THR THR - Post recovery progress and issues

Mellowman

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, so newbie please be gently, 54 year old male, currently on day 10 post op THR, feel like I'm doing well so far, able to walk around fairly well and eating okay, not really on any meds nowbut leg is still sore after exercise, but my main issue is ican't sleep at night, help :), anyone else local in Essex recently had a hip done?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, so currently on day 10 post op, feel like I'm doing well so far, not really on any meds but can't sleep at night, help :)
Hi Mellowman,
I am day 5 of post op, from posterior thr.
I like you not a lot of meds; but sleep is hard at night. I have think from the restricted movement. I have started listening to meditations and Ocean music, etc. I realize not for everyone but it does seem to help.
I let you know in another 5 days.
Sleepless in Ventura.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hi Ventura, Day 5 was on meds and shattered so sleep was not an issue although did require a lot of bathroom visits, think I overdid the water intake whilst awake, hope it goes well

Same to you. You are righht watching nighttime intake of liquid a must. Was yours a posterior or anterior

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The meds really help you sleep. I had to take them for a while, but it was worth it. Even with the pain killers, there were still times I had to get up at 3:00 a.m. and ice in order to sleep. It gets better...it takes a lot of time and patience.

Welcome to BoneSmart @Mellowman ! Congratulations on that new hip.

I am afraid sleep problems are a part of this recovery. Be sure you are taking your pain meds as prescribed. At only 10 days out you are still very much in healing mode.

I'll leave your recovery articles here for you to refer to. The last article in the list addresses the sleep issues.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this:

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you for the comments and additional links , re meds not taking any unless I have any pain as don't want to be reliant on them, was only advised to take if in pain - not sure if after many years of pain I now have a high pain threshold :)

not taking any unless I have any pain as don't want to be reliant on them
You have just had major surgery. Taking your meds when you are already in pain means your post op pain is never controlled. You need your pain controlled to regain your mobility. Take your meds as prescribed around the clock until you start forgetting doses. You will not become reliant on them as you are using them for a very good reason. Read the article I left you on myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds.

Thank you, seeing my consultant tomorrow so will run both options past him, on leaving hospital I was advised only to take to manage pain relief, hence if not in pain Im not taking them....

Mellowman.
Your doing well.
Swelling, stiffness, aching, inflammation and post exercise soreness are all forms of pain. I bet if you took some meds you'd find yourself sleeping better and then able to tackle the daytime recovery. Try it for a couple of nights.
Joe....

@Mellowman you're doing great, it's still early days. The mind says go but the body says no! You may want to stop the exercises for awhile if you're experiencing soreness afterwards. Your leg has been injured, it's not weak.

Using meds early on is vital, pain relief also gives you a mental break from the pain which ruins sleep. As others stated, the trick is to medicate before you need it, otherwise you end up chasing the pain, not fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
So good meeting with consultant tody, all 35 staples removed, was impressed with progress to date, as you've mentioned he advised to not over do the exercise and take meds as required. Hear your point taking them before the pain arrives is key. Back to hospital for physio on Thursday

So the first few weeks will be challenging, you can't drive, you can't really travel any distance.... What do you do as a couple at weekends and evenings?

We are dull anyway but we rent movies, take sunny day rides, play board games...he mows the lawn and does guy stuff in the garage while I rest or clean...we both like to read and time flys

Haha, it's not dull each to their own :), we pre-op would be out most weekends, Theatre, meals pub etc... Not big TV fans either,

Lol Mellowman we use to do all that stuff but cash flow and age kind of stopped lots of that. I don't think you'll be doing some of that for a while not long but for a while...If you have friends or family near by ask them over for pizza and a movie..... Don't mix meds and booze ...lol or make them bring stuff to do... The take it easy and rest kind of stuff sucks I agree but man you're not gonna be up to some of your usual fun....Though you'll love it more when you can do it again and it won't be too long

Hello @Mellowman
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks