THR THR on May 17th

JojoOso

Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
Hi guys. I'm scheduled to have a THR on the 26th of April. I live in Russia but I'm not Russian so it will all be through a foreign language which I'm only mediocre at. Am a smidge nervous but excited to hopefully walk with less pain again. I'm going to be annoying everyone on here for support

@JojoOso,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:
The language barrier will be challenging at times. You may want someone to help you by writing down phrases you may need.

I'm going to be annoying everyone on here for support
No worries, we are here to help.

Here is some pre op reading to help you prepare.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Hope your surgery goes well. My husband and I lived overseas for 32 years so I can relate to you being in a hospital where English is not the primary language. I came back to the USA for 1st hip surgery 3 years ago and I am back again for my 2nd hip surgery next Wednesday (21st). I remember being amazed during my first walk after the first surgery that my hip joint had zero pain (although I did have incision pain). I am hoping for another good recovery this time around.

Welcome. :wave:
I would be a bit anxious about a language barrier but you certainly should be excited to get back to a happy healthy life Hip Pain Free:yes!:

Lots of great advice and support from this forum...
From those who Know! One of my best recovery tools.

Glad to share your journey.

Hope your surgery goes well. My husband and I lived overseas for 32 years so I can relate to you being in a hospital where English is not the primary language. I came back to the USA for 1st hip surgery 3 years ago and I am back again for my 2nd hip surgery next Wednesday (21st). I remember being amazed during my first walk after the first surgery that my hip joint had zero pain (although I did have incision pain). I am hoping for another good recovery this time around.
I wish you the best of luck for your surgery. I too am looking forward to being pain free in the hip region. I've a TKR in 6 months so once that's done, I think I'll be good for a few years!
One question I've been trying to find an answer for is that of post-op footwear - I feel like crocs would be great but all the stuff from the hospitals say that they are completely inappropriate. What did you wear?

One question I've been trying to find an answer for is that of post-op footwear - I feel like crocs would be great but all the stuff from the hospitals say that they are completely inappropriate. What did you wear?
I wore flip flops which I know sounds awful. But they were special orthopedic flip flops that fit very securely and had great arch support. My leg and foot swelled up so much that I couldn't fit into most of my shoes. And it was a very hot summer so I was trying to stay cool. I did have a pair of tennis shoes, but they also fit very tightly because of the swelling. When the nurse saw how tightly they fit, she realized there was no way they would just fall off and that I wouldn't be turning my ankle with them. I am planning to wear my tennis shoes more this time around. I'm hesitant to tell you to go ahead and try the Crocs because I have never worn them. I would say whatever is comfortable and gives you stability in walking. You definitely don't want to trip and fall. I am going to work on elevating my leg more this time around and will hopefully avoid the prolonged leg/foot swelling that I had last time.

I don't know why.:scratch:
I think they would be perfect!

I wore flip flops which I know sounds awful. But they were special orthopedic flip flops that fit very securely and had great arch support. My leg and foot swelled up so much that I couldn't fit into most of my shoes. And it was a very hot summer so I was trying to stay cool. I did have a pair of tennis shoes, but they also fit very tightly because of the swelling. When the nurse saw how tightly they fit, she realized there was no way they would just fall off and that I wouldn't be turning my ankle with them. I am planning to wear my tennis shoes more this time around. I'm hesitant to tell you to go ahead and try the Crocs because I have never worn them. I would say whatever is comfortable and gives you stability in walking. You definitely don't want to trip and fall. I am going to work on elevating my leg more this time around and will hopefully avoid the prolonged leg/foot swelling that I had last time.
Thanks for the response. I went a bought a pair of easy slip-on tennis shoes that I don't need to bend over to put on with a long shoe horn. Also, I have a pair of orthopedic flip flops so I'll keep those handy. Good luck!

Oh my stars:unsure:
I'm sorry your surgery was delayed.
We will make you a May Marvel :ok:
I hate that you were all set to get this behind you but I had my surgery in May and I am biased, but I think it's a lucky month.:heehee:
And... May 11 is my sister's birthday...a very good day.

Just a few more weeks, my friend... Hang on.

Which hip are you having replaced @JojoOso ?
I'm going to also chance your thread title to reflect the new date.
Hugs of comfort for the longer wait...:friends:

Which hip are you having replaced @JojoOso ?
I'm going to also chance your thread title to reflect the new date.
Hugs of comfort for the longer wait...:friends:
I'm having the left one done. And thanks! I bought a cane yesterday and thought I would try not to use it until I absolutely have to but I have to say it makes life so much easier, plus people act a little more cautiously around me so that helps too.

For footwear I was told no open back and no sandals. I was fine with that and used tennis sneakers with elastic laces and slip on walking shoes. Long shoe horn and I was good to go. It's just one less thing to go wrong and you don't want to have a mis-step especially in recovery.

For footwear I was told no open back and no sandals. I was fine with that and used tennis sneakers with elastic laces and slip on walking shoes. Long shoe horn and I was good to go. It's just one less thing to go wrong and you don't want to have a mis-step especially in recovery.
Yeah I agree. About 2 months ago I sprained my ankle badly so I definitely don't want to do anything like that again. Thanks for your input.

Oh my stars:unsure:
I'm sorry your surgery was delayed.
We will make you a May Marvel :ok:
I hate that you were all set to get this behind you but I had my surgery in May and I am biased, but I think it's a lucky month.:heehee:
And... May 11 is my sister's birthday...a very good day.

Just a few more weeks, my friend... Hang on.
You'll never believe it - they've just called and rescheduled it again - now it's May 17th (do you have any friends with this birthday :heehee:???) But it's fine, the doctor will be back from vacation so I'm hoping he'll be as fresh as a daisy and doing his best work!

I'm sorry they keep messing you about with dates, @JojoOso . I've changed the date in your signature and in the May Marvels.
Best wishes.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks