BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

THR in 2 weeks need dental work

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by BrendaB., Sep 21, 2017.

1. BrendaB.

BrendaB.

United States United States
    Hi guys! I am looking for any helpful advice I can get. I am having a THR on October 6th. My problem is that a few months ago I have had to have a lot of dental work done, (extractions, and root canal). I was getting so many abscesses that I have been on Amoxicillin more times than I can count. I thought I prepared ahead.

Well now it's a few weeks before my surgery and I am having toothaches and progressing pain where I had dental work done and a previous root canal years ago. So I desperately now need MORE dental work. To explain some of my "situation" here goes..... I have Kaiser and I could write a book on the hell I have had to, and still have to, go through with them. For THREE YEARS they delayed my THR surgery but FINALLY they scheduled it only after I threatened to sue them.

I am in so much pain with my hip I can't take anymore delays. So here is my dilemma - should I chance it and get dental work done now? I know I shouldn't have any dental work done right before surgery.

I don't want to risk an infection travelling to my hip obviously, but if I tell my doctor I know he will delay or cancel my surgery and I literally can't wait any longer. I have been reading so many different comments and opinions that I feel overwhelmed!

Any help, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks! Brenda

2. Horseshoe

Horseshoe

United States United States
    Hi @BrendaB. congrats on the thr date! A forum moderator will soon stop by and assist you.

I had some dental work done the week before my thr, cleared it with OS first, he said it was fine.

Btw, a work colleague had a hard time with Kaiser too. She needed a thr in her late forties and they wanted her to wait until she was at least sixty! She ended up switching insurance co's, found a new OS and had a thr soon after. I heard they have a good joint program. Glad your perseverance worked out for you and best wishes.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  3. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Quite clearly, you don't have a choice - you have to tell him and you don't know that at all, that he'll cancel it. My feeling is that he would much sooner you had the dental abscess seen to now rather than undergo the hip surgery with it active.
    That's very old thinking because it really doesn't work like that. Here's some read for you
    Peri-prosthetic infection - also known as late onset infection
    Periprosthetic infection: Mayo Clinic study shows that dental procedures are not a risk factor