THR cost by numbers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far California is at the top for expensive. Of course of the $94,000. my insurance disallows like $80,000.
My share is going to be $700.00 or less. My bill from the surgeon's office was for $10.00 so far.
Judy

Dalton (just a thought) I'm wondering if maybe your insurance works the same way as mine.
Make sure the hospital submits everything to your insurance company. They had a separate bill of $646.00 they had failed to bill to the insurance. The hospital was trying to force me to pay it after I called Blue cross/Blue Shield the hospital got that corrected immediately.

Deborah

Hey Deb, I still haven't gotten a bill from anyone yet, and I paid the $300 deductible, but I'm sure more are coming. I was led to believe that I'd be due for about 10% of the total, and if so, that's fine... $3,000 isn't too terribly bad, but I'd prefer NONE! Wouldn't we all though... there's no way in Hades that I could have paid the full amount. Thanks for your add, and I can't remember seeing you before, so WELCOME to our great site! (Wow, I just called it "our" site; I guess I feel at home here, from all the warm replies from Judy, Patty, Jo, and a bunch of others. I just noticed I went over 100 posts, so now I'm a "Senior Member!" And it only took about 2 weeks! LOL

~Dalton

Dalton, You are still a babe in our minds....

LOL! Thanks Patty... I sure wish you guys would post some pics of your own too!!! Yeah, I've never been one to be too "short winded", so I made my '100' posts, and 'Senior Member' status in just over 3 weeks... sometimes I say too much, but I love to share my views, help others when able, etc., so I'm not suprised. Unfortunately, once I'm more mobile and feeling 'Tops' again, I'm sure I'll slack off and not be seen or heard here too often... I WILL try to visit occasionally, so I can help those just getting out of surgery, but I must say, YOU, Judy, and Josephine have been a Godsend in my recovery... (there's a couple more too, but you 3 are by far the most prolific, and memorable to me... I'm not there yet though, so I'll be posting another few dozen times before I fade off... LOL

~D.

Hey Dalton,
I promise to get some help posting pictures soon!!
You are sure not boring me, I enjoy every post and picture.
You guys have helped me more than I can ever tell you.
I hope to stay pretty current for a while longer to help any new people as I was helped so much.
Of course I do not have a job to go back to!!!
Judy

That's OK Judy, You and Patty and Jo have done the same for me... As far as having a job waiting, You have your Family and your Life, and that's more than any of us could ask for! I'm sure you'll find a new job when you're ready too; ignore the naysayers, be happy you're healing well!

~D.

Hi Dalton
I am glad I do not have a job waiting in one way. I was thinking about taking a year off and getting my 2 youngest serious about education again. They really slacked off since getting to California!!

Back to the thread, I got my share of the hospital bill today. It is $734.00. The insurance paid $14,000 of the $94,000.
I did get a $10.00 bill from my surgeon. Last will be the anesthesiologist.

Judy

Hey Judy,

$734.00 sounds great; better than I'll have to pay, I think. I hope it's not the $3K or more that I expect...

~D.

Now that would be telling

(Acutally, I treat them just like photos)

It sounds like the hips are going to be a bargain, comparatively. ;)
I just got the itemization for my DVT. The two little stents (think little pieces of lined braided metal hose) cost $10,000.00 each! I don't know how they get away with this. There is no way it costs them any where near that to manufacture them - unless they are made by hand by the Fair Folk!
I am not ungrateful for the care received but the total was over $72,000.00 for a blood clot.

Does this mean I should up my life insurance.? - just kidding

Donna

Wow Donna!

$10K for each stent??? American health care costs are atrocious! (My THR implants cost about $9K, but I can see that cost just a LITTLE better...since it's so much larger. The flipside is, my implant wasn't to correct a life threatening malady, and your stents WERE!) I feel so badly for any U.S. citizen who doesn't have good insurance. Then again, we're ALL (gainfully employed U.S. citizens) paying the cost for folks who don't, won't, or can't pay when they go to the local ER, (by exhorbitant premiums and deductibles). This includes the millions of illegal aliens that grow by the hundreds, or thousands, each year. (I know that may be a touchy subject to some; if my statement offends, I apologize, but that's the simple truth). I'm NOT saying we should deny the illegals, or citizens who choose NOT to work for a living, "life saving health care", that would be quite unethical, but the cost is NOT just written off; we ALL absorb it). Sometimes I wonder if we wouldn't be better off with Socialized Health Care... I don't have all the facts, but it seems to me that there's got to be a better way, when 2 little braided metal hoses cost $20,000 dollars, and so many people who work hard all their lives have to lose almost everything when they get sick. That's just insane...

Oh well, I'm done venting...
~Dalton

~D.

That would seem to be an equitable price for such an item, actually. They are difficult to make, many steps need skilled workers working with a microscope. Quality control takes place several times throughout manufacture and specs are rigorous. As you say, Dalton, people depend upon these little gismos for their lives so they can't be a micron off anywhere and they have to be 100% reliable. Plus the materials are akin to precious metals.

Same thing (in larger respects) with TKR and THR. The ones made of Titanium, cobolt chrome and ceramic are akin to platinum and gold in value. I have a candle holder made of Titanium given me by a firm when I visited their factory. It has approximately the same market value as gold!

Didn't think of it quite like that Jo, since you put it that way... agreed. Yet, some of the charges for little things like toothbrushes and plants, well... I will definitely say the care I received was top notch. I just feel sorry for folks who don't have proper insurance... One sudden illness or injury, and they're in debt for life. I suppose it's better than the alternative though...

~D.

I have one or two friends who have been put into bankruptcy by medical bills. One lovely young chap has a wife who has a serious long term illness which has meant several major surgeries each with periods in intensive care, plus almost daily medical treatment and visits to the ER on a weekly (minimum) basis. Their insurance company bailed out on them a few months ago leaving them with no cover at all. Just as well they are strong in their faith - what they have been through would have brought many down and out.

Such is LIFE, I suppose Jo... I too know a couple good souls who're in almost the same boat. One is a fellow Deputy who shattered his entire femur and tib/fib with tortion fractures when he was attacked by an assailant whom he was trying to apprehend. He endured 18 months of many surgeries, rehab, and now, after all that work, due to infection, he may lose the entire leg, and he's 10 years younger than me... What a shame, but, what can you do, but love one another, and drive on another day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom