THR THR after failed femoral neck fracture pinning

@Layla @Fit4Family @Eman85
Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. I tend to be very impatient and need to remember that this whole recovery process takes a lot of time.
@Eman85 yes No leg lifts for me! My PT actually marked it off my exercise list.
Relieved to hear that you suffered with itching too. Drives me crazy but I will not scratch it because I don’t want the pinkness to return.
I don’t hear of anyone else on this website complaining of itching. Will see my surgeon this Thursday and ask him about it.
Have a great week!! Hoping that winter weather has escaped us this year. We don’t need icy streets

I'm sorry you have the itchies... heard alot of members including @Fit4Family complain of this.
Often it IS a sign of healing...certainly my mother always told me that.
Apparently there is a reason...
I read that when wound is first healing..the cells unite at the center, attach together and contract to pull the wound shut. This process creates a mechanical stress that activates our itch nerves and tells our spinal cord to scratch. These nerve fibers can also be activated by chemicals secreted by our body, which is how wound healing causes itching.
What a complicated thing our bodies are...

Yes! Most definitely healing. I started using Vitamin E oil around 3 weeks. OS said I could, so you may want to ask first. Huge help!!! Winter skin and healing incision made for a crazy amount of itching. I rub it in twice daily. Incision is healing very well.

:loveshwr:@Laskyd

If your OS approves of the Vitamin E oil. Try it on a small part of your body that has fairly sensitive skin first. When I tried it after my knee replacements it caused me to itch more and skin turned red. It might have been many things and I react to odd things periodically but better be safe and test it out. I was quite surprised since it was only Vitamin E.

@leejaa thank you for the warning about vitamin E. That is all I need —to have my incision area turn red and freak me out that I have an infection! I am going to hold off trying it near incision until I see the surgeon Thursday. I don’t have any E in the house now and waiting for a friend to drop some by. Will experiment with it on my arm which is dry and itchy too

With my first the itching was maddening and on top of that I developed a rash above the incision. At 2 weeks my OS removed the tape and said to use hydro cortisone cream on the rash. and it worked. On the second again the itching was annoying and at 2 weeks I peeled the tape off for relief. With both I used some Cerave creme once they were healed and scabs gone.

Happy Valentines Day !!!! Hope everyone had fun with their beloved ones,
Yesterday I saw the surgical NP . The new xrays and everything look great. She saw the pinkness around my incision and thinks my skin is reacting to the incision glue. The skin also looks better than it did last week. Still she wants to see me in two weeks to make sure it doesn’t get worse.
@Eman85 Thanks for sharing your experience with itching and redness! I am in the same situation. The NP did not want me to apply anything on the skin but recommended I take Benadryl for itching. So far I think it is helping a little.
Boy!! I overdid it today. I did some shopping with a friend and used my cane to get around. I seemed fine while I was walking but I am very sore tonight. Will have to take an oxycodone which I had almost stopped taking. Lots of ice tonight!!!

Hello! I am sorry, I missed quite a bit lately on your thread. I was bogged down with some fool project here in our home.. :gaah:
I LOVE that you avoided those dreadful exercises that the PT said to do from that pamphlet! What do people do without resources to help them get through things like this?
Reading your post about has made my day. Kudos to you! It is wise for all of us to question things that are requested of us that don't make sense. Surely we can question without coming across as non cooperative.

BTW- I was itchy as I healed.. I was itchy all over!! Especially my arms and the lateral side of my thigh.. I used Benadryl, also. It helped a bit. I found that using ice paks on my itchies really helped the most.

Happy Valentines Day!! You are still in early days and I think you are doing very well.
Just watch joining into that ODIC ! Don't make it a long time membership.

:thumb:

@CricketHip Thanks for your comments. Haha!! Yep— I experienced a taste of ODIC today and didn’t like it one bit. Will definitely stay out of that zone from now on.
Glad to hear I am not alone with the Itches. And yes I itch everywhere. Benadryl helping some

The oxycodone has a tendency to make me itch all over if I take more than one dose, but I found that much better than pain!

So sorry to hear about the itchiness Issue. :groan:

And yes I itch everywhere.

With my first the itching was maddening

The oxycodone has a tendency to make me itch all over if I take more than one dose,

You all make me glad I refused the oxycodone. I asked for hydromorphone, which I have tolerated very well, from a previous surgery experience, without any itching.

I started using Vitamin E oil around 3 weeks.

Glad to know it worked well for you. My hand surgeon had advised me to use it years ago, and I responded to it well. You would not know I had surgery! He did surgery through a wrinkle. I will ask about this, too.

I hope everyone heals well!

Happy weekend @Laskyd Sorry you are feeling the affects of your time out and about. It never shows up until I sit and then bam you think, what did I do this time?

I have used Benadryl more this time. Really think winter has something to do with it. Itching drives me crazy. I still get it at night and have to put lotion on. Added bonus, the Benadryl knocks me out. Hope you have a good day!

@Fit4Family @VSlowLife @FCBayern
Thank you for your advice on Oxycodone causing itching and the benefits of Benadryl. I have backed off from the oxycodone and the Benadryl seems to be helping the itch.
Today I was a slug because I went ODIC yesterday. Don’t think I am ready for any more shopping trips with the cane. Sticking to the walker.
My biggest problem is insomnia!! Last night I didn’t go to sleep until 430am. It is not that I was in terrible pain. Just couldn’t get comfortable and couldn’t wind down. Hoping for some tonight,
Have a nice Sunday!!

Almost three weeks @Laskyd :SUNsmile:

Hoping sleep is becoming easier for you. Hope your itching is improving too. This weather will surely help. So much warmer than normal. It’s been nice to see some sunshine after our week of rain. Early days, think you will see lots of improvements this next 10 days or so. Take care!

Happy Tuesday! @Laskyd
Sorry to read sleep is elusive. It's a common complaint for sure.
If it continues you may want to look into Magnesium as a possible remedy. It worked for me.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium from the BoneSmart Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I hope today is a good one! :SUNsmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks