THR THR after failed femoral neck fracture pinning

Hello! The sleep issue is real! I swear that I still struggle with it at 7.5 months.. it has me in a pattern of staying up later than I should and then I struggle in the mornings.. of course that is my nature anyway. so maybe I can't blame it all on my post op nocturnal happenings. :heehee:

Hopefully you have tiptoed back away from the ODIC and are feeling a bit better today.

@leejaa @Fit4Family @BruceH @Layla @CricketHip
Thank you all for your words of advice regarding insomnia and itching!! @Layla Thanks for the tip about Magnesium. I bought a bottle and take it now before bed with Benadryl and my sleep issues have improved a lot.
It has been a week since my last report and I am feeling overall good. Except for yesterday when I had a long walk through hospital with cane to see the surgical NP for a follow up appt, I have been taking it easy. This week I am using the cane more and going for 10 min walks outside. It seems my lower back starts to hurt if I walk any distance with the cane, probably because my gait is still really bad. I start outpatient PT next week.
This week I started driving which is a huge milestone. My PT gave me the okay because my left (not R) hip was replaced. It feels so great to drive again!!
One concern that has bothered me for several weeks is the pink irritated looking skin around parts of my incision. My PT was concerned enough to call my surgeon about it on Friday Feb 7. She took photos every time she saw me. By Monday it looked better, probably because I stopped scratching the area which was very itchy. Then on Feb 14 I had my first follow up with the surgical NP. She noticed the pinkness too. She thought it might be a reaction to surgical glue and asked me to monitor the area and see her in two weeks. My PT recommended I apply some hydrocortisone cream without touching the incision itself. It helped a little but not enough and I kept worrying that this pink irritated skin could be sign of infection. So yesterday I went back to hospital and saw NP again. She thought the skin looked better than last week but ordered blood work to rule out infection. It was nerve wrecking to wait for results. Thank goodness I got to talk to the surgeons admin today and the blood results are fine. No infection!
My worrying about all this is the reason I went silent this past week on BoneSmart. Was feeling sad and stressed but now look forward to a nice weekend!
Wishing everyone great sleep and a fun weekend! So nice to see crocus blooming in my yard!

Sounds like you're doing well overall. If walking with the cane is causing you pain your body might be telling you it's not ready to quit using the walker yet. Whatever you use try to really concentrate on heal-toe walking and maybe take smaller steps. We sometimes forget that we just can't jump back in walking out normal stride until we heel up a bit.

Great news about the blood work coming back with no signs of infection. You know if you're worrying about something you don't have to stay away, we're here to support you through this journey. :console2:

@FCBayern @Elf1
Thanks! Yes I should have commented earlier about my infection worries on this board because you all provide so much support! Not one to communicate when I am down but will be more open from now on.
@Elf1– Thanks for reminder about heel-toe walking! Forgot that important part of recovery. Will save my aching back

Great news about the clean report on no infection.. I'm sure you were very worried and down about waiting to hear!
I get it about going quiet, I tend to do that too, when I'm worrying about something. Probably because I'm too busy stress eating.. :gaah: :heehee:
But this forum is a great place for support.. we would have lifted you up.
So glad you are back here and doing ok.

What great news that there's no infection! I'm sorry you were suffering silently but I get it. You're hoping if you share you'll hear only uplifting or positive things, but then there's always the possibility that someone will say something that frightens you even more and you don't want to take that chance. Also ruminating over the "what ifs" is stressful enough without adding others commentary to the mix. I'll bet you're going to have a peaceful weekend now that you're feeling relieved.
Enjoy!

@Layla @leejaa
Thank you for your comments and support!!
With the good news I am planning a nice relaxing weekend.
@CricketHip Haha!! You guessed it right! I was too busy stress eating to get online. I bet I gained 10 lbs this week from all the ice cream, cookies, etc consumed. Starting a diet today.

Enjoy the weekend!!

Hurray for driving @Laskyd Freedom must feel oh so sweet!! Be careful out there. :yahoo:

I am so sorry about your infection scare. Really glad you got it checked out and that everything is healing nicely. Peace of mind is truly priceless. Happy you have some Spring bulbs coming up to brighten your days. Hope you have a relaxing weekend.

Hope you will come here especially when you are worried. It can provide instant comfort and prevent those restless nights from worry. Take care. ❤️

@Fit4Family and all,
Hope you had a wonderful weekend and enjoyed the springtime weather!
It is great to be able to drive!
So far I am doing well. Still cannot walk without a cane or walker but am able to do exercises without a lot of pain,
I am also sleeping better too.
I have another follow up appt at Georgetown this Thursday and hope I get a good report.

Hope everyone has a good week!!

You sound like you are getting on well in your recovery. :loveshwr:

Good luck with the next follow up appt. looking forward to reading about it.

@CricketHip
My surgical NP called me today and said that because my blood tests looked so good she decided to cancel my appt with her this Thursday and I see the surgeon himself (Evans) on March 9. That is good news because the trip to Georgetown hospital is exhausting.
Feeling pretty good now. Just finished home PT with exercises to do on my own. I
Waiting two weeks to start outpatient PT, mainly because the PT I have used in the past is booked up until then.
I know you caution us about excessive PT so I think I should be okay with delaying. My back hurts when I walk on cane too much so I need to go rely more on the walker for any distance

Really glad you don’t have to go back to Georgetown. ❤️ It is a lot to put yourself through.

Hoping you continue progressing with gentle exercises. I am sure you are an excellent patient. You know how to avoid the ODIC. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Hugs.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
We haven’t heard from you in awhile. How are you? I hope you’re doing well and enjoying steady progress. We’d love to hear from you if you have the time.
Take care, be safe, stay well!
@Laskyd

@Layla Thank you so much for the two month anniversary wishes!!
I am doing great. Walking around the house without a cane and just using the cane outdoors for safety.
Because of coronavirus concerns I only went to outpatient PT one time, but was given a bunch of exercises which I do every day.
Although I had the posterior approach, now that it has been 2 months out I can bend past 90 degrees with no problem. My limp is almost gone and my hip feels strong. Before the surgery my injured leg was an inch shorter but now both legs are the same length. I have no pain except sometimes my lower back bothers me when I am walking for a while and I go back to my old bad gait. The daily exercises are really helping me correct my gait.
I am back to gardening again but I am careful to sit in a lawn chair with arms to help me more easily get up. I am able to weed and plant bulbs with no problem.
Every day I go walking through the nature trail near my house and it is a great feeling to walk again!!
My hip replacement by Dr Brian Evans at Georgetown Univ Hospital in DC has been very successful so far. I just need to be careful and not overdo it as I continue to heal.
Thank you so much for asking about me! BoneSmart has been such a valuable resource through my long hip ordeal.
Spring is here and I am so happy to have a new hip!!

Glad to hear you're doing so well @Laskyd :flwrysmile: It's amazing how good it feels without the constant pain we all dealt with before our THR.

:egypdance::happydance::egypdance:
Glad to know you are doing well!!
Onward and upward...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks