BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

THR in Oregon - have high BMI

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by lkb1755, Apr 19, 2018.

1. lkb1755

lkb1755 new member

United States United States
    I live in Oregon and I am looking for an Orthopedist who will do hip replacement. My BMI is over 40. I do exercise at least 3 or 4 days a week, and I am eating fairly healthy. I have been unable to lose weight. I am on pain medication, and it seems like most dr's would rather me be on pain meds than to do the surgery. I have been on pain meds for many years.

I currently use a walker and a mobility scooter. I am so tired of being in pain and being told to lose weight. I am doing what I can, but the pain is getting so bad. I am tired of being on pain meds that really are not helping a lot. Is there anyone that can recommend an Orthopedist in Oregon or Washington?

I have grandkids and I get down on the floor and play all of the time, but I am in so much pain. Any suggestions at all?

2. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@ikb1755,
    Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your post op thread.
    If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

3. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

BMI Calculator - What To Do Told You're Too Heavy for Joint Replacement Surgery
    Your function and pain should determine whether you need a joint replacement, not your weight.
    Be sure to fill out the score chart, for you, and for your Doctor so they can see just how limited your life has become.

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
    Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing hip recoveries

4. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @lkb1755 I changed your thread title slightly so that our members in Oregon and surrounds can reply to you. I do hope you find a surgeon who can help you. It is impossible to lose weight when you do not have full mobility and are in pain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. djklaugh

djklaugh post-grad

@lkb1755 Welcome to Bonesmart! I wish I could help you - I'm in Portland also but my bilateral hip replacement surgery 6.5 years ago was done through Kaiser and as you probably know they only take patients who are insured with Kaiser. I'd suggest starting with your primary care doctor and also contact your insurance provider.

Ask insurance folks what is needed to see an orthopedic surgeon - do you need a referral from primary care? Is there a preferred provider list? Do they have any info on what out of pocket expenses there might be for this surgery?

Ask your primary doctor something along the lines of "If you or a family member needed hip replacement and were overweight as I am, who would you want to do that surgery?" Also if it has not already been done recently, insist primary MD get xrays of your hips! That will show clearly how bad they really are and will go along way to proving to any and all docs that you are truly in need of hip replacement.

There are quite a number of orthopedic surgeons in Portland - I sincerely hope you can find a really good one! You might also try the "find a clinic" button at the top of the BoneSmart pages :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I suggest you shop around a bit more because 40 is actually nothing. There are surgeons who aren't so picky about BMI numbers. My sister's BMI was 44 when she had her hips done.

7. Poodles

Poodles member

@lkb1755 I wrote you a Private Message with a suggestion that may be the answer. :)