THR Delayed - I’m So Sad

cslasor

Country
United States United States
After having 2 TKRs in the last 14 months and still having a great deal of pain from the first one, I was informed that my hip pain couldn’t be helped with a steroid shot because the cartilage was completely gone and I needed a THR. That was a little depressing to hear but I’m hopeful that fixing the hip will enable me to walk and exercise properly and finally work out the knee pain.

At the time of my diagnosis I only had about 2 months left before retiring so rather than spending part of that time on short term disability I decided to put off the surgery until January 4. That meant going about 3 months and through the holidays while putting up with the pain but it seemed the best solution. All this time I’ve been clinging to January 4 as the date I can finally get started on the road to a long-awaited recovery.

Then, 2 weeks before the planned surgery, I got a call from the doctor’s office who said they can’t schedule the surgery because I don’t show as having active insurance. Apparently it takes longer for the paperwork for Cobra to get processed than I thought. I’m covered retroactively to my last day of employment, and any medical bills I incur in the meantime would be reimbursed, but until the paperwork is all done the insurance company shows me as not having insurance and the hospital won’t schedule the surgery. So now my surgery is on hold until it gets straightened out. I don’t blame the hospital - I wouldn’t want to schedule it either with no guarantee of getting paid. And I have to say I had a vague fear in the back of my mind all this time that insurance might be a problem so it’s not a total surprise, but it’s still very disappointing to know I have to continue to put up with this for an unknown amount of time.

...sigh... ok, I’m done whining. Thanks for listening. I do realize I have a great life and so many people are so much worse off than me, but sometimes the constant pain and lack of sleep just wears me down. Thank goodness for BS!

@cslasor this is just the pits! So sorry you are suffering from all this red tape! Such a bad time of year. No one will be around to call and get things moving. I guess all you can do is get on the phone on the next working day and stay on until you get this sorted. Hang in there!

Sorry for the delay @cslasor. Insurance can be horrible to work through. My os office let me know I need to pay my co-pay prior to surgery-no doubt because of people not paying medical bills. Luckily I have a flex spending account that will cover it and am fortunate to have means otherwise. It’s getting tough for others. Hopefully the delay won’t be too long (I’m getting my second hip done prior to retirement). Congrats on retirement-at least you can heal without pressure to get back to work!

The waiting is the worst. I know too well. The pain started in Feb 2015, (and it is almost 2018..) and I have no date as of yet. Maybe spring they tell me.
You WILL get through this.

Aww, @cslasor "I'm So Sad" for you!!
Having a scheduled surgery date, looking forward to losing the pain...only to have your hopes dashed
is disappointing. I hope you're able to hold on until all the insurance biz is ironed out.
Hopefully soon you'll have surgery behind you enjoying retirement and 2018 without pain!
Hang in there.....it's coming.
Sending a hug and warm wishes for a very :merry christmas:

I am so very sad for you. Even though I have a scheduled date in January, I worry something else will cause a delay (getting a cold? Flu?), my surgeon getting sick (she has little kids). So many variables. My first date was November 14 and insurance nixed that and insisted on an MRI. I had an MRI. The MRI showed a mass around my ovaries, which then led me to get an emergency ultrasound and an emergency consultation with a GYN who then scheduled blood tests. All was fine in the gyn department and she okay'd me. By then the schedule was out to the end of December.

My second scheduled date was December 26th and insurance nixed that one too, as it was going to be day surgery. Now I am scheduled for an overnight stay in the hospital and I feel fairly certain it will be the 19th of January or earlier. The scheduler will put me in on an earlier Friday if someone cancels. I am pulling for you! I understand the frustration!

Goodness, @Poodles, you've had a bad time of it! I'm glad the ovarian mass was not a problem - that's a scary one!

Thanks everybody for the encouragement. This too shall pass...... However, no matter how late this surgery gets postponed, I absolutely refuse to cancel my plans to go to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Glacier NP in late August. I've cancelled that trip twice over the last few years and I WILL go this time - even if we have to take a wheelchair. I'm done with putting my life on hold while waiting to get better. I didn't retire so I could sit around staring at the walls! :) :-) (:

@cslasor I'm sure you will be motoring right along by August. I had my left one done in July of 2016 and was on a plane flying across the country (from Central Oregon) to Philadelphia for a week-long meeting, 6 weeks later! My surgeon gave me no restrictions and left it up to me after releasing me back to work. I won't say it was the wisest decision I ever made, but honestly, I was fine. What I didn't have once I got to the motel (it was in small town an hour outside of Philadelphia) was a place to walk, either with a sidewalk or walking path, or a treadmill. I had been assured of that by our organizer and it didn't happen and it set me back. The worst was sitting in meetings all day.

My husband and I bought a motorhome just after my first THR and we are looking forward to traveling with the Poodles this Spring, Summer, and Fall. I'm just upset about using my Paid Time Off for surgery instead of a great vacation! Thankfully I can work from home as I know I won't be driving my normal 28 miles to work in the snow anytime soon.

Merry Christmas!!!! I hope you get an answer very quickly and will watch for you to post a firm date!

@cslasor so sorry you've got this worry hanging over you....worrying about medical insurance for the op is just about the last straw isn't it? My husband was made redundant 3 mths ago, so we now have to pay a considerable amount of money out of savings to keep our private insurance going, so the further away my op is the more likely we will have run out of insurance :bawl:. If I have to have it done on the public system there's no guarantee I'll even get on the W/L let alone anywhere near the top of it, so maybe I ought to be serving up bread and water to everyone this Christmas and tell them it's their contribution to my hip :heehee:

So sorry to hear about the delay I have been rescheduled twice now I know how you feel but I do believe things happen for a reason . I am sure the waiting will soon be over best wishes.

@sequin98 I know that feeling my issue has been going in since 2015 coming into 2018 and still no one has agreed to operate.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed this year will be different.

@cslasor I can' imagine how upsetting that must be to have a date then find its delayed. Makes me realise how lucky we are in the UK not to have the restraints you have due to your insurance.
Good for you not putting your trip on hold again, I'm sure you can do it one way or another.
@anny I like your style giving everyone bread and water as they contribute to your surgery hope your husband gets a new job soon

"hope your husband gets a new job soon" - thank you @Nicknoc , so do.....he's got far too many views on how to do the housework 'better' :skep:

I hope the new year will bring you better success in getting an op...and that you won't have to wait too much longer for it. I don't understand this ageism thing really, as you would think that financially it would be cheaper to replace a joint immediately than keep its owner on meds for xyears in the hope that it won't have to be revised later on....just in terms of benefits and medical costs for further conditions caused by the immobility and pain, let alone the quality of life you should be having at such a young age. Talk about the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff.....:shrug: But, as Josephine said, this seems to becoming all too common, not only in the NHS but also out here....the public w/ls are horrendous (if they will put you on it in the first place) so people try to afford private insurance but even then it's usually a 3 or 4 month wait. Hoping you'll find a kind and understanding consultant, still full of the Christmas spirit :) :-) (:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom