THR THR about 10 days away & so very anxious

@Panicgirl63
I have anxiety, I worry over everything but this really was not that bad. I made it SO much worse than it needed to be. I got to the hospital after worrying all night and once they start your I.V and take you back its over before you even know it started.
I remember starting to cry right before and next thing I knew I was waking up and it felt like it had only been a 10 minute nap.

I had no pain in my leg just felt nauseous once that passed, they give you meds..I was eating lunch, had one more nausea bout and then was heading home by 4pm.
Got home got in recliner and then its just dealing with incision pain and yourleg being heavy feeling...it was no where near as bad as I had imagined in my head..all that time worrying for nothing.
Your going to be fine.
Wish I could have done it Much sooner!! I had to wait a year as I got injured and was having to rely on workers comp and it was a nightmare! Towards the end I was worrying that something was going to prevent me from having surgery..my doctor being ill, kidnapped you name it I worried and imagined it!
Before you know it you will be on here asking if its ok to _____ fill in the blank.
Hang in there...

Hi there Doglover7,

It's the night before my surgery and I am feeling very stressed. Thank you for sharing your journey. I hope my procedure and recovery goes as smoothly as yours. I hate being anxious. No matter how much you try to turn your mind off, the intruding thoughts are still there. I do appreciate your post. Have a nice weekend.

Thank you, Jaycey. I appreciate you thinking of me.

I just saw that your surgery was yesterday. How are you doing? Hope you are doing well!

I'm sorry that you are so stressed about your upcoming surgery.
You know, this is a voluntary operation and you can decide to just not go through with it. Poof! That anxiety is gone and you won't cry over it any more, even though your present anxiety is temporary. But you probably will have months or years of anxiety and tears as your not-so-functional original hip causes you pain, frustration, and loss of quality of life. You can decide which will serve you better over the course of your life.
Your surgeon and the care team will make sure you have effective pain relief all through recovery. My experience was a pain level of about 7 immediately after surgery - snd that was the incision stinging only, nothing to do with the new hip implant. The implant and residual pain level was about a 3 at the worst, and easily controlled with prescribed meds. I still have 15 of the 20 tablets prescribed in the cupboard, a year later.
I was like you, wanting to know what was going on during surgery. But that was only because I'm curious and nosey. It's not like if you are awake and aware that you have any control over the situation anyway, and no one is going to ask for your opinions about what's going on. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Remember that the surgical team does hip replacements every day and it's routine for them, another day at the office.

I've read my intra-operative notes, and the attention I received, and every patient receives, is phenominal. Someone in that OR is very busy making sure your body is doing well, that you're getting everything you need for a great outcome. Even before the surgery, and in PACU, someone is always checking. In my experience, all my concerns were addressed quickly and in a professional manner. The team was fantastic.

I suggest that if you have particular concerns, for instance pain control, talk to your surgeon or his office patient advocate person about it. They can be a great help when you're worried about meds, home care, and anything to do with surgery and recovery.

On the meantime, stay busy. Prepare your little recovery nest, get ahead on household chores like laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping, and that sort of thing. Don't borrow trouble thinking about what ifs, only imagine how great losing that grinding hip pain is going to be. Order and practice with your recovery aids so that you'll be familiar with using them. Read threads here on BoneSmart so you can get realistic perspectives and experiences...and know that good outcomes far outnumber less successful ones.

Don't worry about being worried...most people feel anxiety pre op. Take some time to breath and mindfully relax and think about a great positive outcome.

Best wishes for you.

I'm sorry that you are so stressed about your upcoming surgery.
You know, this is a voluntary operation and you can decide to just not go through with it. Poof! That anxiety is gone and you won't cry over it any more, even though your present anxiety is temporary. But you probably will have months or years of anxiety and tears as your not-so-functional original hip causes you pain, frustration, and loss of quality of life. You can decide which will serve you better over the course of your life.
Your surgeon and the care team will make sure you have effective pain relief all through recovery. My experience was a pain level of about 7 immediately after surgery - snd that was the incision stinging only, nothing to do with the new hip implant. The implant and residual pain level was about a 3 at the worst, and easily controlled with prescribed meds. I still have 15 of the 20 tablets prescribed in the cupboard, a year later.
I was like you, wanting to know what was going on during surgery. But that was only because I'm curious and nosey. It's not like if you are awake and aware that you have any control over the situation anyway, and no one is going to ask for your opinions about what's going on. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Remember that the surgical team does hip replacements every day and it's routine for them, another day at the office.

I've read my intra-operative notes, and the attention I received, and every patient receives, is phenominal. Someone in that OR is very busy making sure your body is doing well, that you're getting everything you need for a great outcome. Even before the surgery, and in PACU, someone is always checking. In my experience, all my concerns were addressed quickly and in a professional manner. The team was fantastic.

I suggest that if you have particular concerns, for instance pain control, talk to your surgeon or his office patient advocate person about it. They can be a great help when you're worried about meds, home care, and anything to do with surgery and recovery.

On the meantime, stay busy. Prepare your little recovery nest, get ahead on household chores like laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping, and that sort of thing. Don't borrow trouble thinking about what ifs, only imagine how great losing that grinding hip pain is going to be. Order and practice with your recovery aids so that you'll be familiar with using them. Read threads here on BoneSmart so you can get realistic perspectives and experiences...and know that good outcomes far outnumber less successful ones.

Don't worry about being worried...most people feel anxiety pre op. Take some time to breath and mindfully relax and think about a great positive outcome.

Best wishes for you.
Hi everyone I'm

Hi everyone , I'm reaching out to you all as I'm scheduled for THR on Friday this week and I'm so scared I'm trying to keep it together and face my fears my thoughts are running away with me all the what ifs are bothering me and will I cope afterwards ect I would appreciate your help .

Hi all. Thank you for all your support. Just wanted to update that I did not get the hip replacement done on 10/8 as planned. Went into Manhattan to have the hip done as scheduled. After being sedated, apparently someone on the anesthesiologist's team had some sort of medical emergency, blacked out, fell down and dragged me down to the floor with him. I woke up thinking the replacement was done, only to have a huge bump on my head that required a CAT scan. Thankfully, nothing happened but I am so very shook up as things could have been so much worse. I suffer from anxiety disorder and it took all of my strength to overcome my fears to get this procedure done. I feel terribly let down and don't have much faith in the medical community right now. My question to all of you is would you go with the same doctor and hospital moving forward or would you consider someone else? Has this happened to any of you? I am so very lucky that nothing worse happened and I'm still here to talk about it. How can I get past my fear now?

I am so sorry if I alarmed anyone who is facing the fear of surgery as I have. Just wanted to be completely honest and let you know what happened to me. I'm sure your surgeries will go as planned and be uneventful as this was a stroke of very bad luck for me. I did see a bunch of people whose surgeries were successful and they walked out of there the same day. Please forgive me if I made anyone upset. God bless.

@Panicgirl63 Ye gads, what a horrible thing to happen to you (and the person the medical emergency happened to). I am sure this a very rare occurrence and is very unlikely to happen again. Have they rescheduled your surgery yet? Sending you virtual hugs and comforting vibes :friends:

Yes, to all your questions! What happened to you was purely an unfortunate accident, upsetting for sure and not anything anyone ever would ever anticipate.

10 years of pain…enough, time to enjoy life again. I know, I’ve had both my hips done, one in 2010 and one in 2017 and it’s the SMARTEST/BEST decision I ever made. It has given me back all these pain free past 12/5 years. I’m back here again now, because I need a TKR and stumbled on your post.

Of course your scared and anxious and worried…it’s surgery on your body. It would be unnatural if you weren’t, but walk through it anyhow…which you’ve already done (not fair what happened to you…but…)

Even with my second surgery those demons returned, and I already knew what freedom was coming to me! Our thoughts can be our worst enemy! I’ve a Master’s Degree in the “what ifs?” I remember being wheeled into the OR, so bright and sterile; everyone was chatting about this/that and I thought “hold on here, time to get serious.” I think one of the nurses must have read the expression on my face because she came right over to me. I said, “ please hold my hand, I’m so scared.” She reached for my hand and said, “honey, we know you’d scared, but we do these every day and we’re very good at what we do. We won’t let anything happen to you.” And they didn’t.

Yes, there is some pain with recovery, but they give you meds and it is temporary, will stop and the pain you have now will be gone.

We are so blessed by all the wonderful advancements medicine has made. You can do this.

Oh my word I was looking to see if you’d had your surgery and saw what happened to you. It’s the most terrible bad luck you could imagine.

I worked in theatres for nearly 30 years and apart from medical students I’ve only known one person who passed out.

Although it’ll be really hard for you the best thing you can do is stay where you are and just get it done.

Have they offered you a new date?

Oh no and oh wow! I’m so sorry that happened to you and the anesthesiologist! I’m glad your head is okay. I don’t have any new words of wisdom other than I’m thinking of you.

Wow that is crazy. Make sure they thoroughly treat your head and any other issues. I’d be strongly considering either a new practice or a steep discount!

Oh my stars!!! @Panicgirl63
After being sedated, apparently someone on the anesthesiologist's team had some sort of medical emergency, blacked out, fell down and dragged me down to the floor with him.

What horrible timing for you and him.
Certainly no-one could have predicted something like that and the whole team would have been in a panic.
Who knows if he had any knowledge of his issue beforehand but it sounds like this could also be something that could end his career.
I do hope you are okay and can get re-scheduled soon.
What a story you'll have to tell later, when you are all healed and healthy and happy.

Have you got a new date for your op yet?

@Panicgirl63 Just checking in to see how you are doing. Did you get rescheduled for surgery?

Hi there Hip4Life, Thank you for checking in on me. I got a reschedule date of 2/1/23. It's very far off, but they said they would let me know if they get a cancellation. If they got a cancellation for late November/early December, I don't think I would like to do that since it's so close to Christmas. I don't want to be in pain for the holidays. My trauma feelings are starting to fade and I'm happy about that. I'm starting to see that it was just an unfortunate accident and not the doctor's fault. Have a great week and thank you again for thinking of me. Be well.

@Panicgirl63 As you can see from my profile, I have been on this forum a very long time. I can honestly say you are the first member who has had this unfortunate experience. I'm so sorry you suffered all that trauma and sad you must wait so long now.

We will be here for you!

@Panicgirl63 It's amazing how a little perspective and time can take the edge off some of our more intense emotions. I'm glad you got a new surgery date. I'm always taken by surprise how quickly those dates that seem a ways off can sneak up on us. This might be especially true with the hustle and bustle of the upcoming holidays. In any case, we'll be here for you between now and then if you need us. Blessings.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft