THR THR about 10 days away & so very anxious

Panicgirl63

Country
United States United States
Hi all. My name says it all. I'm totally panicked about my hip replacement surgery which is just about 10 days away. I suffer from anxiety disorder, so this is just ramping up my nervousness. I don't know how to stop thinking of them cutting into me and me not knowing what is going on. I also am worried about how much pain I will be in afterwards and whether I can handle it. I can't sleep thinking of the surgery and spend my day crying and wish I never had to do this. Can anyone please help me get these anxious thoughts and worries off my mind? Does anyone out there suffer with anxiety/panic attacks? I do take medication for this but I still have alot of anxiety. I have Xanax for emergencies, but I don't want to take too much of it and get addicted to it. Can anyone please help? I am really scared of this surgery. Thank you for your time.

I'm sorry that you are so stressed about your upcoming surgery.
You know, this is a voluntary operation and you can decide to just not go through with it. Poof! That anxiety is gone and you won't cry over it any more, even though your present anxiety is temporary. But you probably will have months or years of anxiety and tears as your not-so-functional original hip causes you pain, frustration, and loss of quality of life. You can decide which will serve you better over the course of your life.
Your surgeon and the care team will make sure you have effective pain relief all through recovery. My experience was a pain level of about 7 immediately after surgery - snd that was the incision stinging only, nothing to do with the new hip implant. The implant and residual pain level was about a 3 at the worst, and easily controlled with prescribed meds. I still have 15 of the 20 tablets prescribed in the cupboard, a year later.
I was like you, wanting to know what was going on during surgery. But that was only because I'm curious and nosey. It's not like if you are awake and aware that you have any control over the situation anyway, and no one is going to ask for your opinions about what's going on. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Remember that the surgical team does hip replacements every day and it's routine for them, another day at the office.

I've read my intra-operative notes, and the attention I received, and every patient receives, is phenominal. Someone in that OR is very busy making sure your body is doing well, that you're getting everything you need for a great outcome. Even before the surgery, and in PACU, someone is always checking. In my experience, all my concerns were addressed quickly and in a professional manner. The team was fantastic.

I suggest that if you have particular concerns, for instance pain control, talk to your surgeon or his office patient advocate person about it. They can be a great help when you're worried about meds, home care, and anything to do with surgery and recovery.

On the meantime, stay busy. Prepare your little recovery nest, get ahead on household chores like laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping, and that sort of thing. Don't borrow trouble thinking about what ifs, only imagine how great losing that grinding hip pain is going to be. Order and practice with your recovery aids so that you'll be familiar with using them. Read threads here on BoneSmart so you can get realistic perspectives and experiences...and know that good outcomes far outnumber less successful ones.

Don't worry about being worried...most people feel anxiety pre op. Take some time to breath and mindfully relax and think about a great positive outcome.

Best wishes for you.

@Panicgirl63, anxiety is a bear, isn't it? I am also a "panic girl" and take meds for anxiety and panic disorder. Like you, I was pretty flipped out before my first THR two years ago. This time things are much easier because I know what's in store. What helped me was knowing that everybody involved wants the very best for you -- they want to control your pain, they want you to be comfortable, they have seen it ALL. They've done hundreds, if not thousands, of these operations and If you are anxious about a particular aspect of the surgery, say, the anesthesia or the pain, you can discuss that with your team. If you're worried about the precautions afterwards, know that dislocation is rare and if you are mindful about how you move and you take it nice and easy, you'll be fine. If it's a generalized anxiety, maybe try to not go to the "what if x bad happens" place. Remember to breathe, cry if you need to, and think forward to the time when this will be behind you and you'll be walking in your favorite woods or on the beach or shopping with a friend. It's really normal to be anxious before surgery. I asked my doc if I could take a xanax the night before, just to sleep, and he said that would be absolutely fine. And I wonder, if your meds aren't sufficiently controlling your break-through panic, maybe you can discuss that with your doctor. I really do know how you feel and how crippling anxiety can be. You're not alone, though, not here with all of us holding your hand. I agree with everything @subie2021 said and would just add, "You've got this!!!"

Last edited:
Hi Panicgirl63,
Welcome to BoneSmart and thanks for joining us. I understand your anxiety and apprehension. I felt the same. I had a three month wait when I finally scheduled my surgery and consoled myself with the fact that I could back out at any time, no one was forcing me to undergo surgery. However, I knew I wouldn't cancel only to go through the same anxiety at a later date because I needed the surgery and understood the relief it would bring. When I was stuck in fear mode, I'd remind myself of my ever shrinking world and all of the things I could no longer do, or do with ease. Personally, I relied heavily on my faith and prayed that I would continue to move forward with the plan unless basically an act of God stopped me...which never happened. I often prayed for peace mind also.

Everyone you deal with on the day of surgery will be doing what they were trained to do and what they do best. It will be just another day at your surgery site to them. Just as you, they want the best possible outcome for you and will work to achieve that. They’ll put your mind at ease from the beginning and help you realize you’re in good hands. If you're nervous, share that with them, they will give you something to take the edge off. Try not to project in the area of pain because it is normally well managed and if what you are prescribed isn't working well, your meds or dosage can be readjusted.

Keep this in mind -
Joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again

Surgery will soon be in your rear view and you’ll join the chorus of “If I only knew, I wouldn’t have been as nervous.” Wishing you comfort, peace of mind, an uneventful surgery and easy peasy recovery!
Hugs:console2:

Oh, @Panicgirl63 I was so nervous, too. It’s so totally normal. Some of my anxiety was because I pretty much knew what was going to be going on while I was out. You see, I worked on that side of the fence. If I can assure you even just a little bit: those care givers take their responsibility very seriously. Even though it’s just another “day at the office,” they understand the immense trust you are giving them and how vulnerable you feel. You might be a “stranger” but you will be the most important person in the room. My colleagues and I always cared for our patients like we would want our family members to be taken care of. Let them know how you are feeling and what you need. They’ll take care of the rest and let them. They’ve dedicated their lives to it.

I totally understand your feelings I am new on here and I'm scheduled for THR 14 October I'm so very scared I suffer with anxiety too and panic attacks and my fear is taking over I hope we can both get help from others on here to get us through this .

@Suedeboot I'm October 12. I've been struggling to get the courage for this hip replacement for two years. It has totally terrified me into delay delay delay.
Thing that scares me most is I'm about 50lb heavier than I wanted to be for this surgery & I fear the rehab & increased dislocation risk. But like my surgeon said "how can you lose weight when you can't move". I need crutches to walk....like a turtle with two broken legs. So I've enlisted my peers & moderators on Bonesmart to help me overcome my fears. Just like you. I finally made the decision that I simply cannot live the rest of my life like this. Like you I'm scared. I'm dreading it. I'm still terrified of the whole thought. But I also oddly have a sense of calm. A sense of peace that I didn't previously have. Try, as I am, to remember we are doing this because the end result is a pain free life....at least in that particular hip. Do you know others who've had this surgery? I know many. Across the board their biggest complaint is "I wish I'd done this sooner". That's how I'm looking at it. Taking a step with my left leg without screaming out in pain. Now I'll only scream with my right hip. Lol We definitely aren't looking forward to the surgery & rehabilitation but we are looking forward to the result of it. The better quality of life. The reduced or eliminated pain.
Lots of people here are scheduled in October. It helps to talk to people in similar situations & also those in the been there done that situation. You'll find them both here on Bonesmart. I'm happy you found this site & I think it will probably help you as it did me!

The way I tried to look at is that the surgeon and their staff do this literally every week. Several times each week. They know what to look for and what makes an operation successful. You are literally in their hands and you can simply treat it like a pilot flying your plane. Look ahead to the landing when you wake up free from that nasty aching pain, knowing you will soon be on your way to recovery.

Thank you all so very much for taking the time to respond to my message. Just knowing that there are others who are scared makes me feel not so alone and that it's totally normal to feel this way. My friends and family have been telling me for close to a decade to have this surgery. I understand they care and want to see me walking again, but I almost feel like they don't understand how difficult this is to do. Especially for someone like me who has an anxiety disorder. It's so hard to shut my brain down when I am faced with something that makes me uncomfortable. I know this surgery will help me in the long run and I hope that I can walk into the hospital remembering that. Thank you all so very much for your support. It means so much to me. I don't know any of you personally, but I feel like we share a special bond. I may need to rely on all of you again for your support and encouragement as my surgery fast approaches.

I may need to rely on all of you again for your support and encouragement as my surgery fast approaches.
We are here for you @Panicgirl63 ! Keep busy and keep posting here. It does help when you share your concerns with other members who have been there or who are going through the same anxiety.

You won't regret having this life changing surgery!

Hi panicgirl Thankyou for your reply yes my brother had THR 12 years ago so I have found talking to him a great support like me he was horrified at the thought of surgery but had no choice he was almost dragging his leg to walk he faced his fears and got through it he encourages me so much I hope I can find the strength like him.

Good morning @Panicgirl63,
These doctors and nurses are absolute professionals.

If you are concerned about nausea ask for zofran. The anesthesiologist can put a patch on you.

The nurse(s) will ask if you want pain meds while you are in the hospital. Say yes.

I was not in *any* pain when I woke up. But I said yes anyway. I figured it was a good way to check for any bad reaction while they were all watching me.

Also be aware that Day 3 at home may be hardest pain control wise. The long acting meds from the surgery have worn off. Pain pills and icing the hip continuously help.

Thankyou so much for your replies I don't feel so alone knowing others have experienced the same , and who have faced the op with the same fears . It is a great comfort to know you are only a message away if I get too overwhelmed with my over thinking as my op date gets closer .

I'm sorry that you are so stressed about your upcoming surgery.
You know, this is a voluntary operation and you can decide to just not go through with it. Poof! That anxiety is gone and you won't cry over it any more, even though your present anxiety is temporary. But you probably will have months or years of anxiety and tears as your not-so-functional original hip causes you pain, frustration, and loss of quality of life. You can decide which will serve you better over the course of your life.
Your surgeon and the care team will make sure you have effective pain relief all through recovery. My experience was a pain level of about 7 immediately after surgery - snd that was the incision stinging only, nothing to do with the new hip implant. The implant and residual pain level was about a 3 at the worst, and easily controlled with prescribed meds. I still have 15 of the 20 tablets prescribed in the cupboard, a year later.
I was like you, wanting to know what was going on during surgery. But that was only because I'm curious and nosey. It's not like if you are awake and aware that you have any control over the situation anyway, and no one is going to ask for your opinions about what's going on. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Remember that the surgical team does hip replacements every day and it's routine for them, another day at the office.

I've read my intra-operative notes, and the attention I received, and every patient receives, is phenominal. Someone in that OR is very busy making sure your body is doing well, that you're getting everything you need for a great outcome. Even before the surgery, and in PACU, someone is always checking. In my experience, all my concerns were addressed quickly and in a professional manner. The team was fantastic.

I suggest that if you have particular concerns, for instance pain control, talk to your surgeon or his office patient advocate person about it. They can be a great help when you're worried about meds, home care, and anything to do with surgery and recovery.

On the meantime, stay busy. Prepare your little recovery nest, get ahead on household chores like laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping, and that sort of thing. Don't borrow trouble thinking about what ifs, only imagine how great losing that grinding hip pain is going to be. Order and practice with your recovery aids so that you'll be familiar with using them. Read threads here on BoneSmart so you can get realistic perspectives and experiences...and know that good outcomes far outnumber less successful ones.

Don't worry about being worried...most people feel anxiety pre op. Take some time to breath and mindfully relax and think about a great positive outcome.

Best wishes for you.
Hello panicgirl just a message to ask if you have had your THR and how are you .

Hi Suedeboot. Thank you for reaching out to me. I have not had the surgery yet. Scheduled for Saturday 10/8. I am very nervous and scared. Did a bit of crying today. Don't know how I am going to do this.

How are you? Do you have your surgery scheduled and are you nervous about it?

Again, thank you for thinking of me. It means alot.

I'm sorry to read that you were crying. It's ok to be frightened and worried. It's a natural human reaction.

I can't wait to read your recovery thread and hear how you are doing. Hopefully like me, you will feel a ton of relief afterwards!!

Make your day tomorrow a special one for yourself. It tends to zip past quickly. Wishing you the very best on Saturday!!!

Crickethip, thank you for thinking of me. I appreciate you reaching out to me. It means alot.

Hi Suedeboot. Thank you for reaching out to me. I have not had the surgery yet. Scheduled for Saturday 10/8. I am very nervous and scared. Did a bit of crying today. Don't know how I am going to do this.

How are you? Do you have your surgery scheduled and are you nervous about it?

Again, thank you for thinking of me. It means alot.
Hi panicgirl my surgery is 14th next week I'm terrified I too don't know how to get through it I want to run for the hills, but some how I've got to find my inner strength I send you hugs and I will be thinking of you we will do this TOGETHER

@Panicgirl63 All the best tomorrow! We are with you all the way! See you on the other side soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back