THR on 10 May

Pj1961

Country
Australia Australia
Having my right hip replacement on 10 May after having left one replaced in August 2018. It's not as painful as the first one despite walking like a duck. I'm more nervous about the idea of having both hips replaced than I was about having the first. Any suggestions?

My suggestion is to stop being nervous.

You know what the surgery and recovery are like, do we already know that you can handle it.

There are plenty of people here who've had both hips replaced, and they all seem pretty happy with the outcome.

You have nothing to lose but pain!

I agree with @59billy there are several double hippies on here that can comment on their 2nd surgery. You already know the drill from your first one last year. My only regret was waiting too long (5 years) to get my second hip. Recovery is so much easier if you do it early before you're limp gets really bad. Plenty of support here on the forum and plenty of info to read about any concerns and recovery. Wishing you well on the surgery, you'll be so happy/relieved when it's done! :flwrysmile:

Hi @Pj1961
I’m 5 weeks out from my 2nd THR and it has been much easier than the first 6 years ago... why? I think I knew to expect that the first 7-10 days would be uncomfortable ... It would be stiff & that sleep would be elusive.
Also by day 4/5 I would be thinking ‘oh dear i’ve gone & done it again’ when the anxiety & blues set in. But I knew this time that I wasn’t going to dislocate my hip every time I moved & that I would be able to stand & use the hip straight away... I wasn’t scared of it..I also knew from Bonesmart that I didn’t have to walk like a Ninja to heal my hip or overdo the PT.

My first recovery was very slow because I continually overdid things until I found Bonesmart but this time Ive been out & about enjoying things but not overdoing it... do a bit, rest a lot!

Good luck for 10th May ... I didn’t give myself permission to worry until the morning of the op.. kept busy & enjoyed some pre op times out with friends. xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing you can bear in mind is that physiologically, there is very little difference between excitement and anxiety! So if you would translate your 'anxiety' into excitement about getting your new hip done, you'll be home and dry!

Just think, soon you will have no pain in either side. It is always worrisome to be waiting for surgery and hurting but as you know from your other hip- you will get to the other side.

Hi and :welome:
New double hippy in the house this week.
Hope all goes smoothly.
Will look for you on the healing side!:tada:

Three more days and the nasty pain will be gone. Replaced by a new pain temporarily. A pain that I found bearable and much less aggravating. Ice like mad and take your meds on schedule and I'll bet you make it through with flying colors!
Wishing you comfort as you wait.
@Pj1961

Thank you for the lovely messages of support. I go into hospital tomorrow afternoon in preparation for surgery on the 10th - I'm first on the list. As I've stopped taking the anti-inflammatories, I'm more sure that having the second replacement was the right decision. Fingers crossed that it's a good outcome!!

Sounds like you are truly on your way @Pj1961 ! All the best on Friday. See you on the other side soon!

PS: Being first up the day of surgery is the best position. No waiting around all day and you will be done and dusted in time to enjoy lunch.

All the best for 10th... it will be over before you know it & starting your recovery [emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woo hoo -- Friday!! Sounds like everything is on track for a successful procedure. :loveshwr:

All set to go! Nervousness and excitement is so normal, more so, in my opinion, once you have had that first surgery. A bit like having a second baby! I've had both my hips done, twice, and I just love them.

Awesome! Your surgery is here! I’ll be thinking about you! Keep us updated!

How wonderful that the day is almost here and soon you will be pain free.

Good luck tomorrow and hopefully prep today isn't too annoying.
:SUNsmile:

Best wishes for tomorrow. Soon phase 1 will be behind you and you can concentrate on the future....

Best wishes for a successful and uneventful surgery and recovery

Thinking of you as you get ready for tomorrow! Look forward to "seeing" you after.

Best wishes for tomorrow. It will soon be all over and you can concentrate on healing.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads