing a difference. You’ll get there… brighter days are on the way! :SUNsmile:
@Starmarie

@Starmarie It's normal to experience swelling that possibly will come and go for a while longer. Are
you taking some time to lie down and rest /elevate your leg? Here's a great picture of the best way to do it.. hope this helps.. I will leave another post with some simple steps you can do to help move your swelling gently and fairly easily.

Laying with a pillow under your knee is not a good idea. It should be like this, similar but different!

cushion-elevate-1-small-jpg.72132
@CricketHip I’m new here so hope this isn’t bad form - commenting in someone else’s recovery thread. Is there a name for this type of pillow. I tried to replicate it with a bunch of pillows but didn’t have success.

The yoga 'legs up the wall' comment reminded me of when I tried that. It was an epic failure mainly due to the cat who simply could not work out what was going on and tried really hard to get me back up again! I doubt I could get down on the floor again sadly.

:wave:@Ebioic
Welcome to the forum.
Many members have found
The Lounge Doctor (click on this link) helpful for elevation but there are other methods to achieve proper elevation.

A moderator will add you to the August recovery group but you can start your own thread before then some can give you our recovery guidelines that include articles on elevation and where you can post any questions you have without derailing another members thread. :) :-) (:

Let us know if you need help with this.

The yoga 'legs up the wall' comment reminded me of when I tried that. It was an epic failure mainly due to the cat who simply could not work out what was going on and tried really hard to get me back up again! I doubt I could get down on the floor again sadly.
Funny that you mention your cat because when I did put my legs up on the wall last night my cat came around and laid down next to me. I think he was waiting for some treats.
Since I have always done yoga at home my cats tend to imitate what I’m doing and sometimes i’ll find one of them doing the same pose next to me. They seem to get really excited when I get down to their level on the floor . Cats are strange creatures.

So quick question, I started walking outdoors without the cane and now my middle back is tight and somewhat painful. I’m guessing it’s because I haven’t been using my core stabilizer muscles since surgery and this will get better with time.

A correct Upright Posture is really difficult to achieve right now and I have to work really hard to maintain good posture while walking. It looks like anterior pelvic tilt Maybe caused from tight hip flexors?

It feels like fatigue similar to what you’d experience after being on a 15 hour flight while trying to hold yourself upright in a chair. If that makes sense.

Also sleeping on my back seems to be making the problem worse.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I agree. My lower back seems very stiff. It's especially bad after sleeping on my back all night. I'd just love to be able to curl up the way I used to in bed. I have to remember to consciously walk more upright too.

I have the same posture problem, leaning forward. I've been told that it's a combination of tight hip flexors and over-stretched something-or-other muscles in the back.
Mine got worse as my hip deteriorated and it's really horrible now. I hope it's fixable!

I am at six weeks post op THR and so happy to report that I was able to sleep on my surgical side in my bed last night and although the outside of my hip still has some numbness and pain it really didn’t hurt and my back was feeling the relief.

I started incorporating walking on flat paved surfaces at an outdoor mall but I have to limit my walking time to about a 1/2 mile and not walk it every day. I quickly found out that walking every day like this is too much In addition to every day ambulatory activities. My step tracker is tracking about 5000 steps total per day which is up from several weeks ago.

I have experienced a lot of middle back pain which I attribute to stabilizer muscles that had not been used in several weeks and my OS commented that using a walker could also be the culprit. I have spent a lot of time laying on a heating pad and it has helped quite a bit.

Aftet my six week postop appointment with my OS I received confirmation that it is OK to do any activities that I can tolerate with no precautions. Even yoga. Yay!

I canceled all future PT appointments after going to a very pointless PT session knowing full well that I’m better off walking. It’s hard not to feel like PT is there to bill your insurance for as much as they possibly can.

What a great update. Thanks for sharing. It feels wonderful to be able to sleep on your side again if you’re a side sleeper.

You’re doing well at six weeks post op and it’s good that you‘re taking cues from your body and scaling back when necessary. Walking really is the best therapy. Glad to hear your back is doing better and that you received a nod from your surgeon to jump back into life.
Enjoy and have a nice weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Starmarie

I mostly “push“ the walker along but it’s been really handy when I need it. Sometimes I need to start the walk with my operated hip and that is difficult. When I get up in the middle of the night to pee, I really depend on the walker. Also turning around in tight spaces. I’ll keep it with me until I feel really secure. I do try to concentrate on not using it to bear my weight when I’m feeling lazy.

So question for those who have been through anterior approach THR. I’m in week 8 post-op and my outer thigh at the same height and next to my incision has numbness and pain. If I were to bang into something it would be excruciating. Is this normal? Does it go away? When? OS said it would eventually get to be a smaller and smaller area that feels this way and there will always be a small area that continues to feel some numbness.

I’m only taking Advil now. I got off the opioids because I had to go back to work and also felt I was becoming dependent on them. The opioids did block the numbness pain about 80%.

:hi: there Starmarie
Numbness can last for months, slowly shrinking over time. Wondering if “discomfort” would better describe the sensation you’re feeling, rather than pain? I’m asking because some discomfort this early into the healing process is normal considering all that happened beneath the surface. Here is an article that may give you a better perspective on the healing process.
Wishing you a good day and week! :)
@Starmarie

:hi: there Starmarie
Numbness can last for months, slowly shrinking over time. Wondering if “discomfort” would better describe the sensation you’re feeling, rather than pain? I’m asking because some discomfort this early into the healing process is normal considering all that happened beneath the surface. Here is an article that may give you a better perspective on the healing process.
Wishing you a good day and week! :)
@Starmarie
Well I think the pain I was experiencing was related to walking up a hill because now the pain has subsided to discomfort. I guess my lesson learned here is that I probably wasn’t ready to walk up the hill. My hip was sore for four days after the hill and it was not even a steep incline.

@Starmarie....Just say NO to the hilllsssss !!! :)

I'd just love to be able to curl up the way I used to in bed.

OMG, me toooo !!!! On my REALLY bad pain days when I'm having
a pity party, I sometimes tell my hubby that I'd give ANYTHING
to be able to curl up again. He always kindly replies: "welllll, if you'd
just get the surgeryyyy......" then hands me my phone with the
surgeon's office already brought up on the screen. :yes:

@Starmarie....Just say NO to the hilllsssss !!! :)

I'd just love to be able to curl up the way I used to in bed.

OMG, me toooo !!!! On my REALLY bad pain days when I'm having
a pity party, I sometimes tell my hubby that I'd give ANYTHING
to be able to curl up again. He always kindly replies: "welllll, if you'd
just get the surgeryyyy......" then hands me my phone with the
surgeon's office already brought up on the screen. :yes:
The problem is I live in hill country TX and everywhere is somewhat of an incline, even my neighborhood. I have to go walk at a mall for flat terrain.

Update…now @ 11 weeks post THR, went back to work 3 weeks ago. I still have stiffness in the hip after I’ve been sitting for awhile. I am able to do more yoga poses and it really helps the hip flexors and low back on surgery side to stretch out. I still have a lot of weakness in the surgery hip, have a bit of trouble getting up stairs, need to use the handrails when stepping up with surgery leg. The weakness kind of surprises me, but I get it, the area is traumatized. I‘ve been on an airplane with no issues other than the fact that airplane seats are evil and I’m convinced airlines are purposely trying to torture humans.

i don’t know if I’m experiencing normal healing, some days I feel I’m doing well, other days I hurt, esp if I’ve walked a lot. I’ve gotten up to 11,000 steps in one day. More pain seems to be in my feet if I stand too much and also low back doesn’t like a lot of standing, but the hip doesn’t really hurt.

Also, I’m pretty exhausted every day. I don‘t have a lot of extra energy and I feel I kind of move slowly, think slowly and kind of struggle to be at the energy level I was pre-surgery. I find myself stopping to rest and sit down a lot. I’m sure this is because still in healing stage.

Still have numbness/pain on outer thigh near the incision and the quad muscles still get very tender. This has got to get better in time, (so my OS tells me).

I’m not sure I’ll ever to back to my old hiking regimen, esp uphill, rugged terrain, which is a bummer but I like to avoid pain and also don’t want to do anything to make the good hip need to be replaced.

Anyways, just thought I’d check in with an update on recovery progress. I’m wondering how others who are in the same timeframe (around 3 months post op) are doing.

Ciao!

Hello @Starmarie Thanks for taking the time to update!
When you think about how long you’ll most likely be sportin‘ your new hip, eleven weeks is very early into the healing process. You have many months of healing and improvements to look forward to.

You did return to work a bit earlier than we recommend, but it’s understandable that twelve weeks with a phased return is not an option for everyone, nor their choice. I do think your return may be contributing to the energy drain you’re experiencing. Hopefully once home from work you’re able to rest and not do much else until you’re feeling stronger. All of your energy is going toward healing right now, not leaving a lot for anything else. Thankfully it’s only temporary.

Wondering if it’s your goal to get in 10,000+ steps daily…It is rather ambitious at this point, especially while you’re dealing with Energy Drain. Consider scaling back then slowly increasing your steps as your energy increases.

Still have numbness/pain on outer thigh near the incision and the quad muscles still get very tender. This has got to get better in time, (so my OS tells me).
Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

I do think you’ll get back to the hiking you love, but it will take time. Complete recovery can take a full year, even longer for some, I think you have good things to look forward to. Hang in there, you’re doing well.
Enjoy the rest of the week! :)

I’m not sure I’ll ever to back to my old hiking regimen, esp uphill, rugged terrain, which is a bummer but I like to avoid pain and also don’t want to do anything to make the good hip need to be replaced.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised @Starmarie. I find that uphill and rough terrain doesn't even slow me down with both TKR and THR. I'm doing hikes that would have left me in tears 10 year's ago, and had left hiking completely behind before my replacements. Hiking, while it can be strenuous doesn't put any undo pressure on your new joint, hiking shouldn't cause you to wear out the new joint.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JPL2016
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom