THR coming up too fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holly100

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

Hubby goes in on 18th Dec for a left THR and all being well should be home for Christmas. Been a long process with lots of incorrect information given out. But thanks to your site we are now happily looking forward to the op and hubby been pain free soon.

Hope things go smoothly and I'm glad BoneSmart has helped you prepare for the surgery.

@Holly100 Welcome to BoneSmart! We will be with you and hubby all the way. Give a shout if you have any questions or concerns.

@Holly100 - that's great news. Stick close to Bonesmart. You've got lots of friends to support you and your husband. If you're going to run his thread then it would be good to pop his surgery details into your signature (like mine below) so we're reminded whenever you post. New hip. New year. A lot to look forward to.

Hi

Just a quick question to you all, how long should he take to recovery?
He is a very fit 50 yr old and works outside on a golf course. He currently walks about 20 to 40 miles a day.
I know he will be home around day three but have been told it could be day 2 if he does really well. Is this normal? And how much walking should he be doing after his op each day? Is there a set plan or is it just wait and see how much pain he has.

I know that he is having corail pinnacle, ceramic head on a highly crossed linked polyemlene.

Any help welcomed

Just a quick question to you all, how long should he take to recovery?
This is kind of like the question "how long is a piece of string". Recovery is different for everyone and every THR is different even on the same patient. He may be walking great distances now but he will need to slow down and listen to that new hip. I'll give you a bit of reading. The articles on How Long Does Healing Take, Chart on recovery and activity progression will probably give you an idea of the time frame.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
I know that he is having corail pinnacle, ceramic head on a highly crossed linked polyemlene.
Have this one also (right hip). Good choice for an active patient so I am told.

:santawave: hi Holly 100 just wanted to stop by and send good vibes and well wishes for your husbands surgery. You're going to have alot of support and helpful info from all of our kind supportive hippie community.:reindeerlights::merry christmas: take care and have a blessed day.:prayer:

Best wishes to your husband for the 18th @Holly100 - his incredible fitness with all that walking will definitely help him through recovery. (He must have been in agony walking those distances for work with OA!) And walking is seen here as the best exercise post-surgery - just start very slowly. His body will dictate in no uncertain terms what it can handle. Always err on the side of caution and baby that new hip as much as you can!

Hi All,

Thank you all for your lovely words of support.

Just got Hubby to read the reading list above to give him some in sight for Sunday.
I think the frist week will just be chair rest and small walks to toilet and back etc then with xmas its good time to sit and rest. Will try and get him to start to increase the walking in week two. The phsico have not been much help when we spoke to them today, when he had to have the finale blood test. Information was again not suitable for someone his age.

Thanks to your fab site as it has re assured him that he will be back up and doing things again for himself.

Cheers, see you all Sunday afternoon the otherside :)

Will try and get him to start to increase the walking in week two.
No need to push him to do anything. Listen to that new hip. It will tell your husband how far to go. There is no set time to increase walking, etc. For the first few weeks, rest, ice, elevate and meds. Other activities will follow when he is ready.

:welome:Hi just to say good luck we will all be thinking of you. Looking forward to your posts on the other side on Sunday. This site is fab and the people are great. Any worries no matter how small just ask I'm sure someone will have experienced it.

I have a 62 year old friend who had his op last March. He's been a fit and active farmer al his life, although the family now live in town and he works for a disability group. His main priorities were to get fit enough to go skiing and horse riding. He was able to go skiing in our winter - July- he regularly hikes and climbs mountains, has hardly any limp and is back in the saddle. One very happy man who wanted his hip replacement 'early' while he was still active :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom