Lounge Doctor

THR THR after arthroscopy?

Scruffy Urchin

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been reading some of the threads on your forums and they have been very interesting for someone in my position.

Over 2018-2019 I had arthroscopies in both hips. Initially they both went very well but since May 2020 my left hip has been giving me a lot of sharp pain.

I had x-rays taken and went for a consultation with an NHS orthopaedic surgeon. I told him that the pain was a sharp pain every now and then. Its like a piece of cartilage floating around and every now and then going into the joint so every step is painful.

To be honest what I was looking for was another arthroscopy to remove the floating cartilage.

I was informed by the consultant that the arthroscopies I had undergone where a one stop shop, and the NHS do not do two arthroscopies on the same hip.

I enquired about a THR and he said absolutely NOT as I was to young at 50.

I have made the decision to go private as we have insurance. From reading your forums I think I will be told I need a THR.

As I am in the north east of England I was thinking of having a consultation with Mr Stephen Green.

Has anyone got any advice for me. This is a big decision for me and I would like as much information as possible.

Many thanks

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Scruffy Urchin Welcome to BoneSmart. I assume you are near Sunderland Royal? If so, I would highly recommend Ananda Nanu. A highly skilled surgeon with lots of experience. And just the nicest person you would want to meet. His Spire profile boasts his youngest patient was 11 years old.

The surgeon telling you that you are too young for THR is very old school. We have teenagers on this board who have had THR.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi @Scruffy Urchin and :welome:

Jaycey's advice is good. She has been involved with patient advocacy for some time.

50 is not too young for a THR.

Here is some reading to help you prepare for surgery:
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

OP
OP
S

Scruffy Urchin

Country
@Scruffy Urchin Welcome to BoneSmart. I assume you are near Sunderland Royal? If so, I would highly recommend Ananda Nanu. A highly skilled surgeon with lots of experience. And just the nicest person you would want to meet. His Spire profile boasts his youngest patient was 11 years old.

The surgeon telling you that you are too young for THR is very old school. We have teenagers on this board who have had THR.
Thank you Jaycey, I have seen this surgeon's profile on the spire website but unfortunately he is not on the AXA list. Steven Green is, and he seems to have a good reputation. Do you know anyone who has had a THR preformed by him?

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Do you know anyone who has had a THR preformed by him?
No I don't. But Green's numbers look pretty good and his profile says he treats younger patients. That's exactly what you want to see.

New

Active Antibacterial
STEPS Challenge

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Miah1996
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom