THR THR Previous Sepsis

Silverymoon

Country
Ireland Ireland
Eight years ago I had THR on right leg. I then had TKR on same leg three months later. I got sepsis and lost 92%function of right kidney. I'm due in October to have THR in left leg. Has anyone else contacted sepsis after hip surgery. I'm very nervous as only have one kidney left and want to keep it!I

@Silverymoon,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:
Sorry to hear you had such a rough time after your first two joint replacements.
Have you brought up your concerns with your surgeon? If so does he have a plan to address any potential complications?
You might want to consult with and infection doctor about your previous sepsis and ask them about your risk and what you can do to lower your risk of this happening again,

I am going to add Previous Sepsis to your thread title so anyone who had this experience will see it and be able to respond.
If you would like another title please post it here and a moderator will change it for you.
Thanks!

Please post your surgery dates, as close as you can remember, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the dates will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

Thank you for replying. My operation date is for 15th October. I'm going to my gp next week and going to address my concerns with him. I will email my surgeon as was a bit stunned at my visit with him as thought I'd be getting an injection not to be told it will be THR
I will also have blood tests to check on my creatinine levels etc to make sure I'm in good health for the op.

I can imagine how surprised you were, there is a huge difference between an injection and a THR.
I hope your physician will be able to answer your questions and reassure you that all will be well.

It is in fact my knee which is giving me a lot of trouble. My hip is stiff but not painful. If I sit for any length of time and get up it is hard to get going. The reason I went to doctor in first place was the knee. When xrays were done for both consultant said both were end stage arthritis. As they do the hip first and then the knee this is how I ended up being surprised. I went in thinking or rather hoping it would be a gel injection into the knee to keep me going for another while but came out with appointment for hip surgery. I am anxious about it and do have questions to ask. My main concern is sepsis. The pain I can handle but I never want to go through what I went through when my right hip and knee were done again. It took me a long time to get over it.

@silverlymoon,

Often an arthritic hip will refer pain to the knee, it may be your knee will start to feel better once your hip is replaced. Ask your surgeon about this possibility
My main concern is sepsis
This is a question for your orthopedic surgeon, physician and infection doctor.
Do they know the source of the primary infection that caused your sepsis?
Does the hospital you are going to have a sepsis team for early detection and treatment?
What type of preventative measures will be used for your surgeries?

Hello @Silverymoon
Thinking of you on the eve of your surgery. I hope you’re prepared and feeling confident in a positive outcome. Looking forward to supporting and encouraging your healing journey once you’re resting comfortably at home.
Wishing you peace and comfort as you wait.

Wishing you a successful surgery and a smooth pain controlled recovery. I hope we see you on the shiny (recovery) side when you are up to posting.

:hi: @Silverymoon
Today is one month since your surgery. Happy One Month Anniversary!
We would love to read an update on your progress over the past month, if you have time to share one. Wishing you all the best and hope to hear from you soon. :SUNsmile:

Happy New Year and Happy Three Month Anniversary too!
Hopefully you’re doing well and enjoying steady progress.
All the best! :)
@Silverymoon

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back