THR THR at 43

SnowyOwl

Country
United States United States
I am scheduled for a THR at HSS on February 17. Looking forward to getting rid of the pain and enjoy the outdoors with my family again.

@SnowyOwl
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:
You will notice I have added your surgery date to your signature, and you have been added to the February Valentines monthly team thread. You will be able to find other members having a THR around the same time as yours.
Wishing you all the best for your upcoming surgery.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

:welome:To BoneSmart @SnowyOwl! :flwrysmile: You will find lots of good information, advise, and support from those that have "been there done that". With members all over the world there is almost always someone that can get back to you within a fairly short time frame to answer questions. Stop by often for advise, support, somewhere to vent, or a shoulder to cry on.

Congrats. Who's your surgeon at HSS? There are so many excellent surgeons there.

I am with Dr Rodriguez.

It took me a long time to accept that my severe arthritis wasn’t going anywhere. Dr Rodriguez helped me get a reality check, all with kindness and compassion.

Sending healing blessings your way. Get the house ready lots of food ready prepared in freezer. Put everything up because bending is not easy the first few weeks. Have clothing that is easy on and off. Bath stool and risers in place. Keep height on chairs high not to low. There is a lot of things to prepare for to make recovery easier. Take your time just let you hip heal. 3-6 months you’ll be out walking thru life as if you never had osteo.

I've heard great things about Dr. Rodriguez. He's one of the top anterior approach surgeons, I sense.
Good luck!!!!!

Yes, it can be difficult to accept that we have serious arthritis before 70. Can be difficult for people 70 as well. Sounds like you have a great bond with the surgeon. That's important.

Thank you all for your advices and warm wishes! I am so grateful I found such a great support group!

Hi @SnowyOwl
Welcome to Bonesmart and I'm glad you will soon be back on the road to healthy and happy with a pain free hip.:happydance:
All Temporary became my mantra for the first months and I am very happy I found Bonesmart to get some great advice and assurance during my recovery.
Healing mojo coming your way in advance.:tada:

HSS is great I had outpatient Anterior hip replacement December 15 2020. You will be well cared for. They have all aspects of the surgery down to a science. I am 49 had hip issues since like 38, no fun.

Good luck

Larry

Thank you Larry, so glad to hear this!

Hi Snowy!!
My surgery date is tomorrow Feb 17 as well for a LTHR. Mine is going to be posterior and supposedly outpatient. Good luck to us both and see you on the other side!

How are you both doing?
I’m only 51 having to have my THR on 3/8. I’m anxious to hear how you both feel? Prayers for quick healing!

How are you both doing?
I’m only 51 having to have my THR on 3/8. I’m anxious to hear how you both feel? Prayers for quick healing!
Wishing you good luck for tomorrow @Phoenix1! I will be thinking of you and wish you the best!

How are you both doing?

Hi! I’m having surgery this month too...I just wanted to say “hello” and I hope your surgery went well today!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562