THR Post Op Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherryOP

Hi all,

It's 2 weeks since my THR on 12-10 and I am doing very well. The surgeons here in KC area no longer perform MIS surgeries. My new hip is ceramic and I will be on a walker for 6 weeks with 50% of my weight only on the new hip, to help the bones heal better around the new 'parts'. The Ortho surgeon told me there are 2 schools of thoughts on it, some say go ahead and walk and others like him who say take it all a little slower. I agree with his approach as it is the most logical. In our area (Kansas City), none of the surgeons perform MIS surgeries now. I have a physical therapist who comes 3 X's a week who told me this, which I thought was interesting. I was not a candidate for the MIS surgery anyway, however it was an interesting comment.

Josephine,

They did such a great job with my pain post-op. I had the epidural and then was on a morphine pca on day #2. By the 3rd day I was on oral meds. (codiene based), and I got to go home the 4th day, which was a day earlier than predicted. Compared to my rotator cuff surgery 9 years ago, this was so much easier. (Cake walk, lol)

For all who are waiting and are not sure whether you should have your THR, I say go for it. I am SO GLAD I had mine done now. I will 52 on 12-27, so I am younger than some. I now will have a better quality of life when this heals. The pain is not the same as before, as they fixed the hip. Now it's just healing from the incision, etc. which has not been too bad. (And I have a long incision, about 8").

Stairs: I have a 2 story house and do not find stairs to be painful at all. In fact nothing is painful unless I've been sitting a long time and then my muscles somtimes protest a bit.

Pre surgery advice: Do what you can to increase your upper body strength. I have always been fairly athletic and physically strong, therefore I was able to get myself around a lot easier on the walker and in general. I thought I would be completely helpless, but have not found that to be the case at all.

Merry Christmas to all, and good luck with all who have upcoming THR's. I am betting you'll be so glad you did it, in the long run.

Take care, Sherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back