THR THR/A Doing Well

Jaycey,

Not having any pain except as I step from one leg to the next with full weight ... zero pain otherwise, no ache, nada. I had zero pain since day one, frankly ... sit with no pain, stand with no pain, lift leg to position for car ride with no pain, lift let above pillows and arm of sofa for elevating without pain.

Not having any pain except as I step from one leg to the next with full weight
Oh but you are indeed having pain as you say - when you step. This is most likely just post op pain that needs to be treated. It will calm down - but staying ahead of this pain will let you get more mobile.

It's up to you really - no need to take any pain medication but if you take that route you will need to limit your activity severely and rest so that this does not become chronic.

Sorry - forgot to note I am pretty mobile with cane and/or single crutch ... and, after doing nothing but rlevating and icing on and off yesterday, it does seem a bit better.

Again, very much appreciate the care and advice!

I agree with, Jaycey, that what you're experiencing could be considered normal post op pain. But I also feel you overdid it for a few days. Since you also seem to be pinpointing overdoing it as the cause, it seems even more apparent. Also through rest, elevation and icing yesterday, you mention it's getting better, another sign you were flirting with the ODIC.

Overall...I think you're doing great, I feel you'll be fine and receive the same reassurance tomorrow. Wishing you comfort for today. I hope your pain completely diminishes soon. Let us know how tomorrow goes.

Guess what? Today is special...Happy Two Week Anniversary! You're on your way. :happydance:
@ForumUser

@ForumUser recovery is all about finding your limits - scaling back if needed and trying again another day. Two weeks out is very early days. Slow and steady - you will get there!

Take a look at the make up of the muscles in your leg. Picture what they did to you to remove your hip. Then run your hand over your leg and try and feel the muscle groups. You'll then see what hurts and why it hurts. You've now found how far you can go before going too far. Now the hard part is accepting that parameter and not crossing it for a while. It's not like working those muscles will make them feel better. The only thing that makes them feel better is rest.

Thanks, Eman, Jaycey and Layla,

Today was better ... the second day of just being on the sofa or in a chair, elevating and icing ... still pain when full weight on op leg, but with one crutch has improved from yesterday.

I can move leg very well to get in and out of car - still passenger. Can move up and over end of sofa and a pillow with almost no thought. Still being careful.

Tomorrow is X-ray day! Don’t know if they will peel off the ZipLine device ...

Since you're seeing improvement with the rest plan you've engaged in over the past couple days, I'd keep it up until you're back to where you were...then proceed with caution.
I'm glad yesterday was better for you. Hopefully today is even better. Let us know how your appt goes.
Best of luck and Happy Wednesday!
@ForumUser

Day 15

Follow up with surgeon’s PA ... X-rays look fine, looked straight, good centering in the femur. Interestingly, the X-ray provided the first time I was able understand the comparatively larger diameter of the new femoral ball/acetabular cup vs the other replacement from 20 years ago - the PA spent time explaining the design changes over time. First one was a DePuy and this one a Stryker.

Explained chronology of my experience, I said I had hoped nothing mechanical (she had already reviewed and discussed Xrays), she said most likely, based on your activity level, you’ve torn an internal stitch - several layers. She was completely unconcerned, said pretty common with overly aggressive post op, and to just go slower.

She peeled off the ZipLine closure device (no discomfort), closure looked good. Apparently, she does all the closure work for this surgeon’s knees and hips. She noted she had just started using ZipLine because it worked well, and she could tighten and loosen the tabs along the incision at the time of installation in order to balance the tension.

Saw surgeon in hall, mentioned chronology, he smiled and said, yeah, likely a stitch.

All sounds good. Thanks for updating. I hope you found the visit and conversations with the PA and surgeon reassuring and continue to take it easy.
Have a great Wednesday!
@ForumUser

A bit better ... much more comfortable stepping - still using a bit of crutch. Still not like before whatever happened happened .

Piercing pain from yesterday when stepping is now more like day 3 or day 4. Better.

You know what happened. The weekend in pictures -
On Friday there was this :walking: then some of this too :dancy:
Saturday :walking: some of this :dancy: then this :happyfeet:
Sunday :walking: then more of this :dancy: and this again :walking:
Then this happened :swoon: Now you're doing this :climb:
But, with :sleep: and :ice: you'll be back to this :walking: in no time.

Wishing you comfort as you bounce back.
@ForumUser

Day 16

Slept well, even a bit on the op incision - without the ZipLine closure the site is smoother and more comfortable to touch.

A bit less pain on stepping, so this trend continues ... still not back to day 9/10, but better!

Best news I've heard yet today! I'm happy for you.
Continue doing whatever you're doing that's getting you back to where you were.
Then you can slowly build on that by keeping up with the Activity Progression for THR in these early weeks -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

I know you've read it, but I really feel it will help you from suffering another setback. It was my "go to" in the early days / weeks.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful day. Happy Thursday!
@ForumUser

You had new tie rod and ball joint assembled less than one month ago.
Glad things are easing some.
Lots of improvement to come.
Healing mojo coming your way:tada:

Oh yeah ...bruising STILL inner thigh ... yellowed, but still there. Feels like someone used a big hammer to remove the old ball joint!

Muscles in op leg still sore ...

No pain from implant, but still a bit as full weight rotates onto during stepping.

Icing ...icing...icing. A little walking in between.

Hope the days continue to improve for you.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend!
Take it s-l-o-w and e-a-s-y this time around :wink:
@ForumUser

Day 17

Waaay better today ... I have been elevating and icing consistently ... limited walking.

Just now beginning to feel normal as the weight shifts to and from the op hip ...

Short walks around house ... if continue to improve, I’ll start slowly moving outside tomorrow.

Got a chance to offer advice to a friend just home from yesterday’s anterior hip replacement ... “do as I was told, not as I did.”

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi
Recent bookmarks
Back