THR THR done on right hip, on to recovery!

Sounds like it's all going well. Glad you stood up and opted out of PT, unfortunately many have similar experiences and keep going thinking "they know best". I would use ice after long walks and it made it a lot better as far as any swelling.
The fact that your OS didn't question at all when you stopped PT says a lot about healthcare. It seems they are pushed by the corporate part of healthcare to send people to PT no matter the outcome as it's profitable.

@Eman85 - I took your advice this morning of icing after just finished walking for 30 minutes inside the house; it feels really good :ice:. I also agree 100% with these healthcare decisions being driven by profits.

By being part of this wonderful community, I have access to resources and first hand information that guided me to make the decision of stopping PT. Many other folks out there that are going through similar situations just continue to plow through the pain, never realizing they might be doing themselves more harm than good.

It was a while back a PT was on here saying they were going for a THR. I never saw any follow up, I would have liked to known their take on it post-op and if their methods changed.

Hello,
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hopefully all is going well for you as you continue healing. We’d love to read an update if you have time to share one.
Have a wonderful Autumn! :)
@boricuaterp

Hi @Layla and the rest of the BoneSmart community!,

After having a bad accident, had surgery to try and fix that, and then had the hip replacement surgery 3 1/2 months after that, all that in a span of a little over 6 months, I think that I am doing as well as I could. I went back to work earlier than what is recommended by folks here (8 weeks after the hip replacement surgery). I could’ve used the extra 4 weeks, but it is ok, at least my job is sedentary.

The other day I went with my family to a farm for a pumpkin patch. I have not used any support to walk since week 4 or so. My wife kept telling me to bring the cane with me, just in case. I did take with me in the end, just to keep her calm. Once we got to the farm, we noticed that the terrain was very hilly and uneven, and guess what, I didn’t use the cane that my wife insisted on bringing with me, I left it in the car. I paid the price for trying to be all macho and not listening to her!

I still have tightness, and my leg is still swollen (I feel it all the way down to my foot) but I’m able to walk without a limp, and the swelling is subsiding gradually. I try to avoid walking uphill (I go to a local high school track to do most of my walking for exercise). I have a little bit of difficulty raising my leg to get in the car, but it’s improving little by little every day. There are days that I barely feel any discomfort, and there are other days that I reach for the Advil/Tylenol/Ice combo and the pillow to elevate my leg.

I guess that after all the trauma that I’ve been through, time and patience are going to be my best friends!

Hi @boricuaterp
Yes, time and patience is key. You’ve been through a lot in only a little over six months.
I‘m sorry you’re going through a rough patch after visiting the pumpkin patch and navigating the uneven terrain. Try icing and some elevation when you’re able. I believe devoting some time to both each evening, or whenever you’re able, will help with the swelling which in turn may also allow you to raise your leg with greater ease as you get into the car.
I didn’t use the cane that my wife insisted on bringing with me, I left it in the car. I paid the price for trying to be all macho and not listening to her!
Should have listened to your bride. :wink: After all, women always know what’s best, right? :heehee:
Kidding aside, I wish you speedy relief and a good week! Thanks for sharing an update.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TATTVASPA800000
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom