THR THR & Antibotics

skye_56

Country
United States United States
I was just reading over the paperwork and it says I have to take antibiotics for the rest of my life when I go to the dentist (even teeth cleaning) or have any minor or major surgery or tests to avoid infection.

Is that correct (although nothing I can about it)?

@sky_56, I moved your post from the hip recovery forum to the pre-op area.

In joint class they said it's up to the surgeon. Some require it for two years, some for life, some not at all. I asked my dentist about it during a cleaning and they said pretty much the same thing.

Me personally, I'd want them for the first few years. I understand the superbug reasoning behind limiting antibiotics but dental procedures introduce loads of bacteria right into your blood stream.

My surgeon said for the rest of my life, but I decided to compromise and take antibiotics for dental appointments only for the first two years. But that's just me, and I don't want to give medical advice. I think I read that antibiotics would be recommended for dental procedures if you have diabetes or immune deficiency.

My surgeon advised for life and I'm okay with that. It is a small inconvenience to prevent a major issue. The risk/reward is well worth it from my perspective.
I'll buy more into the preventing resistance argument when they regulate antibiotics in our food supply...
Just one persons opinion...

I also asked a friend of mine who has had 1 hip and both his knees done and he said his Dr recommended for 3 months.

On the list to ask!

It's an interesting article, published in 2016, but it does not mention the statement issued jointly by the AAOS and the ADA, which concludes that, except in some circumstances, prophylactic antibiotics are not necessary for dental work.

MY surgeon recommended taking antibiotics but my dentist was adamant they are not necessary. I took them for the first 2 years post-op, but I haven't taken them since then. My TKRs are 8 and 4.5 years old now and I have had no problems with infection after dental treatments..

It seems each OS has different protocol. Mine is 2yrs with the antibiotics and I am OK with that. Studies go back and forth as much as I believe in science but I always also like the middle of the road path and 2 years to take antibiotics for cleanings and any possible dental work does not seem to be much to be bothered about. Again, just my opinion.

I would recommend you follow the advice from your surgeon and dentist as they have access to your full medical history. You may want to have a discussion with the surgeon so he can explain the pros and cons.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie