THR THR after failed femoral neck fracture pinning

Laskyd

Country
United States United States
Tomorrow is the big day. I am scheduled for posterior THR with Dr Brian Evans at Georgetown University Hospital at 7:30am.
My husband, Bob, and I are staying at their hotel tonight.
It has been a grueling 7 months since I fell down 13 stairs at my home and fractured my femoral neck on June 30. I was rushed by ambulance to RESTON Hosp and a trauma surgeon repaired my hip with three cannulated screws.
After a week in the hospital I was sent to a rehab center for 3 weeks with toe touch weight bearing restrictions. Things looked good until I started having groin pain the first part of Oct.
I was diagnosed with avascular necrosis of femoral head. I also may have a nonunion but that has been questionable.
The pain has been progressively bad, especially now that I am off of NSAIDs until my surgery tomorrow.
I have been very grateful to all of you who have answered my pre op questions, shared your experiences and given me some outstanding advice.
I feel like I have some great friends already on this web site!!
Say a prayer for me tomorrow and I will do the same for you.
I will keep you posted on my surgery.

I've moved several "Best wishes " posts into your pre-o thread, @Laskyd.
I hope your surgery goes well.

Here are the Recovery Guidelines we give to everyone with a new hip:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this advice

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hello :wave: I hope you're resting comfortably by now and your pain is well managed. Will look forward to hearing from you once you're ready.
Happy healing to you! :)
@Laskyd

Thank you all for your well wishes!!
My surgery went well and I was told by the nurse that it was 1hour and 8 mins long.
Had surgery at 730am and still in recovery waiting for a room to open up in the orthopedic floor.
I got scared having a spinal. During recovery it took hours for my left bad leg to get feeling back. Felt horrible to have paralyzed legs.
Thank God both legs are back to normal with all sensation and movement now.
Two people from PT just finished working with me. With a walker they had me walking through the entire recovery area and helped me navigate the toilet. It felt great to have both legs the same length now. After the collapse of femoral head my left bad leg shortened a1/2 to 1 inch. Now it feels like it’s back to normal length.
Thank you for your support!!!
Glad the surgery is over! Will keep you posted

Hope you get to your room soon. It was the same for me last time, spent more time in recovery since room was not quite ready. I really did not care since surgery was over.

Welcome to the healing side. :SUNsmile:

Happy your surgery went well and that your leg length feels more equal. What a relief to have it done. Hope you sleep well tonight and stay ahead of pain.

Ahhh what a relief to have it over with, right? Everything sounds great and hopefully you are in your room by now or maybe at least you've been told it will be soon.
So happy for you! Now rest, ice and elevate and soon you will be back in your home and in your own bed.

Congrats on you new hip! :yay:

:wave: @Laskyd, awesome to see you on the healing side! Hopefully they have you in your room by now so you can get settled in for the night. Try to get some rest and ice.

Thank you all for you well wishes!!! I am still in recovery waiting for a room but just so glad the surgery is over.
The pain is starting. Groin area and knee of operated leg. Waiting for the next oxycodone. I am going to ask that my leg be elevated. I think that would help.
Going to try to sleep and ignore the pain.
Will let you know when I get a room
Best wishes
Debbie

And ask for ice if you don't have any. Make sure you let them know when you need/want meds, some hospitals don't give them unless you ask and you definitely want to stay ahead of the pain as best you can. Glad you're trying to get some sleep it's good for us. :sleep::zzz:

Congratulations it's done and the healing can begin! Agree to stay ahead of the pain monkey at all costs. Rest up and let everyone pamper you for awhile. You deserve it!!

@Calgal is right.

Let them pamper you. Do not be shy about asking for pain meds, more ice. :ice: A little blanket roll under your knee. Whatever you need to make you feel more comfortable.

It’s ok to be honest here. BoneSmart is a safe outlet for your thoughts, which is ever so helpful when recovering. :console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson